Double Standard?

Options
13»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know and can only speak for myself. I see some pretty intense rhetoric in the forums regularly, and it's not just race and gender issues, though those do seem to rile us all up the most. Maybe it's because these go to the very heart of our personal identities and are not something we can change. I'm no more responsible for my race than you are for yours. And while I've been accused repeatedly in here of denying my "white privilege" no one here was around when I got the **** kicked out of me growing up for being "white" or having a "Jew nose" or the repeated sarcastic comments I've received even in my professional experience from being from Florida and "The South."

I'm of the opinion that there has to be a balance between openly and honestly admitting the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow and recognizing that individuals bring a variety of ethnic backgrounds and experiences with them to this conversation. And while I think the impact of "reverse" racism is far less than the massive historical impact of slavery and Jim Crow that is certainly still felt today, it does not make it right.

i'm not sure anyone is arguing that "reverse" racism is right?

and what exactly is "reverse racism"? that seems like one of those terms like "white slavery".
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know and can only speak for myself. I see some pretty intense rhetoric in the forums regularly, and it's not just race and gender issues, though those do seem to rile us all up the most. Maybe it's because these go to the very heart of our personal identities and are not something we can change. I'm no more responsible for my race than you are for yours. And while I've been accused repeatedly in here of denying my "white privilege" no one here was around when I got the **** kicked out of me growing up for being "white" or having a "Jew nose" or the repeated sarcastic comments I've received even in my professional experience from being from Florida and "The South."

I'm of the opinion that there has to be a balance between openly and honestly admitting the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow and recognizing that individuals bring a variety of ethnic backgrounds and experiences with them to this conversation. And while I think the impact of "reverse" racism is far less than the massive historical impact of slavery and Jim Crow that is certainly still felt today, it does not make it right.

i'm not sure anyone is arguing that reverse racism is right?

and what exactly is "reverse racism"? that seems like one of those terms like "white slavery".

I wonder sometimes, to be honest, but I also know that you aren't

I put the term in quotes because I don't like it either
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

i'm not sure anyone is arguing that "reverse" racism is right?

This x1,000,000,000

Racism is racism. Just because an African American person is racist, doesn't mean they are a "reverse racist". And it certainly doesn't negate the racism of any white person.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Condi Rice and Powell were both called Oreos by the left. What has been said about Mia Love by the left is not printable. Same goes for Michelle Malkin. (...)
    I have no idea who any of those people are, but after googling them I came to the following conclusion:
    I would give Michelle Malkin the 3.5 seconds of her lifetime.

Also, 20$ that this thread isn't here tomorrow morning.
    it's not just race and gender issues, though those do seem to rile us all up the most.
    To be fair, getting riled up over race and gender is way less idiotic than getting riled up over milk. And that happened as well.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    OP enjoys talking to himself too much.

He's the only one who cares about what he's saying.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Double standards run high in this country. Not just with race; but gender, status, income and sexuality. Equality is anything but that.
    So THIS. And many people who don't think they lead by double standards do. Parents that would tell their teenager who is now able to drive, not to text and drive, yet they've been doing it since they were 10 years old. Policemen ticketing people for speeding, but many being offenders themselves. And so on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I admit this was a half baked grenade. However that doesn't take away from the problem or my sincerity that these dialogs need to occur. I hoped for change and even though I didn't vote for our President I hoped for more , I yearned for more, I expected more!! He should have tried to bridge the problem and shelfed it with he is a product of Martin Luther kings dream. It should have been a time to champion and help foster these issues we face as a nation. Look at the rest of the world they have moved on from slavery and for the most part racism. Why can't the greatest country on earth do the same?

This is the same dialog we need to have about what is the mission for the US military? What does its citizens want? To be the global police? To stand and guard outrage boarders? To cut back and fund more drones?
  • ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I wish honest and open conversations were possible, but they're not. A level headed and multi-faceted approach fits neither the narrative of the far left or the far right, and moderates are out of fashion these days.

I completely agree.

At the end of the day, I don't support racism of any kind. Its wrong no matter who is doing it. Now yes there are double standards in life that I don't always agree with but I'm not going sit around obsessively searching for every example of a double standard I can find so I can vent. I don't think the OP even cares about the racism itself. He/She just came to vent. And she doesn't seem like the type of person to have a level headed discussion with anyways. So I won't try. I hope everyone has a wonderful day though. :flowerforyou:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I admit this was a half baked grenade. However that doesn't take away from the problem or my sincerity that these dialogs need to occur. I hoped for change and even though I didn't vote for our President I hoped for more , I yearned for more, I expected more!! He should have tried to bridge the problem and shelfed it with he is a product of Martin Luther kings dream. It should have been a time to champion and help foster these issues we face as a nation. Look at the rest of the world they have moved on from slavery and for the most part racism. Why can't the greatest country on earth do the same?

This is the same dialog we need to have about what is the mission for the US military? What does its citizens want? To be the global police? To stand and guard outrage boarders? To cut back and fund more drones?

stop.jpg
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    The fact of the matter is in today's (American) society, if anybody is so jaded that they live their lives focusing on injustices, they will find what they're looking for, enough to live a life filled with hate.

But, should anyone not dwell on the hate and just realize the opportunities they have, then they can easily be happy and fulfilled.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    The fact of the matter is in today's (American) society, if anybody is so jaded that they live their lives focusing on injustices, they will find what they're looking for, enough to live a life filled with hate.

But, should anyone not dwell on the hate and just realize the opportunities they have, then they can easily be happy and fulfilled.

This assumes we all experience the same level of injustice and opportunities in our daily lives which just isn't true. The people who can choose to see or not, sure this may apply.

Eta: I also don't agree that recognizing injustice equals being filled with hate or being miserable, nor do I think it means you can't be aware of the ways in which you are blessed.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

only one half baked grenade per thread please. move along
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

This assumes we all experience the same level of injustice and opportunities in our daily lives which just isn't true. The people who can choose to see or not, sure this may apply.

Eta: I also don't agree that recognizing injustice equals being filled with hate or being miserable, nor do I think it means you can't be aware of the ways in which you are blessed.

I didn't even use enough words in posts to get into the specifics you brought up. We all have different "injustices" in our lives and we can either focus on what we can control or not.

I absolutely agree that "recognition" of injustice does not equal hate.

That said, one can fill a life being angry at some stupid **** that is out of their control in their life if they allow themselves
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

Easier to play the victim rather than take personal responsibility.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Easier to play the victim rather than take personal responsibility.

Easier to blame the victim than to take personal responsibility.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

I didn't even use enough words in posts to get into the specifics you brought up. We all have different "injustices" in our lives and we can either focus on what we can control or not.

I absolutely agree that "recognition" of injustice does not equal hate.

That said, one can fill a life being angry at some stupid **** that is out of their control in their life if they allow themselves

Maybe the difference here is I don't feel like I have no power to make a difference. And I believe turning a blind eye to the problems is a part of the problem.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. This discussion is welcome to continue in groups.

The forum guidelines include this item:

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics and posts, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

CyberEd312

MFP Moderator
This discussion has been closed.