Wanting to Eat A Little Less to Make Sure in Deficit

Options
BetesBitch
BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
I am 5'9" and 155-160lbs. My goal weight is around 140lbs. This is wear I felt my best and fit into size 28/29 ladies jeans or size 5/7 pants. I aim to eat between 1200-1500 calories per day plus exercise at least 4 times a week cardio/strength training together. I was wondering if it really matters a whole lot if some days I only eat 1000 calories? Like once or twice a week and then the rest of days I will hit my 1500calories. I just want make sure that I am INDEED in a calorie deficit. I am also logging and weighing ALL food that goes into my mouth. Even 1 chip if I happen to eat one from someone offering.

Replies

• COliver416
    COliver416 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    So, here's my opinion. Eating 1,000 calories through a day is perfectly okay. I do this twice to three times a week, depending on what's happening that week. The way I view days of eating under 1,200 calories, is as fasting days. I wouldn't do it two days in a row, given your current weight and size. But spread out through a week, you'll be fine and healthy, and getting down to the weight you want.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    So, here's my opinion. Eating 1,000 calories through a day is perfectly okay. I do this twice to three times a week, depending on what's happening that week. The way I view days of eating under 1,200 calories, is as fasting days. I wouldn't do it two days in a row, given your current weight and size. But spread out through a week, you'll be fine and healthy, and getting down to the weight you want.
    Thank you, Im glad to hear this.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you didn't think it mattered, you would be asking the question.

eat right. try and make healthy decisions. splurge once in a while, and exercise regularly. if you're hitting your calorie goals, and exercising, you'll maintain a calorie deficit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

With something like 5:2 fasting or Intermittent Fasting, the idea is to have two fast days and 5 days at maintenance. It's meant to create a reasonable deficit with only 2 low-calorie days instead of spreading the deficit out every day. That doesn't appear to be what the OP is planning. She's taking a calorie level that's already in a deficit and making the deficit larger with these low calorie days.

OP, of course you can do whatever you want with your calorie level. Personally, I wouldn't do it. But I'm paranoid about muscle loss and getting my micro and macro nutrients at this stage. Your weight loss is what confirms that you're in a deficit. I would try 1500 calories, accurately logged, for 3-4 weeks and see what happens. If you lose weight, then you're in a deficit. If you don't, then adjust as necessary.

I would also suggest that since you're within a healthy range for your height you might want to back your goal down to 1 pound or 1/2 pound per week (I'm assuming you set MFP to 2 pounds/week? Most people do) as well as eating back at least a portion of your exercise calories. Trying to lose faster than that may be counter-productive to your goals at this stage.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Some people like to look at their caloric needs over a weeks time, not just daily.

If you take your week, and have a 2 1000 calorie days, and 2 1300 calorie days, 2 1500 calorie days, and 1 1200 calorie day, your average is 1257 per day, and that would be the number to look at.

Looking at it this way makes for a longer view of the deficit, and for me helps ensure consistancy. I don't like to eat JUST BECAUSE the number on my log says to hit 1500 calories for the day. If I'm not hungry, why eat? If I am, and there are days I am, then I can eat a little more knowing that some days I don't eat as much. There are days I go 1800-2000 calories, almost eating my TDEE, and days I'm barely above 1200 cals. My running 30 day average is 1467 calories per day.

This works for some, and not for others. I like the flexibility.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but here's what I do. I eat at a baseline 2000 calories (or as close as possible +/-) and then log my cardio as 1 calorie. I never eat back those calories either, they are just gone. My cardio always puts me in a deficit with the exception of cheat meal days. It's purely mental for me. I've cut 8 lbs in a little more than 2 weeks since starting my cardio back up to make the deficit stick. My energy level and mood is quite stable, so it's been a safe cut. I'm also on a much larger frame at 6'0 and 205 lbs. Hope this helps.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I look at my calories on a weekly basis as well as a daily. That way if I have a bad eating day and am over on calories then I can see on a weekly level I haven't ruined everything. However, I never go below 1200 calories on any day. I say if you're feeling fatigued and having problems with memory on your 1,000 calorie day then you shouldn't do it. There are more ways that your body tells you you're hungry than just your tummy rumbling. Listen to your body.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Everyone is different, but here's what I do. I eat at a baseline 2000 calories (or as close as possible +/-) and then log my cardio as 1 calorie. I never eat back those calories either, they are just gone. My cardio always puts me in a deficit with the exception of cheat meal days. It's purely mental for me. I've cut 8 lbs in a little more than 2 weeks since starting my cardio back up to make the deficit stick. My energy level and mood is quite stable, so it's been a safe cut. I'm also on a much larger frame at 6'0 and 205 lbs. Hope this helps.

I don't get the logging cardio as 1 calorie thing........
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

he's eating the same amount every day, if he exercised or not.

i do that, i just stopped logging exercise here at all.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    My plan is to eat at some sort of a deficit every day and to exercise 4 times a week or more.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

exactly...I'm really not that strict anymore as far as macros are concerned. I just get my calories in close to 2000 and call it a day. Whatever cardio I do naturally takes me into a deficit. I log as 1 because it's difficult to get an exact number of calories burned without an hrm (even then it's speculation) and since I don't want to spend the money on one simply because I wouldn't wear it, this is the way that works best for me.
  • BetesBitch
    Options

exactly...I'm really not that strict anymore as far as macros are concerned. I just get my calories in close to 2000 and call it a day. Whatever cardio I do naturally takes me into a deficit. I log as 1 because it's difficult to get an exact number of calories burned without an hrm (even then it's speculation) and since I don't want to spend the money on one simply because I wouldn't wear it, this is the way that works best for me.

Hmmm ok. Wouldn't 2000 calories be a deficit for you anyhow?