Aufwiedersehen to the SPARE TIRE!!!

Options
The average automobile tire weighs 20 pounds.

I've heard my entire life the statement "he's got a spare tire" when talking about some man's waistline. Well, now I know why they call it a "spare tire"....

14039658636_2013a41c77.jpg

Because it weighs at least 20 pounds if not more depending on the size of a guy's gut. The tire also, for me, represents coming full circle because I weighed my current weight from high school all the way until I was about 40. Then, well....

I hate boring everyone with the details, but here goes.

I'm 6'4", 52 years old and not only have I lost one spare tire, but I have actually lost TWO!!!!

Being tall, one can easily hide in the "skinny fat" syndrome even if you have some extra girth. Why? The height and clothing does a decent enough of a job to disguise reality and you go around in life without people calling you overweight or fat. In other words, it was easy to hop in that boat on the River DeNial for the ride this past decade.

In spite of running marathons, biking, playing basketball, staying in really good shape and keeping my weight in the 165-175 area until I got close to 40, I ballooned up to 212 pounds in 2003-4 when I moved to America after living and working overseas for a decade +. The lack of daily walking, and commuting on the bike that I was used to doing in a big city in Europe, combined with generous portions in the US and all the things I hadn't been able to eat while living overseas for so long had me quickly grow to this...

14082404842_f0060d80e5.jpg212

That's my peak. The most I had ever weighed in my life!!! 212 pounds. Waist of 36". And the Doc put me on cholesterol lowering medication to boot due to my age and family history. OUCH!!! WTF was I doing and thinking?!

In an effort to pull myself out of it, I started racing mountain bikes and training to race mountain bikes to get the weight down and try to get back into shape. First, I fought and whittled myself down to 202. Then I dropped another 10 to make my first spare tire loss at 192. This 20 pound loss and to maintain it actually took me a few years...

14085536585_18d9b28ec9.jpg

Then I had to take my shirt off for work in an opera role I was singing (Maximilian in Candide) where the character is sold as a female slave in the story, so I trimmed to 188 as I had to appear in the dress as well as with my shirt off earlier in the opera...

14062437686_11aac101ae.jpg

Taking my shirt off on stage was nothing new to me as it was routine as Don Giovanni in European performances when I weighed 175, but at 188 I was a bit self-concious about it. Luckily, the San Francisco Chronicle was very kind about my rich voice and physique. But there were some love handles and MOOBS going on!!!

The typical yo-yo for me was to get down in the 180's during the summer months for mountain bike racing where I thought I looked pretty svelte. Then, I would gain about 10+ pounds or so in the off-season between October and January. Every year was like that.

This year, on January 6th after a holiday skiing vacation I said enough is enough. It's now or never.

I set out with 4 goals this year and wish I had stepped out of my boat on the River DeNial years ago. But, c'est la vie.

My 4 goals were...

1. Get lighter for mountain bike racing because I had hit my genetic limits of how hard I can pedal. The only way to get better and go faster up the mountains and hills was to get lighter as my engine was tapped out. It's the age old power to weight ratio. And racing against guys who are 140, 150, 160 isn't easy when climbing hills are involved and you weigh 180.

2. Knock out that remaining "spare tire" of visceral fat that I could hide under my clothing, but is "oh so devasting" to men's health.

3. This goal ties in with goal #2: knock out enough of the spare tire to get my cholesterol numbers down and in control so I can go off the medication. I was having side effects of confusion/memory issues and wanted off the drug.

4. Get my overall self in shape using weights, cardio, and actually counting calories for the first time in my life using the MFP App on my iPhone. Hey, it was my first Smart Phone that I got in December when I traded in the old flip phone. ;-)

I hate pictures in the undies like everyone posts here, but it's the only way to show reality. So here goes.

187 on January 6th and not happy about the tire I've got stored around my waist...

14036019181_bdc891bcba.jpg187 1/6/14

I set my profile up here at MFP with the goal of dropping 1 pound per week. I also began my usual 12 week base training period for the summer mountain bike racing schedule. So I had the combination of 8-12 hours a week of cardio/weights, and running a caloric deficit by tracking what I ate. And patience.

My initial goal was 175 as I really didn't know where or what I was headed to for a final weight target. I hit my 175 goal 12 weeks later and snapped another shot...

14016085026_c2bbf9f397.jpg

Ah, what the heck! I changed my Ticker to a new goal of dropping to 170. I kept at it and hit 170 a few weeks later.

Opera singers do not have to be FAT...!!!!

13979546936_598d7d1e7c.jpg

I kept going and just recently hit...

14015418846_748c33da3a.jpg168.2

So I fired up the iPhone for a shot to compare...

14035482012_5f2d8a7769.jpg168

52. 168 pounds. Waist of 30-31. Lean and Mean and ready to race my mountain bike machine...

14057745446_53f510a59d.jpgSub170

I'm allowing my body to settle into a good racing weight and will no doubt bounce around between 165-170 as I dial things in and see what it feels like on the bike (so far it feels great!!!!). Who knows? But if I haven't reached my ideal target yet, I'm sure not far from it.

