Super Frustrated Rant.

Options
So I need some motivation for today...

Here is what is currently going on in my weight loss journey. So for the past couple of weeks I have been exercising a ton. I think I average about 600 calories per day of exercise. But of course, there are some days when I only go for a light walk to give my body time to relax. So on Wednesday, I weighed myself and I was down 1lb. And than I weighed myself this morning and I am up 5lbs!! Like holy hell!!

My calories vary but yesterday it was a light day and calories were only 100 over my goal of 1500 + exercise. My sodium was very high yesterday but I dont think that would have made me go up 5lbs!

Im sure its just water weight or what not but my frustration is through the roof. And right now, I need motivation. Cause I have none.

Okay rant over.

Trying to remember to keep pushing through. Dont give up.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My sodium was very high yesterday but I dont think that would have made me go up 5lbs!

Yes, sodium could have caused 5 pounds of water retention. So can hormones (are you nearing your period?), exercise, stress, carbs, etc. Your weight is never going to be a static number. It fluctuates from day to day depending on what's going on in our bodies at the moment.

You have two choices. Either stop weighing yourself every day or learn to make friends with the fluctuations, because they aren't going anywhere.
  • Alex_murphyy
    Alex_murphyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Believe me... I am getting better. I used to weigh myself multiple times a day. So im working on not weighing myself every day. Yesterday I didnt weigh myself. So that is a step in the right direction. My anxiety with weight loss is my Achilles heel. So yeah that is a constant fight.
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think the high sodium and exercise could definitely make you retain 5 lbs. of water. Drink a lot of water and try to relax. I'm sure those water pounds will be off in a day or two. I do understand how you feel...I just finally shed the last of 12 water pounds after a hospital stay where they pumped me full of fluids. It took 10 days to all come off...don't panic.
  • Catfriend25
    Catfriend25 Posts: 95
    Options
    awwww good for You for working out. I can understand the weight gain is very frustrating to see. hugs
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have an app called WeightTrend. It calculates a moving average of the past 7 days. So I weigh every day, but I don't worry about my day-to-day weight because it's the trend weight that matters. For example, today my weight was 203.2, which is up from 202.8 from yesterday. But I don't care because my trend weight was 207.2 yesterday and today it was 206.8. So even though the exact #s fluctuate, the trend is always plugging down. If I ever see my TREND weight go up, I know that it's a problem.

I have heard of other people using a spreadsheet to calculate their trend weight if you prefer that.

Personally, I would never be a once-a-week weigher. It would make me too nervous that I'd have to make that weigh in "perfect" (no water retention, totally empty bladder and bowels, etc). I think it would drive me insane. I love using a moving average -- it is encouraging to see the overall trend and not stress over the fluctuations.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If I ever see my TREND weight go up, I know that it's a problem.

I track my trend too (using an Excel spreadsheet, but the same formula). When I was aiming for 1-1.5 lb./week, my morning weight was almost always lower than my trend (there were only 3 days in 6 months when it was over the trend). As I got closer to my goal, though, and started to aim for a lower weight loss (0.5-0.8 lb./week), it wasn't unusual for my morning weight to be at or slightly over my trend (maybe 1 day a week on average).

Point is, if your trend goes up a day or two a week, but it's generally down, that's not a problem. When most of your weights are over your trend, then you're gaining weight and need to do something about it.
  • Alex_murphyy
    Alex_murphyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have an app called WeightTrend. It calculates a moving average of the past 7 days. So I weigh every day, but I don't worry about my day-to-day weight because it's the trend weight that matters. For example, today my weight was 203.2, which is up from 202.8 from yesterday. But I don't care because my trend weight was 207.2 yesterday and today it was 206.8. So even though the exact #s fluctuate, the trend is always plugging down. If I ever see my TREND weight go up, I know that it's a problem.

I have heard of other people using a spreadsheet to calculate their trend weight if you prefer that.

Personally, I would never be a once-a-week weigher. It would make me too nervous that I'd have to make that weigh in "perfect" (no water retention, totally empty bladder and bowels, etc). I think it would drive me insane. I love using a moving average -- it is encouraging to see the overall trend and not stress over the fluctuations.

I will try this WeightTrend!

Thanks for this! And yeah, That is how I feel as far as weighing in!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I threw my scale out along time ago.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Are you close to getting your period?
  • Loseto138
    Loseto138 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tacking averages is key and not just weight, but food and activity. I use www.healthsidekick.com that uses averages to tell me how many calories I can eat to lose, gain or stay the same and it has been very accurate for me. I don't have to guess or try to make adjustments myself it does it for me. It wasn't until I understood how averages work that I stopped(well not completely) getting so down about a 1-2 pound fluctuation on a day to day basis.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Bodies are weird that way. You have a ton of salt, and it wants water, and it holds onto that too. Yes, it can hold up to 5 pounds.

I've had weeks where I've gained 3-4 pounds for NO REASON, only to lose 4-5 pounds the next week. Water weight big time!!!

Wait a week and see what happens.