KettleBells burn 20 calories a minute ?

Options
anyone can confirm this ?

and anyone can maybe help me to figure out what weight that 20 calories a minute that is for ?

Replies

• WonderNoodle
    Options
    Well I found several articles talking about the study but none specified what size kettlebell was used. Was published on Webmd.com which, in my opinion, gives it some credibility.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100212/kettlebell-workouts-burn-calaories-fast
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories per minute will be based on your effort and workout routine. I do P90X and usually burn 17 cal/min during the stregnth workouts. Running I usually burn 20-24 cal/minute depending on my pace. Just get a HRM and stop guessing.:happy:
  • thedeepblue
    Options
    HRM = $200. Ouch. I'd have to keep guessing.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options

Danielle, HRM do not have to cost that much. I bought my first one from buyit.com for under $50.00 it worked great and is still working great.(Reebok) I bought a Polar for $40.00 from an MFP friend who was upgrading. I purchased the Polar because I wanted one I could wear in the water.

D
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

I have a Polar F6 HRM and it cost me right around $100 and that was a few years back.......I googled it a few weeks ago and saw it anywhere from $89 to $109 depending on the site. You don't have to go crazy money wise, BUT with HRMs you do get what you pay for. I LOVE my F6, it does exactly what I need it to do. Make sure with your HRM that it has a chest strap and the signal is encoded so that it's 1) more accurate and 2) doesn't get interferance from other HRMs or equipment (especially useful if you ever plan on using it at a gym.)
  • CelticWarrior
    Options
    Part of not using a hrm is the blissful ignorance of thinking u burned more than u really did. Besides that kettlebells are pretty expensive also, I rather get them as they would help then do more harm like a hrm .
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I was puzzled by one statement from the researchers: that they had done "the first modern study" of the fitness effectiveness of kettlebells. There was a study published in April of this year that analyzed the metabolic response to kettlebell swings.

Subjects (all male in this case) did continuous kettlebell swings for 12 minutes. The average calorie expenditure was 12-13 calories per minute.

What was also noteworthy was the fact that heart response was exaggerated comparing to oxygen uptake. Average exercise HR was 85% of HRmax, while oxygen uptake (VO2) averaged 65% of max. This is common when exercise involves a lot of arm work which is why one must be cautious about HRM calorie counts when doing this type of exercise or any exercise that involves a lot of upper-body work--they always overestimate.

I'd like to see the actual study to see what type of workout protocol they used to get such exaggerated calorie burn numbers.