Does HIIT work for you?

Options
I'm at the "last 10 pounds" area which is amazing.

I read that doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is great for getting rid of the last 10 pounds. I started them this week and they are kicking my butt! Literally. Can we say burpees+butt kickers+squats = ouch!

But I wonder if those work outs really help with the last ten, moving the body out of the plateau....

Has it worked for you?

Thanks!!

Replies

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Honestly, not really-- at least, not for weight loss. When I've just been trying to drop fat, I've found it easier to just cut some calories and do a 30 minute brisk walk each day (along with weight training). Just my personal experience, of course.

I've found HIIT to be tremendously effective when trying to get conditioned for some cardiovascular activity, though. After a month of doing HIIT for 20 minutes, three times a week, I've found that I can breeze through things like long runs or hard swims that would've left me seriously out of it just a few weeks previous. But that conditioning is gone in like, two weeks if I stop doing the HIIT. :P
  • newteachermom
    newteachermom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    True! I noticed that my endurance has really improved. I'll weigh-in tomorrow so we'll see if anything was lost. If I lose 2-ish then I'll stick with it until rest is gone but if only 1 or less...I might go back the cardio/strength training I was doing before.

I also wonder if the body's response, weight-loss wise, depends on gender and age?

You must have been training for a triathalon, with the long run and swimming. Good for you!!