turns out yoke isnt evil

Soapbox
Soapbox Posts: 38
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Well after doing some reading and trying to make a egg salad sandwich with just egg whites . ( its really gross) i decided to check if egg yoke is really that bad for you. Turns out in moderation it has the most nutrients in the egg. So i just wasted food by throwing them out.

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    It's true that in moderation (1 or 2 a week for healthy people) they are ok, but most of the protein is in the egg whites, and most of the fat is in the yolk. For people like me, who can't have that high dose of cholesterol, egg whites are better. But boy, do I miss them! I don't think I would like an egg salad sandwich made with only egg whites either. I have gotten used to eggbeaters (egg whites). I scramble them with onions, red peppers and mushrooms--one of my favorites!
  • Robrowald
    Robrowald Posts: 64 Member
    The yolk is the best part of the IMHO.
  • I have the WHOLE egg. More than 1 or 2 times a week too. Eggs get such bad press.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    actually the yolk has ALOT of protein...eggs yolks have gotten a bad rap all this time and it's simply not true... I eat the whole thing!:love:
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,326 Member
    Egg White Egg Yolk
    Calories 17 59
    Fat (g) .06 4.51
    Saturated Fat (g) 0 1.6
    Carbs (g) .24 .61
    Protein (g) 3.6 2.7
    Cholesterol (mg) 0 210
    Sodium (mg) 55 8
    Calcium (mg) 2.3 21.9
    Vitamin D (IU) 0 18
    Folate (mcg) 1.3 24.8
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,326 Member
    Egg whites have less calories17 vs 59, Egg whites have less fat - 0 vs 1.6 fat, they have less carbs, they have 3.6 g of protein but the yolks have 2.7 which is not that much less. and yolks have all the cholesterol. But the whites have all the sodium, alot less calcium, none of the vitamin D and hardly any of the folate. If you have high cholesterol you may limit your eggs but if not eat the whole egg. The yolk has some great nutrition. I usually have 2 a week for sure but do not worry if I add 1 in to something I am making for me or my family.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Eggs get bad press. The whole egg is best for you- the white has relatively little nutritional value. From this article:
    http://healthmad.com/nutrition/is-eating-egg-yolk-bad-for-your-health/

"Egg yolks have positive health benefits. When you look at the egg as a whole, eggs yolks contain all of the essential fatty acids found in the egg, including the important omega-3 fats. They also contain more than eighty percent of the vitamins and minerals, including iron, potassium, folate, selenium, vitamins A and E, and the B vitamins. When eating egg yolks or the whole egg you’re getting valuable nutrients that are absent from egg substitutes and egg white products. Egg yolks are also a good source of carotenoids which help to protect against macular degeneration of the eye as well as choline which is important for brain health."

Jackie Warner's book "This is Why You're Fat" actually states the scientific reasons why eggs are good for you and discusses that there are components to egg yolks that can help you lose weight. She recommends 2 whole eggs per day, every day. I do that and my cholesterol is just fine.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    MMM I love the whole egg, I even eat the yolk my kids won't (texture thing for them).
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    I eat the whole egg and quite often. I have great cholesterol.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    I also have several a week...I would hate to be restricted and all the latest studies have eggs firmly back in our diets again. (until the next scare!)

This from http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/healthy_eating/how_many_eggs.htm

New Eggs and Weight Loss Study
    WLR has known for a few years that eating eggs can really help when you’re trying to shed the pounds and a new study by Dr Carrie Ruxton backs up out theories.

Nutrition scientists are recommending we eat at least one egg a day after discovering eggs are one of the most nutrient-rich foods. Eggs are low in calories and full of essential amino acids, selenium, choline and vitamins like vitamin D and B12. They are also great to have for breakfast (link to: recipes/breakfast-eggs.htm)because they help to keep you fuller for longer.

So, the old adage ‘go to work on an egg’ is true from both a health and a weight loss perspective!

ON CHOLESTEROL AND EGGS

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/healthydiet/eggsandpulsesq/

Basically unless you have been told recently to avoid eggs then eat and enjoy them. If you were told a while ago that you should avoid eggs check with a dietician that has heard, read and understood the latest finding. Prawns are also back on the menu for some of those with high cholesterol. Check with a dietician before reintroducing foods previously restricted
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    I have boilded eggs always on the ready. I add the whites to my salad, my snacks and some times just eat them by them self. I do have a yoke now and then but no more than 1 per day.

As for the egg salade, I would have not problem with just white and would change the yoke with something else if needed.
  • There are a lot of misconceptions about so-called "high cholesterol" foods, particularly coming from doctors, who don't get much nutrition training. The reality is that most of the cholesterol in our bodies is manufactured by our bodies themselves, and is manufactured in greater abundance when we eat more CARBS. The egg yolks do have more cholesterol, but they also have lecithin, which counteracts the cholesterol and is very good for your body, as are a lot of the other things in the yolk. The fat in egg yolks is mostly monounsaturated fat, which is the good kind of fat in olive oil.

Eat the whole egg. It's good for you, and wasteful not to eat it.

For more info, Google the name of well-known nutritionist Jonny Bowden along with the word eggs.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    I would say that unless your doctor says to lower your cholesterol, eating eggs is fine.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    The only time I have ever liked an egg yolk is in a deviled egg. Don't like taste or texture and never have but as long as your calories and fat and cholesterol limits they are a natural food not a man made one so have at it.
This discussion has been closed.