10km run tips wanted!

kwb87
kwb87 Posts: 70 Member
1 week till race day - any last minute advice?

I'm running my second ever official 10km run on Sunday 11th (also happens to be my birthday!). I did this same run 5 years ago and just went out to see what kind of time I could do, I did barely any training and set a time of 64 minutes. This time around I've been running regularly (twice a week for 6 months) but I am 10kg heavier and 5 years older! I'm still hoping to beat that 64 minutes.

Bearing in mind there's only 1 week to go, I've been keeping a good weights and cardio routine and eating a good balanced diet, has anyone got any tips for the week leading up to a race? All the advice I've found so far is about what to do in the weeks and months before a race.

Thanks x

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Make your runs a little shorter in the last week so you're well rested for the race (extra training won't make any difference at this stage). Get a good night's sleep before the race. Eat a good breakfast on race morning (at least 2.5 hours before) but don't have anything you haven't tried before.

Then in the race, work out what pace per km you need to run to beat your time and stick to it for at least the first 4km, then let yourself gradually speed up if you're feeling good. Good luck!
  • kwb87
    Thanks alot, that's really helpful! I'm really looking foreward to race day, to the point where I think I'll need to find out where the next one is because I won't like having nothing else to work towards!

The breakfast tips were especially helpful, thanks alot!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Start hydrating the day before the race. If you're already drinking 8 cups a day, add an extra 4 to 8 cups. The day of the race start hydrating an hour to an hour and a half before the start time. I usually drink 2 to 3 quarts. The proper amount is often described as being "sloshy" full. Try to urinate 10 to 15 minutes before start time, and you should be urinating clear.
  • kwb87
    Start hydrating the day before the race. If you're already drinking 8 cups a day, add an extra 4 to 8 cups. The day of the race start hydrating an hour to an hour and a half before the start time. I usually drink 2 to 3 quarts. The proper amount is often described as being "sloshy" full. Try to urinate 10 to 15 minutes before start time, and you should be urinating clear.

Thanks a lot! I wouldn't have thought about hydrating so early. It might be a bit warmer out than I'm used to as well.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Good advice here I think. The week before a 10 km I run 5 km or less a couple of times. It sounds to me like you're ready. Tagging so I can hear about your time.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    I'd agree with hydrating early, but I wouldn't personally want to get to the 'sloshy' stage, which is uncomfortable. Just as long as your urine is clear or a pale straw colour you're fine. And I'd stop drinking an hour before (except a sip or two if I had a dry mouth) so I wouldn't need to pee during the race.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    The way I hydrate is by upping my water 3-4 days out and have my last full glass of water no later than a hour before the race...and pee as close to start as possible. Then have a drink (I have Gatorade Fuel pouch) right before race starts.

Start out slow and hit all the water stops. The most important thing is to finish upright & uninjured so you can do it again.