I will be getting a new blood test this month to see how the cholesterol numbers are doing, and another test a few months from now. The Doc and I will guage what to do based on the results to see if my new weight, new shape, diet, and exercise are enough to keep me from having to take the medication, or if a lower dose may do the trick if needed. My preference is to be off of it and I'm going to fight hard for that with my food selections.

That's my spare tire(s) story and I am very happy and pleased to have said good bye to...

14039658636_2013a41c77.jpg20poundtire

Time to race...

9889573014_a48d9e1aec.jpg

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah! You DID post a success story. Well done!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Thanks! I won't be able to go as fast down the hills than back in the 190 days, but I guess I'll just pedal when going down the hill to help out the gravity...

5905246856_11b8e9e8fa.jpg
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! And such a good read :)
  • lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I guess you wanted to say "Good by" in German in your title. It can only roughly be translated by "Auf Wiedersehen" because "Auf Wiedersehen" actually means "See you again soon or until the next time we see each other" which kind of seems ironic in this context;)
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Congratulations OP on your "goodbye to the spare tyre" success story!
  • yafashelli
    yafashelli Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! :smile:
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    I guess you wanted to say "Good by" in German in your title. It can only roughly be translated by "Auf Wiedersehen" because "Auf Wiedersehen" actually means "See you again soon or until the next time we see each other" which kind of seems ironic in this context;)

Yes, if one uses the literal translation of the familiar farewell it means "until we see each other again". It is commonly referred to in daily German and Austrian life simply as "good bye".

I could have used Servus, Ciao, tschüss, au revoir, Na razie, Do widzenia, etc... .

Hopefully, you got the idea that I was indeed meaning to say "good bye" to the spare tire I just lost.
  • Patty1015A
    Patty1015A Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for sharing!
  • angel013183
    angel013183 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Yes, if one uses the literal translation of the familiar farewell it means "until we see each other again". It is commonly referred to in daily German and Austrian life simply as "good bye".

I could have used Servus, Ciao, tschüss, au revoir, Na razie, Do widzenia, etc... .

Hopefully, you got the idea that I was indeed meaning to say "good bye" to the spare tire I just lost.

^^^This. Wow, people never cease to amaze me. Yes, it is referred to as simply goodbye...I cant believe someone read through your whole post and all they got out of it was their literal nonsense...Oh, and I would think that someone so literal would take more care in spelling "bye" in their opening statement. Sheesh. You look amazing btw. Congrats!!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Congrats on your success!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I love this post.

Great work and congrats!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    What kind of briefs are those? I really like the grey ones.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Bump for the brand on these bad boys..

14036019181_bdc891bcba.jpg
  • swsays
    swsays Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Great story and you look terrific. I especially admire the mountain bike racing! All that was missing was a video clip of you singing!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Thanks! I won't be able to go as fast down the hills than back in the 190 days, but I guess I'll just pedal when going down the hill to help out the gravity...

5905246856_11b8e9e8fa.jpg

I had never really thought about how extra weight can make you go faster on the down hills. I noticed this on Saturday when a tiny woman passed me and had to pedal all the way down the hill when I just got to coast.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    What kind of briefs are those? I really like the grey ones.

Are you serious? ;-)

They are my nasty cheap "in between heavy and goal weight purchase". All my other drawers were getting way too big. So I picked up a couple packages of Wally World Hanes briefs. The multi-colored packages that is.

I'm due for some new ones now that the waist has dropped a few inches.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    I had never really thought about how extra weight can make you go faster on the down hills. I noticed this on Saturday when a tiny woman passed me and had to pedal all the way down the hill when I just got to coast.

Gravity.

It works in both directions - going up the hills and going down them. Luckily, in a mountain bike race, it's going up the hills where the majority of races are won or lost due to the amount of time it takes compared to descents which are rather quick.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    Great story and you look terrific. I especially admire the mountain bike racing! All that was missing was a video clip of you singing!

Those are available in other locations, but I'm not going to post any here. ;-)
  • puffinbrae
    puffinbrae Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great result! And what a lovely witty post. But those grey undercrackers? Sorry mate but they are pretty hideous :ohwell:
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    Great result! And what a lovely witty post. But those grey undercrackers? Sorry mate but they are pretty hideous :ohwell:

Thanks on the results compliment.

Not to worry, everyone. I only have the 1 grey pair of "undercrackers" in a drawer filled with over 30 pair of goodies including full boxers, mid-boxers, compression shorts, Calvin Kleins, Tommy Hilfigers, you name it - I've got plenty to choose between.

As I said, the grey pair in question was simply purchased in a multi-pack as I went from the upper 180's to sub 170. Waist size dictates my underwear, and I wasn't about to spend more than a few bucks on a few cheap pairs to wear while I was in the transition phase. That being said, I am not disagreeing that the grey pair is rather hideous. Although they do look a lot better at 168 than they did at 187. ;-)

Anyway, the post was intended to be about my successful loss of the spare tire around my midsection and not about the briefs.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!