What to drink in the mornings.

Options
Okay, I'm a Dr. Pepperaholic. :) I'm trying to cut it out completely! However, what do ya'll drink in the mornings. I was researching orange juice, but it don't seem as healthy as I once thought. I do not like coffee, and I can not drink water very early in the morning. Any suggestions. Also, does anyone use protein shakes for meal replacement?

Replies

• MichaelRobinson1994
    MichaelRobinson1994 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use a protein shake meal replacement from Myprotein.com for breakfast, its 200calories 32g protein 8g carbs 2g fat ...but I also have a banana, and 500ml water with it
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    black coffee and water

:)

oh,.. you nixed both of those..

ummm.... tea??? protein shake??

Our of sheer curiosity why can't you drink water in the morning?
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Water and coffee.

Why can't you drink water in the morning? Too cold? Leave it out and have room temperature water!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Coffee and baileys....
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I can't drink plain water in the morning, either. I get around this by warming 16 oz. of water (warm, not hot) and squeezing a whole lemon into it (I do not put the rind in, just the juice). I find that even though it's sour, I can drink the whole glass down without getting nauseated.

I'm a coffee drinker, but I'm not adverse to English or Irish Breakfast Tea. I like it plain or with milk. Green tea is ok, but I like honey in it.

I used to drink protein shakes, but my body doesn't tolerate them anymore. If I'm going to the gym early I'll make a smoothie with 8 oz. calcium and vitamin D orange juice, 4 oz. plain Greek yogurt and a tablespoon of honey.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Coffee is awesome. Honestly... learn to drink it. Join US!

Or how about tea?
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I add lipton green tea & honey flavor packets to my water-aaahmazing!

Also, I bought a $19 blender; take a 50 calorie can of V8 fusion energy , add 1/3 cup of fruit, ice, and two tablespoons of light yogurt ( i like walmart's light vanilla) and I made myself a very satisfying smoothie for 129 calories which actually replaced a snack and morning coffee both :love:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with orange juice? :huh: Sugar content? Grab an orange and a juicer....fresh squeezed with no additives. Will still have sugar, but no more than an orange will........fruit isn't evil and the vit C will be fun! Other lovely juices are cranberry, grape, and tomato (just have to be careful with sodium if you are sensitive).

I drink coffee and tea in the morning. I eat a good breakfast sandwich and would hate to replace it with a protein shake. Personally, I need solid food in my belly to get me going in the morning.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Tea! Love love love herbal tea!
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm hooked on my coke zero. Occasionally I crave coffee but use no sugar.

EDIT:
    What is wrong with orange juice? huh Sugar content? Grab an orange and a juicer....fresh squeezed with no additives. Will still have sugar, but no more than an orange will........fruit isn't evil and the vit C will be fun! Other lovely juices are cranberry, grape, and tomato (just have to be careful with sodium if you are sensitive).

Nothing wrong with juice, but some of our diets don't allow for that much sugar and especially in the mornings :smile:
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I always have coffee right away in the morning, and then chug about 16 oz of water immediately after a workout. I drink Shakeology on my way to work (meal replacement).

I agree with frob23 - learn to drink coffee!! :) Tea is another awesome suggestion.

I know some soda drinkers like to drink sparkling waters - it's got that fizz that they love from their sodas? Ever tried that?
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I chug a glass of water first thing and then have a giant mug (or 2) of coffee.
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I add lipton green tea & honey flavor packets to my water-aaahmazing!

Also, I bought a $19 blender; take a 50 calorie can of V8 fusion energy , add 1/3 cup of fruit, ice, and two tablespoons of light yogurt ( i like walmart's light vanilla) and I made myself a very satisfying smoothie for 129 calories which actually replaced a snack and morning coffee both :love:

the fruit, btw is frozen....i forgot to say that. I used 1/3 cup of frozen peaches and 1/3 of mango today to match the Peach Mango flavor of the V8 I used today....I bought three different flavors and different frozen fruits to try with each
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I was a Pepperaholic also. I love Bengal Spice tea because it has lots of spices. Most of my family hates it but they weren't Peppers.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    A protein shake in the morning (I alternate vegan and whey) plus small fruit or a crispbread.
  • briggitte59
    briggitte59 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i usually put a water bottle the night before in the fridge with cucumbers mint and lemon. and drink it through out the day the next day.
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Why can't you drink water in the mornings?? Are you allergic?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    coffee...and I usually have a low sodium v8 with breakfast.
  • SavinnaMarie
    SavinnaMarie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    you could drink some tea. I suggest green tea or chamomile tea. there are brands that sell flavored teas that are really tasty! I drink lemon water when I wake up as it is really hydrating and helped me clear my skin because of it's detoxifying properties. but as you mentioned, you can not drink much water in the morning so I wouldn't suggest this (not sure if it's considered as one of the things you can't drink in the morning tho) you can also drink protein shakes in the morning because your muscles have not been getting any protein while you were sleeping.

and yes, you can use protein shakes as a meal replacement. really convenient as you get a lot of protein with a small amount of calories. there are also a lot of recipes for protein powder and you can make smoothies with it. really useful!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Hmm, V8. I haven't had that in forever, I love it.