What do you hope to accomplish?

Options
wheird
wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
We often hear the cliche saying "We are all here for the same reason!", yet that is not always true. I would wager that the bulk of MFP users are here for weightloss, but even amongst that group there are many different end goals.

I am one of the people who are here mainly for weight loss, but I am also here to learn and share knowledge of nutrition and fitness, for daily interaction with my friends, to celebrate weightlifting accomplishments, and more. I also do not simply want to lose weight for health, in fact that is kinda secondary, but rather I want tolift competitively and challenge myself in other fitness related areas to discover what I am capable of.

So I am curious...what do you want to accomplish?

Replies

• KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Originally, it was for straight weight loss. Now that's shifted - I want to qualify for the 2015 National Powerlifting Championships, and I'm not all that far off. I now see weight loss as a byproduct of the things I do to help get me to my goal :flowerforyou:
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I want to push myself every day.

I want to be my 8 year old's self dream of my future.

I want to constantly improve myself mentally and emotionally.

I want to be stronger, faster, and have more cardio vascular endurance so that I can climb the highest mountains possible.

I want to develop deep inner strength so that I can support others and stand alone when no one can support me.

Other things too, I'm sure.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I'm 37. For the rest of my life I want to be an average-to-large sized woman instead of a morbidly obese woman. I was over 200 lb from the age of 15 and once hit 307 in my earlier 30s. I don't want that to be my life. I don't want to face obesity-related health problems now or ever. I want to continue eating a wide range of delicious food (including indulgences) that is super healthy overall.

I'm here so that when I am 55 or 60+ I will still look cute in pants and a sweater or a modest dress, and easily walk 5 miles and hike on trails when I vacation with my husband, and not consider a trip to Applebee's and Lane Bryant my entertainment for the week.

That's basically it. I want to stay around say 150-175 lb (currently at 186) for the rest of my life.

I am not trying to get visible abs, or run races, or become a diet/nutrition expert, or any of that.
  • brizzeem
    brizzeem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've learned that MFP is another tool to use and how I use it is strictly up to me. With tools like this you have to not only understand the numbers in front of you by how they effect your own body. Understanding how these effect your body takes time which is great because I'm constantly learning from these values, other members, and tools of MFP.

Using MFP has opened my eyes to how I look at food and the contents of it. Still learning this!!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Originally (both times, pre-baby and post-baby), it was to reach a magic number on the scale.

Now...

I want to be stronger.
    I want to be less squishy (not necessarily weigh less).
    I want to break the myth that a woman's body is never the same after childbirth.
    I always want to be achieving something I thought was impossible.

ETA: I am on MFP specifically to achieve the things above, but also because my friends are amazing, and I love learning new things from people on here smarter than me. I also take great joy in seeing my friends reach their goals and constantly push themselves. Without that, I probably would still be that person only striving for a number on the scale.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I want to get stronger, faster, better
  • mpothiawala
    Options
    I want to NOT get Diabetes.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Do you have the technology?
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I want to get back to where I was at age 30. The confidence that comes along with being in shape in irreplaceable.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I need to feel good. Really healthy, focused, and full of energy. Else it's simply not going to be worth it. I reached goal weight, I'm still in the normal weight range, but I'm almost as far from that goal as ever. Working on fixing up my diet in hopes of correcting the issue. It's vitally important. There is just no point to being in the healthy weight range only because it says so on the scale.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I want to be free. I want to be free to do what I want to do without being hassled by The Man. And I want to get loaded. And I want to have a good time. And that's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna have a good time. I'm gonna have a party.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I want to be strong and I want to look good without clothes on.

I'm also hoping to accomplish an unassisted pull up by the end of the year.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I too originally came here for help with weight loss which I've accomplished. Now I want to run faster and be stronger. I'm finding it's difficult to do both but am trying to find a balance with both my running and lifting that can get me there. I also want to continue to be a positive role model to my daughter.

Oh, and I really want six pack abs.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Do you have the technology?

Yes
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    I do want to lose a few more pounds and that seems like a constant struggle, so for now I'm mainly focusing on how....

I want to be stronger.
    I want to be able to do a pull-up (I was the kid in gym class who just hung there waiting to be told I could be done).
    I want to be able to live a long, healthy life so I can be around a long time for my son.
    I want to feel GOOD about how I look and be able to rid myself of my constant, daily judgements towards myself that just put me in a pissy mood.

I also love being on MFP specifically because of the network of people I've gotten to know that share some of the same goals as me, it makes your health goals seem more attainable when you have someone who is showing that it IS able to be done :smile:
  • BV1980
    BV1980 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to get a girlfriend and eventually be able to get married at some point. I am 34 and have never had a girlfriend, just 34 years of rejection (pathetic really). Being 450 lbs has a lot to do with that.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I want to feel good about myself for the first time in my life. I've always had body dysmorphia because I grew up in an area where my BONE STRUCTURE made me considered "fat" compared to all the bikini-wearing girls. At my smallest when I was an athlete and was at a healthy weight, I wore a size 9 (29-30" waist). Now that I AM actually obese, I've figured out just how distorted my views of myself really were/are, and all I care about is being at MY healthiest weight.

I want to get stronger and build up my endurance and speed, so I can improve in taekwondo and someday be one of those black belts that's so good that people stare at them in awe.

I want to avoid all the health issues that come with my family's genetics: diabetes, heart disease, bad cholesterol, etc. My cholesterol was already high by the time I was 23, which is absurd.
  • NikiaSue
    NikiaSue Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I want to feel confident about myself.
  • Catfriend25
    Catfriend25 Posts: 95
    Options
    That sounds wonderful, wheird!

I do want to be thinner because I'm a fashion blogger and have an image to uphold.

I'm so sorry to hear that BV1980. People should like You for what's on the inside, not the outside. My dog is still fat but it is still my life partner.
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am very close to maintenance and I want to be able to maintain my weight for years to come. I also want to be able to wear a bikini at the beach and not feel self conscious about it. I have way more confidence now and am a much happier person. I am also working out very hard, something I have tried in the past but have never stuck with.
    I want to be able to wear smaller clothes...more tight fitting tops and be comfortable doing so. I have always been self concious about my body and appearance.
    MFP is the best...it taught me how to watch my calories, etc. taught me how to eat better and most of all I absolutely LOVE how everyone is supporting everyone and answering questions, etc.
    MFP is the BEST!!