burned 707 in body combat?

I did a body combat class at golds last night. Its 1hr. My polar said I burned 707. Does that sound right? I do 30 on the elliptical and burn a little over 200. I might be doing these classes more often!

Replies

• BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    I'm not sure what the body combat involves but it's possible! When I was doing R.I.P.P.E.D. at the YMCA last year my HRM said I burned about 650-700. I thought I was going to die afterwards but it was a good burn! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'm going to say that it is inflated...body combat is not a steady state cardio event...you're going to have spikes in your HR which is going to spike your calorie burn on the monitor, but not in real life. Your HR is not directly correlated to your calorie burn...the algorithm used by the monitor assumes a steady state aerobic event.

It's really hard to burn more than about 10 calories per hour above and beyond your basal calories give or take....at most I'd say 500 calories for 60 minutes of body combat class...probably somewhere between 400 - 500.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    very doubtful
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    For those of us without HRM, does this mean we really shouldn't log more than 400 calories (because its unlikely) for an hour of exercise, no matter what it is?
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    I generally go with 300-400 per hour depending on what it is.

I believe that over estimating calorie burns is a leading reason for the dreaded "I am not losing weight" threads here.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    For those of us without HRM, does this mean we really shouldn't log more than 400 calories (because its unlikely) for an hour of exercise, no matter what it is?

depends on bodyweight, type of exercise and intensity of effort.