1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup water
1 tbsp. raisins
1 tbsp. golden raisins
1 tbsp. dried cranberries
1 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. half and half, cream or milk
1/4 apple

Place oats, dried fruit, sugar and cream in jar and cover with one cup of water. Screw on the lid and shake to mix. If you’re using a bowl, stir it with a spoon and then cover with a plate before microwaving.

Dice the apple and store in a plastic bag. When ready to prepare remove the jar’s lid and microwave the jar for one minute, and stir the contents. Then microwave again for about 1 minute to 1 minute and 15 seconds depending on how thick you prefer your oatmeal. Stir in the apples and you’re ready to go!

Replies

• TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I think it's great when we can share healthy recipes. However, I may be missing something, but shouldn't there be maple in that oatmeal? Maybe a tablespoon of pure maple syrup?

I have oatmeal much like this, with all kinds of variations, every single morning. It is always delicious, helps me power through my daily workout, and keeps my innards happy.

Variations I have done:

strawberry, dried cranberry, flax and cocoa
    strawberry, pear, dried cranberry, flax and cinnamon
    strawberry, banana, dried cranberry, flax and cocoa
    apple, dried cranberry and cinnamon
    mango, dried cranberry and cinnamon
    dried cranberry, baked yam (not seasoned or salted!!), flax, vanilla and cinnamon

I always weigh 40g of old fashioned oatmeal and cook it on the stovetop in 1 cup of boiling water for 5 minutes. Including a mug of coffee with a teaspoon of half and half, all my oatmeal breakfasts run between 298 and 320 calories with a minimum of 10 grams of fiber.

Edited to add: I always cook the oatmeal with the dried fruit and flax in it. If I am adding a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, I cook that with the oatmeal, dried fruit, and flax, stirring until mixed in. The rest of the fruits get stirred in after cooking is completed.
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I think it's great when we can share healthy recipes. However, I may be missing something, but shouldn't there be maple in that oatmeal? Maybe a tablespoon of pure maple syrup?

Haha never thought about that as many times as I've eaten it. I suppose it should but the knock-off taste very similar to the original and theres no maple in that