Lower Stomach Cramping, Electrolytes & Workout Blues

Options
UGH.

Yesterday I posted about previous stomach cramping and Potassium. I appreciated everyones suggestions and feedback..

I made a smoothie with Coconut water before my work out...

I am unemployed right now and do not have health coverage...Cardio and light weights has been my only medicine, and has been helping me so much with endorphin lift and anxiety busting etc while in transition...the cramps (they are lower ab not side stich)are really frustrating and signaling that something is not quite right. It makes sense it would be electrolytes etc...BUT how do I get them in balance? Im working out average of 8-10 hours....mostly because cardio etc is really helping me get through this period of unemployment and lifting my spirits while also getting more fit etc. I would appreciate if someone in the know could look at my diary, reports etc....and see if anything jumps out regarding my stats...

I went to 3 mile running clinic last night and 15-20 minutes in the cramping started again & I had to cut my run short, walk some & drink Gatorade (which doesn't seem like the right ongoing plan)...and felt overall heavy & sluggish (have been generally feeling this way last two weeks...someone told me its called bonking?! Trying to figure how to eat, timing, how to restore, replenish and put my body in balance as I definitely don't feel like I have the right fuel in my system lately...Im really new here at MFP and I think need to understand the bigger picture of how to adjust my lifestyle--food & exercise to balance out...

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or feedback....the set backs of cramps is bringing me down...and I have limited budget --I did call Hammer as a cyclist friend recommended and they have a bunch of supplements--and they where actually trying to consult --explaining glycogen stores...and Im a bit dizzy with information. Would supplement's be the only way to correct this? Seems expensive and not something I would want to do long term...You cant eat for 3 hours before work outs when taking suppliments which seems intense to me--and not something I could sustain...Look forward to hearing experience, wisdom & hope in this area :) Pace, Lisa Its happened last week Sunday 25 minutes into 60 minute Spin class, 15 minutes into Cardio Kick Box (2-3 weeks before), and last night 20 minutes into light run...I had empty stomach the first two times, last night I had smoothie before hand

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    If a doctor told you that you had "very low potassium", then go back and ask them to find the cause. There is almost certainly a medical reason why you are losing potassium. It is probably NOT related to your diet, since deficiencies are rare . More on that here:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/low-potassium/basics/causes/sym-20050632

Mention the cramping to your doctor too, because it could very well be related.
    Does it feel like your intestines, or the surface muscles?
  • bombshellcertification
    bombshellcertification Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    A dr did not diagnose me. I just was going by the reports here, the cramping and the fact that Gatorade as suggested by instructor who told me cramping is sign of potassium depletion and the gatorade does seem to relieve the cramp within 15 minutes...but they are now reoccurring, limiting me and my energy in day to day also is suffering...want to prevent cramps and have energy back that I naturally had before...and be able to complete work outs...

The cramping feels more deep and hard to say, but it is right below where the fattest/puffiest part of stomach. SOme one told me that's where energy stores are pulled from or blood goes to help cardiovascular system..to do what it needs to do, closest to the largest muscle groups...

I have been doing pilates with light weights in a class in addition to cardio to strengthen core, work on posture & overall tone up--the tummy is a fairly new development in the last year or so..figuring my age, metabolism slowing down, harmones etc..I was really having no problem in my cardio classes before...but working up quite the sweat, clearly losing salt, electrolytes...