Problem getting enough protein???

Options
jescamp9481
jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
I struggle everyday to get enough protein. I try to eat 140 grams a day. I have 70 lbs to lose and work out 4x a week for an hour at minimum. On average I et about 1500 cals a day.!any ideas on how to get more protein.

I have 1scoop protein shake daily... Diary is open... Help please!!!

Replies

• sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Non fat greek yogurt .....make sure it is the low sugar some are loaded or a whey protein shake ....egg whites
  • karenfallison
    karenfallison Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You need protein with the carbs especially at breakfast. Consider reducing fruits and carbs. Suggestion...1/2 dry oatmeal cooked, add fresh blueberries and 1/4 cup milk. Have a boiled or scrambled egg with it or some protein in the form of meat or meat substitute. Low carbs and high protein works for me with weight loss & T2 Diabetes. Give it a try! Hang in there, add me if you would like!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    quinoa, beans, lentils, eggs, lean meats, fish, greek yogurt, cheese, whey protein, nuts, seeds, peanut butter. I don't eat meat except beef and I can get 150g per day no problem.

I mix protein powder in my yogurt, pancake mix, home made protein/granola bars. I also use 2 scoops in yogurt or smoothie if I need more protein.

I cook one whole egg and 1/4 c egg whites every morning. A huge egg white omelet with veggies for dinner is only about 100 calories.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    egg whites, eggs, Greek yogurt, chicken breast, sirloin steak and ground sirloin
  • KristiTemple
    Options
    I use protein powder in other things besides shakes. I eat grain free and sugar free and so when I make a "bread" or a dessert, I will usually put 1/3 cup of protein powder for ever cup of "flour" in a recipe. For sweets, I will use chocolate or vanilla powder ( I use Jay Robb whey protein) and for savory, I will use unsweetened/unflavored powder. Gluten is a protein and so when you bake gluten free (or grain free), the whey protein helps the end product to have the texture of a traditionally prepared baked good. AND I get extra protein. I have also made protein bars with protein powder. Google "Red Velvet Protein bars" and tons of ideas come up. I also but the real bacon bits in the salad dressing aisle and I put them on salads, in omelets, in cookies (not Joking!). 3 grams of protein per Tbsp and only 25 calories. Sometimes when I make a protein shake, I will put Friendship 1% cottage cheese in it and some vanilla and almond extracts and you will swear you are drinking a cake batter milkshake. Friendship 1% has 16g of protein in 1/2 cup. Most of the shakes I make, when all is counted, are almost 40 g of protein. Also, LOTS OF MEAT. Meat at every meal!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like you're eating much meat. Which is fine, it just makes things a little harder. My first thought is to add 4 oz of meat to your dinner for a start. But other than that-- dairy is your friend. Greek yogurt, 2% cottage cheese, milk, and cheese are good sources. Veggies, legumes, and nuts have protein too although in much smaller amounts. My diary is open and you're welcome to look through it. I'm on a bit more calories than you are though.

For a long time I had one of these two things for breakfast:

Greek Yogurt Concoction (don't let anyone tell you it tastes like cookie dough)
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    6 oz plain fat free greek yogurt
    16 grams (1 tbsp) peanut butter
    30 grams (2 tbsp) mini chocolate chips

Calories: 500
    Protein: 53
    (I know it's a bit of a calorie bomb, I've made half of it before too)

Greek Yogurt Protein Pancakes
    6 oz plain greek yogurt
    27 grams protein powder (about 2/3 scoop)
    1 egg white
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    30 grams (1/4 cup) flour

Makes 6 pancakes. Don't try to make bigger ones, they don't get cooked all the way through. Serve with syrup (I use sugar free. I know, I know, but it's only 30 calories), whipped cream, or fruit.

Calories: 329
    Protein: 45 g
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like you're eating much meat. Which is fine, it just makes things a little harder. My first thought is to add 4 oz of meat to your dinner for a start. But other than that-- dairy is your friend. Greek yogurt, 2% cottage cheese, milk, and cheese are good sources. Veggies, legumes, and nuts have protein too although in much smaller amounts. My diary is open and you're welcome to look through it. I'm on a bit more calories than you are though.

6 oz plain greek yogurt
    1 egg white
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    30 grams (1/4 cup) flour

Makes 6 pancakes. Don't try to make bigger ones, they don't get cooked all the way through. Serve with syrup (I use sugar free. I know, I know, but it's only 30 calories), whipped cream, or fruit.

How have I not seen this protein pancake recipe before? I need to try this one!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

6 oz plain greek yogurt
    1 egg white
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    30 grams (1/4 cup) flour

How have I not seen this protein pancake recipe before? I need to try this one!

