Workouts with S/O?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Who knew a thread about working out with my boyfriend would devolve into me getting told off for my living situation? :bigsmile:

LD9YUE3.gif
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    The only thing I did with my last boyfriend was hiking. His idea of lifting was doing tons of preacher curls after running on a treadmill for an hour, so just continuing to date him was as nice as I was prepared to be.
  • I go with my husband. I am almost always the only female in the weight room. Sometimes people stare, but I try to concentrate more on what I'm doing and less on them. I very much enjoy going with my husband. He knows more about it all than I do, so he can help me, and I feel like we both motivate the other to do better. :)
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    You shouldn't live with someone if You're not married - You are dishonouring the sanctity of marriage.
    1091.gif
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Who knew a thread about working out with my boyfriend would devolve into me getting told off for my living situation? :bigsmile:
    Jezebel
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    You're not allowed to hit on Your clients at a gym. People should be able to work out without sexual comments being made or their *kitten* being grabbed by the staff.

And to the OP: seriously, work out alone - a SO will just be a distraction. My dog just lies on the couch while I work out. We exercise together when we go on walks but generally a dog will just get in the way, and your SO will also get in the way. Don't be so clingy!

Wow, so your dog = SO?
  • Catfriend25
    Catfriend25 Posts: 95
    My dog is not my romantic partner, but it is my life partner.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    You're not allowed to hit on Your clients at a gym. People should be able to work out without sexual comments being made or their *kitten* being grabbed by the staff.

And to the OP: seriously, work out alone - a SO will just be a distraction. My dog just lies on the couch while I work out. We exercise together when we go on walks but generally a dog will just get in the way, and your SO will also get in the way. Don't be so clingy!

Wow, so your dog = SO?

Deactivated!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    We do! Our favorite thing to do together is hike. Good exercise and bonding time. :)

My wife and I are maybe a little unique in this respect, but we pretty much always workout together. Hiking / trail running is pretty much our favorite (most enjoyable, not boring like a treadmill, outdoors in the beautiful hills of Boise), but we also lift, do aerobics tapes, run in our 'hood, yoga, etc.

Okay, time to take away my man card.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member

Wow, so your dog = SO?

Deactivated!

tumblr_m8do7xrJIG1qf8btso1_400.gif
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    [/quote]

Deactivated!
    [/quote]

Me thinks she was sent to camp - ban camp!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    We'll take a walk together, especially with the dog, but that's about it. I tried lifting with him exactly once and hated it. We keep it separate now.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member

Me thinks she was sent to camp - ban camp!
    Considering this was at LEAST her second account, if not her third or more, with different backstories and troll styles, I'm not shocked.

Now, back to the OP: My husband and I work out together, and we get competitive. But we go to a Koko Fit gym, so it keeps track of "perfect" workouts. We aren't as competitive as we used to be, but it's still a driving force. Also, we talk each other into going, and that's always a plus.

These days, we play Ingress together and take a LOT of long walks together when the weather's nice.

We do not, however, do home yoga together, because I always end up burning more calories through laughing at his screams than through the yoga :D
  • JustinAnimal
    The only thing I did with my last boyfriend was hiking. His idea of lifting was doing tons of preacher curls after running on a treadmill for an hour, so just continuing to date him was as nice as I was prepared to be.

Wow. Definitely a good reason to stop dating. Those treadmill-goers and half-assed lifters need to get out of the way! STOP TRYING!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member

Wow. Definitely a good reason to stop dating. Those treadmill-goers and half-assed lifters need to get out of the way! STOP TRYING!

That's not why we stopped dating, but thanks for your interest. I'll add you to my newsletter subscriber list.
  • JustinAnimal

That's not why we stopped dating, but thanks for your interest. I'll add you to my newsletter subscriber list.

sweeeeeeeet.

I think the point still stands: no credit for trying?

Didn't mean to assume or pry into the reasons you broke up. My b, dawg.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    My wife and I used to workout together all of the time which helped her immensely in the weight room. As time has moved along, we have both developed fitness goals outside of just working out and exercising...more specific fitness goals has resulted in us not working out together very often. To boot, when it comes to cardio, she's primarily a runner and I enjoy my bike. Occasionally I will take in a jog with her and she will take in a short ride with me. but that's about the extent of it anymore.

I do kind of miss the old days but alas, our routines are vastly different so it doesn't really work anymore.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    DH and I used to go workout at the same place but not "together". We do go for hikes/walks at the weekend, but the rest of the time it doesn't work with different schedules, kids etc. I quite like the me-time TBH.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    My wife and I run the same program. We had to switch the lower and upper days. One of us would be hogging the only squat rack in the gym we like going to near the house. It's 24 hrs and none of the old people in there as early as we go squat or deadlift. So it's usually all ours. Plus I can give her a spot her on her bench press between my squat lifts.
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    We lift weights together with a group of friends. We lift in a friend's garage gym, so it works out for all of us. There are three couples and two other girls that lift on the same three days a week. Other than that, we've run two half marathons together. Occasionally, we still run, bike, or hike together. It depends on scheduling.