App/tracker suggestions?

Options
I fell into the typical "meet someone, stop dating, gain weight" scenario, and I'm not happy about it. I'm a city boy and we've recently moved about an hour east of the city, and I find myself being lazy and sedentary.

I've recently joined a gym (fiance has as well, but she works long shifts and won't go as often as me). I'm in need of suggestions for working out.

I've downloaded and signed up for MFP (obviously), and the other two main apps I use are Zombies, Run (for treadmill at gym, or actual running) and The Walk. I'm a horror junkie and a freelance writer specializing in games and technology, so clearly gamification works for me. Other apps I have are RunKeeper and Fitocracy, and am just starting to use them.

For fitness trackers, what do you suggest? I was going to pick up a Fitbit Force a while ago, but Fitbit then recalled that line.

UP24 or Fitbit Flex, basically? I've no interest in the FuelBand, even less so now that Nike won't be continuing that product.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+ for running and really like it.
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 of my FitBit Flex. So far so good. The sleep tracker is kinda cool too.
  • JJ48Fan
    JJ48Fan Posts: 50
    Options
    I use the Jawbone 24, it's a great app IMO. I started with the Jawbone Up and recently upgraded.
  • jayele72
    jayele72 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ive always used some form of fitbit. I currently use the Force with no issues whatsoever.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I had an UP24 for about 4 days and then returned it, the app isn't very good or in depth, it only works if you have a data connection and your phone must be bluetooth 4.0 compatible. It also kills your phone battery really quickly because it doesn't have an option to turn off syncing in the background.

I have the fitbit one and it does pretty much everything better (sleep tracking on the UP24 is better). It doesn't go on your wrist, it can go in a pocket or on a belt. It's holder for sleep tracking is a little cumbersome and fitbit's doesn't do that great with algorithms on sleep tracking any way. With background syncing off, it doesn't burn through my phones battery. I can take a look at my data on a computer or my phone. It also tracks how many flights of stairs you have gone up. I also really like not having to wear it on my wrist.
  • jrgriffin82
    jrgriffin82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just got the Garmin Vivofit last week and I'm really liking it so far. I've never used any of the others but from what I've heard on reviews the Garmin app isn't as good as some of the others but they're still working on improving it. The reason I went with the vivofit is because it can be paired with a heart rate monitor for more accurate calorie burn data on workouts that are not strictly step related (i.e. cycling, zumba, lifting weights...) The vivofit and the polar loop are the only two activity bands as of right now that can pair with a heart rate monitor. I chose the vivofit over the polar loop because you don't have to charge it and because there were more color options. Supposedly the battery in the vivofit should last about a year then you just change the battery. Right now the garmin app doesn't sync with MFP but I've heard they're working on that. For the time being I just enter the information from the garmin app into MFP myself.
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Endomondo for the iphone... used GPS to track your routes, speed, distance, calories burned and heart rate if you have a heart rate monitor.
    PolarBeat is good with a polar heart rate monitor.

My choice is Endomondo! You can add friends, challenge people, challenge yourself and your progress. It's free. I only use the free apps.
    When I hook up my heart rate monitor to endomondo I get a more accurate result and its just great.
  • NaturallyandProperly
    Options
    Oh ya, I pair Endomondo with the Polar H7 bluetooth chest strap. http://www.amazon.ca/Polar-Bluetooth-Smart-Heart-Sensor/dp/B007S088F4
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

I have used almost all trackers out there, it really depends on what your after.

With my fitbit and up it became more of a novelty. It made me accountable and helped me to mentally stay in the mindset of eating right and moving.

Now that I actually want real results, I moved the Polar Loop and I pair that with the Bluetooth heart rate monitor. While doing cardio or working out my real time heart rate displays on the band. Its a very powerful tool to show you real caloric burn and actual heart rate.

Whatever you do get, enjoy and they only work if you make them work for you!

Good luck!
  • LadyJae7
    LadyJae7 Posts: 2
    Options
    This is my very first post...

I've been using the FitBit Flex for 3 weeks now. I happen to love it. I wash dishes, my hair and shower with it with no problems. I often forget I'm wearing it. I've let it sync on its own as well as watch the step counter rise as I walk (to check for accuracy). MFP links seamlessly and the sleep tracker is pretty cool as well.

On a side note I've had the Endomondo app installed on my Android phone for months and just decided to try it out during my lunch break on a whim. While I haven't had a chance to really go through the motions with it I did love the map that it displayed after I finished my walk in addition to the calories burned and such. I haven't linked it to MFP yet (wasn't sure if it would clash with the FitBit) but I'm pretty sure I'll use the Endomondo app again for long distance runs, walks and other exercise.

Not taking off my FitBit though.

Good luck with your decision and cheers to you for taking the first step to better health.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    This recent NYT article is an interesting read:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/for-fitness-bands-slick-marketing-but-suspect-results/

Summary: fitness trackers aren't very accurate.
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/for-fitness-bands-slick-marketing-but-suspect-results/

Yeah that is for sure. But it does help me to be accountable "mentally" like a reminder why I am doing this.

I don't trust anything on any of mine and certainly don't think the calorie burn is even close to accurate. But the loop with the HRM monitor is spot on.

They are for sure marketing correctly! Kudos to the manfacturers
  • GundaTheFit
    GundaTheFit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I`m using Endomondo and I can link it up to MFP so I don`t have to update my exercise when I`m done.
    It`s also easy to use..

:smile:
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I started with the Flex (july) but wanted more, and got the Force (nov) & love it (no issues w/rash).

I also love that many other websites have perks for users of Fitbit (and a few other trackers), like Walgreens, Earndit, EveryMove,AchieveMint & ProjectWeightLoss.

I also use RunKeeper as wanted the audio and Endomondo charges for it & I have a Polar FT7 that I wear when walking/running/biking. I used Zen labs C25K running app as it sync'd with MFP.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I use the exercise function of MFP. Am i missing something?

I use run keeper to track distance and pace.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Fitbit has a few devices and more than likely are working on their next big thing. Whether that is out in 2 weeks vs 2 years - who knows?

I have the Fitbit One and love it. It is not worn on the wrist; I clip it to my pocket or waist. It has a display so you can see your stats easily at any time. That is one of the things I did not like about the Flex, needing to sync to a computer or smart phone to see stats. If you have a smart phone (if?) then check Fitbit's website for a list of compatible devices. If yours is a match, that detail won't matter for you.

I've had no issues but have heard wonder things about Fitbit's customer service.
  • NaturallyandProperly
    Options

This is true, however, if you use a heart rate monitor (chest strap) paired with a fitness tracker, it should be pretty accurate. I use Endomondo when out on trails for the GPS feature. But really, how does anything know how many calories you are burning? (i know math...) We are all different physically.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I have had a fitbit force since 11/3/13 and I love it. I have found it to be very accurate for walks, runs, etc. IMO, the secret to any of these devices, whether it is an App such as MFP, a HRM, a Fitness monitor or whatever, you have to accept the fact that they are all Estimating something. There are too many variables in life for ANY of them to be 100% accurate for every single person. I use all of them…MFP, Runkeeper, Fitradio, Gymgoal (to record my workouts), Fitbit, HRM, the fitbit scale…etc. They have all been TOOLS in my arsenal to help me lose weight and as I move into maintenance, I plan to continue to use them to help me stay motivated to keep the weight off with revised goals.

They are all tools, not the end all be all. Good luck to you.