Sorry I stole it from someone else so I figured it had made the rounds. :laugh: It's not too shabby and you can't argue with those macros.
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't eating too many grams of protein? One of my friend's just started a Low Carb High Protein diet through a doctor's supervision. She is supposed to eat 70 grams of protein and 20 grams of carbs. You seem to be doing well on your diet. I am trying to "follow" the same diet as my friends but not as extreme on the carbs. She has lost 40 lbs. in the past on this program. Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't eating too many grams of protein? One of my friend's just started a Low Carb High Protein diet through a doctor's supervision. She is supposed to eat 70 grams of protein and 20 grams of carbs. You seem to be doing well on your diet. I am trying to "follow" the same diet as my friends but not as extreme on the carbs. She has lost 40 lbs. in the past on this program. Good luck.:flowerforyou:

Generally for an active person eating at a deficit you want 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass so that your muscle is protected while you lose weight. Otherwise you end up losing both muscle and fat, which is bad on several levels.

140 might be a bit high. What are your stats, OP? Weight and body fat percentage if you know it?
  • beleeLafter
    beleeLafter Posts: 47
    Options
    I struggle with that sometimes too. What's helped me is making more of my own foods......really looking at the labels on anything prepared........even pre-logging to make sure it's the right balance. I also weigh or measure what I eat. I think if you just do a few swap outs, you could really increase your protein intake with no problem without having to always rely on protein powders. I incorporate eggs, egg whites, chicken, turkey, tilapia, flounder, salmon, tuna, cheese, plain Greek yogurt, etc. into my day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I struggle with that sometimes too. What's helped me is making more of my own foods......really looking at the labels on anything prepared........even pre-logging to make sure it's the right balance. I also weigh or measure what I eat. I think if you just do a few swap outs, you could really increase your protein intake with no problem without having to always rely on protein powders. I incorporate eggs, egg whites, chicken, turkey, tilapia, flounder, salmon, tuna, cheese, plain Greek yogurt, etc. into my day.

Prelogging is a great strategy. I do it myself. PLUS, it helps ensure that I have room for ice cream, and that helps keep me on track all day because I know if I have a cookie in the break room I'll have to pass on my nightly ice cream serving.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Ok.. I looked at your diary.. Here's my advice take it or leave it...

if you want to increase your protein you need to eat more food you make at home while making protein your focus. You need to weight your foods and log what you actually eat. It looks like you are eyeballing it, then using general entries that already exist in MFP's database. You have no idea what is in those recipes .Example is 1c fruit. What kind of fruit? Bananas have a lot more calories than an apple does. and how much is a cup? Did they measure out 8oz or did they just fill up 1 cup measuring cup? If they did that what size where the slices? Did they fill in all the crevices or leave a lot of air in the cup?? The macros in my recipes are usually vastly different then those in the MFP database. Protein is not hard to up. You just have to make it yur focus. When I cook I pick my protein first, then build my meal around it.

A typical day for me (I have a 1600 goals) is:

Scrambled egg comprised of 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, various vegetables. (whatever I have goes in it) and about 4-5 ounces of chicken. 400-600 calories and 50-70g of protein depending on exact measurement. I usually eat this for lunch

plain greek Greek yogurt mixed with fresh fruit. I use pineapple or strawberries the most. - around 200 calories about 20g protein- this is either breakfast or a snack

I make a big salad with lots of dark leafy green and broccoli and other veggies and put a whole can of tuna on it. Under 200 calories and 25-30g protein.

Chicken and vegetable soup or stir fry. I but anywhere from 8-12 oz of chicken in it and vegetable depend on sales. 400-500 calories 40-80g protein. - typically dinner, sometimes lunch - you can also use pork, but it's higher in salt and lower protein.

Fish pan seared with onions and other veggies or baked with salsa. My dinner last night was 12 oz of sigh baked with salsa, green beans and a salad. 586 calories 78g protein

I have dessert often. My dessert is about 6oz cottage cheese with sugar free jam, a splash of vanilla extract and some truvia and a cup of tea about 180 calories and 20g protein

I will have piece of fruit and a carrot for snacks as well.

i also make my own turkey sausage

or layer protein pancakes (just google recipes) ground turkey crumbles, scrambled eggs and cheddar bake and top with salsa. my recipe is about 250 calories with 25g protein per serving.

I'm not a big fan of red meat so I don't eat it often, but there is nothing wrong with it. I think it's a bit higher in calories then chicken and fish though.

I will sometimes use protein bars or powders, but i like food a lot more then I like powders. :)

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I too would say that your goal of 140 grams of protein per day might be too high. I would like to know how you arrived at that number. Basically, pure protein has 4 calories per gram so your 140 grams amounts to 560 calories right off the bat. Here is a little table I put together for my own use that shows the calories associated with various foods' protein content. Maybe it will be helpful for you.

Protein_zps6c574edd.jpg
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Generally for an active person eating at a deficit you want 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass so that your muscle is protected while you lose weight. Otherwise you end up losing both muscle and fat, which is bad on several levels.

140 might be a bit high. What are your stats, OP? Weight and body fat percentage if you know it?

I lift three times a week for strength and incorporate light weights during cardio for 45mins a week to work on muscle endurance.

5'9
    Sw:291
    Cw:240
    Gw:170
    37.3%body fat