Are Abs/Core work useless?

Options
so are they important? ok so you have strenght/cardio on your workout schedule. why do you have to do seperate core/ab work when i hear your tummy will be defined once you reduce your body fat %? Yes i am into heavy lifting and rarely do abs/core work but everybody here seems to do some sort of abs workout. What do you say? Is it really important? Any success stories since you included abs/core exercises in your routine, any difference?
please share.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. you're overthinking this
    2. you're abusing question marks
    3. continue to do your full body workout and include ab work if you want to. or don't. or do? or don't?
  • Abowles27
    Abowles27 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well for one I'm a runner and having a stronger core will help me run faster which you get a lot of strength from your core because it will help improve balance and it helps to make the back stronger which I read somewhere that it will help to increase flexibility. Overall, I believe it is one of the most important things to work on.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You do core work to strengthen your abs, not to lose fat. If you do a full body workout, then it has abs exercises in it, some things are impossible to do without engaging the abs.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    i get most of my core work through squats/front squats/deadlifts .. I haven't done a crunch/situp in years.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Your abs/core are engaged anytime you change directions, lean to the side, twist, dodge, get up, etc. Isn't that reason enough to want a reasonably strong set of core muscles?
  • awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    alright then folks, i will continue doing my 5x5 without any extra core work as it invloves deads and squats.
    thanks
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am considering adding in a specific core workout to my week...

Because it will help my form on my lifts...yes you engaged on lots of lifts thereby working your core but if your core is weak your form could be off due to that...
  • DavPul
    Options
    People are getting exercise advice from the Huffington post?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    People are getting exercise advice from the Huffington post?

Well, I figured she didn't have an account at TrainingPeaks.com to read all the wonderful information on core, and core workouts there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do all body weight lifts- and I still find I have to add in core work- I dont' make it a big thing- but I usually have like a "shoulders/core" day.

it's typically a down day for me- so I am not going heavy- but I do some detailling accessory work where I feel I may have missed and always add core in there that day. There is no real reason to skip it entirely. I'm a firm believer in compounds- and I know they work- but having some extra stuff is just to easy to throw in there so there is no reason not to.

Front squats are beast for this also LOL

Besides hanging leg raises- grip strength- pull up side work- and abs- how could you NOT do them!!!
  • DavPul
    Options
    I do all body weight lifts- and I still find I have to add in core work- I dont' make it a big thing- but I usually have like a "shoulders/core" day.

it's typically a down day for me- so I am not going heavy- but I do some detailling accessory work where I feel I may have missed and always add core in there that day. There is no real reason to skip it entirely. I'm a firm believer in compounds- and I know they work- but having some extra stuff is just to easy to throw in there so there is no reason not to.

Front squats are beast for this also LOL

Besides hanging leg raises- grip strength- pull up side work- and abs- how could you NOT do them!!!

who are you and what did you do to JoRocka's signature profile pic?
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    • I think they are useless if your goal is to reduce belly fat since core/ab exercises can't spot reduce.

• Core exercises are very important to me because I have a lot of problems with my back/discs and having a strong core keeps me out of chronic pain.
    (By core, I mean abs *and* lumbar)

• If you want to look like Leonidas from 300 (and have very low body fat + Photoshop already) then ab exercises would be helpful too :P
  • joeyzuraski
    joeyzuraski Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    All pump iron exercises should include core workouts at the end. My gym uses ActivTrax which includes one muscle group a day, then abs afterwards.

I also use Focus T-25 and I'm on the beta stage which works on Core Exercises. Cardio, Speed, 2 Ab workouts, and an Upper Body workout.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think you should do them for spot reduction. I only say "necessarily" because for me, even after working out hard for two years after a couple year hiatus and doing lots of core work, my shape really only changed once I added in lots of good old fashioned Rocky-style situps. However, whether or not you have visible abs has more to do with your diet and your body fat percentage.

However, that being said, aesthetics aside, having a strong core is priceless. It helps me with stability in my lifts. It stabilizes and protects my back in every day life. When I trail run, and I almost fall, having a strong core helps me stay upright. Everything on your body just seems to work better if your core is strong and stable. These are two separate but related qualities, so definitely work on both!

I didn't develop core strength and stability originally through a bunch of crunches. I got it through functional use of my core in pole dancing for fitness and also through yoga. I do some core exercises like hanging leg raises, twists with weight on a BOSU, toes to bar, and sit ups, but you'll never see me doing a crunch. I want to be able to use my core, not just look at it.

P.S. If you're going to work on your core, I'd also include some back extension exercises and/or supermans to make you stable all the way around.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and a 'planker' -- I don't plank to lose fat - I do it to tone .. seems to work fine.
  • theresa7576
    theresa7576 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love my core work. It's worth it. I have awesome abs.. all thanks to planks and a couple other ab exercises. That strong core makes everything else easier to do.
  • mrepicness
    mrepicness Posts: 1
    Options
    here is my take on abs/core work. if you want a stronger core, then do it! if you want to see a six pack or have a flat stomach, you have to burn the fat off first. so, it depends on what you want.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Not useless. But if people are doing them strictly to attain a 6 pack, then they've got it wrong. It's good to have some core work in any routine. To what extent on how STRONG you want your core to be will dictate how much time you put into it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    alright then folks, i will continue doing my 5x5 without any extra core work as it invloves deads and squats.
    thanks

I'd still throw in core work. Forget crunches and sit ups etc. Try: suit case deadlifts, front squat static holds, dumb bell side bends, fall outs, bar roll outs, dragon flags, hanging leg raises even push ups. I know many people think you get enough core work doing the main lifts but you can get more and have a stronger core. It's not for fat reduction, it's to have a strong core.