Just Started Keto Diet and Feeling ultra-HUNGRY!

Options
Hey folks:

I just completed day four of my Keto diet and I feel like I could eat a horse. I thought I was suppose to feel full on this diet, but I am super hungry. What gives? My food diary is open, if anyone wants to check it out. I'm eating 65-70 percent fat, 10 percent or less of carbs, and the rest protein. I've eaten at around 2000-2100 calories a day before and never felt this hungry. My stomach is even rumbling!

I can only think of one thing: I am not getting enough fats because I get a lot of my fats from cooked meats and the meats lose fat when cooked.

That's the only theory I have at this point. Should I be drinking the fat from the pan?

Thoughts?
Help!

Replies

• ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without more info - height, weight etc, also you've not got a lot to lose so your deficit will be quite small. For more detailed advice I'd repost on a Keto group board with a bit more info, good luck :flowerforyou:
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    How about adding more fresh, green and coloured vegetables to your diet.
    Water?
    I am also following this type of diet.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising at the moment?
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you gotta get used to it. Can't remember the time it took the person who wrote it. I found the article when I searched for the Inuit Diet out of curiosity.

I've never tried that diet myself, so reaserch on fat intake vs hunger for yourself.

In my personal experience, whenever I eat too much saturated fat I always feel like I could eat a horse. I saw an experiment on pubmed relating diferent types of fat with hunger and that was what made me see it.

Hope it helps.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    You are seriously thinking about drinking the FAT FROM THE PAN?

I didn't mean to comment on this thread - just read but after reading that my comment would be why are you doing keto? Is there a particular reason for this? Did your doctor or nutritionist advise this?

...otherwise...

there are easier ways to lose weight than following an eating plan that leaves your chewing your arms off and drinking pan fat.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    You are seriously thinking about drinking the FAT FROM THE PAN?

I didn't mean to comment on this thread - just read but after reading that my comment would be why are you doing keto? Is there a particular reason for this? Did your doctor or nutritionist advise this?

...otherwise...

there are easier ways to lose weight than following an eating plan that leaves your chewing your arms off and drinking pan fat.

Fat from the pan - beef dripping. Mmmmmmmmm

Frying eggs in bacon fat is a good one.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    like anything else.....youll just have to get used to it.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Frying eggs in the bacon pan = perfectly acceptable use of fat.

Drinking straight from the pan = burnt lips, weird looks and possibly mental trauma to your family.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    Well I wouldn't recommend drinking it boiling hot.

But eating fat from the pan was a common thing in days gone by - usually spread on bread.
    Have you never heard of bread and dripping - that's what it is.
  • dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've just had a look at your diary and you look like your carbs are too high for a keto type diet. If its the path you want to follow then for at least a couple of weeks you probably need to cut yoghurt, nuts, fruit etc. Good luck!
  • evangelene12
    evangelene12 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've followed this type of diet and I find that upping protein more than fat helps keep me fuller longer.
  • beckylou66
    beckylou66 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've just had a look at your diary and you look like your carbs are too high for a keto type diet. If its the path you want to follow then for at least a couple of weeks you probably need to cut yoghurt, nuts, fruit etc. Good luck!

Agree
  • raeesa07
    raeesa07 Posts: 54
    Options
    With keto feeling hungry at first is one of the symptoms you're doing the right thing
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Well I wouldn't recommend drinking it boiling hot.

But eating fat from the pan was a common thing in days gone by - usually spread on bread.
    Have you never heard of bread and dripping - that's what it is.

Sadly I remember a time when 'bread and dripping' was a perfectly acceptable tea after coming home from school and before evening meal was ready!!
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Low carb makes me feel starving all the time, I never feel satiated and eventually I want to binge, even though that is not something I had felt the urge to do for a long time, or usually do.

It also makes me anxious, depressed, insomniac and gives me digestive problems, so I've realised it's not for me. I need my carbs. It's not for everyone, some people love it but others can't tolerate it.

It might not be right for you. If it's making you miserable, stop.
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    It takes at least a couple of weeks to get to that not-hungry stage. Give it time. When I was doing it I'd have to remind myself to eat.
  • nwright77
    nwright77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think you are eating too many carbs. I eat, on average, 10 - 15g net carbs a day. I have been using The Dissident Diet by Dawn Waldron as my guide since January this year. Not one day has gone by when I have been hungry.

Recommended food using the first 14 days includes:

Cheese, Greek Yogurt, Coconut Oil, Meat (Fish, Chicken, Duck even!)

List of zero carbs (of which you can eat however much you want) is mentioned as well as how much of certain food groups (nuts, pulses, low carb allowance) you can take in the first 14 days.

My fat intake is bordering on 130g a day, my protein intake around 70g, which puts the level of net carbs in the shade. Its a shame that MFP does not allow you to manually set the number of carbs, it only goes by percentage with 5% the minimum. On a 1500 calorie diet, that is 20g carbs!

Since January I have lost 27lb and counting :smile:

Good luck!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

I looked at a few days, and his net carbs are often lower than 30. That's not too many carbs for keto.

OP, more vegetables! Big salads, vegetable soup, mushrooms and spinach in an omelet... You'll be full.
  • CaiLogan
    CaiLogan Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the great information everyone!
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I feel like you might need a tad more fiber? Seems like you had about 20+ and then it has gone down to 16-17 range. Had to go back a little ways to see before Keto. Might be other stuff but that is what i noticed anyways.