different burns

Options
poke987
poke987 Posts: 348 Member
My BFF and I regularly work out together. She just got a heart rate monitor. I've been using my polar one which is an F4 I think I've had 10 years. Hers came from a sporting goods store, but I don't recognize the brand. It's possible she went for the lowest end model. Today we expect ran side by side 9.65 miles. My burn was 1067 hers 872. She is 43, 150 and 5'2 me, I'm 35, 147 and 5'5. My question is, do you think the discrepancy in calories burned is due to our age/height difference? Or is it possible my polar is old, or her new model is cheap and inaccurate?! Thanks for your insight

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Yes to all of them. Different bodies, different heart rates, different formulae used to calculate, different accuracy levels ... all to make an estimated calculation.
  • poke987
    Options
    Ok, that's what I figured. Thanks. Just wanted to be sure, and thankfully I get the higher burn (more to eat back!)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    is either one of them calibrated properly? it's just an estimate anyway, but odds are that they are both incorrect.
  • poke987
    Options
    Calibration. Now there's a thought. When I bought my polar a rep came to the gym and worked with us, getting them set up etc. now, that was ten years ago, maybe 200 lbs up and down (2 pregnancies) so, if it was then, I'm sure it's not now! I have it set for my current stats, but calibrated? No I don't think so. Any tips on how would I go about doing that, or getting that done?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Hehehe. Not from me.