Help! Always going over on carbs

Options
This happens to me every single day! Here is a screenshot of today's food thus far:

http://i32.tinypic.com/2zea2ro.png

And I still have 517 calories left AND I will earn more from exercise later. Yet I only have 37 some odd carbs left! Help me with some ideas please!

Replies

• hideandseek
    hideandseek Posts: 47
    Options
    This happens to me every single day! Here is a screenshot of today's food thus far:

http://i32.tinypic.com/2zea2ro.png

And I still have 517 calories left AND I will earn more from exercise later. Yet I only have 37 some odd carbs left! Help me with some ideas please!
  • hideandseek
    Options
    I wonder if CSS works on here
    2zea2ro.png

EDIT: Guess not
  • hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You don't have much protein. You don't like meat or eggs? I would switch to Simply Jif. It has less sugar and salt and 6 carbs. Also, maybe have some lean meats for lunch instead of cereal. I'm not sure. I just noticed that you don't have much protein. Eggs don't have carbs and vegetables are pretty low in them. Have some raw veggies with low fat ranch or lite dressing. I hope that helps a little.
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    yes i was thinkin the same i eat far more than u & i think thats how i get away with it from looking back at my logs as i usually come under slightly
  • iojoi
    Options
    also personally i wdnt have had milk and yogurt in one meal

and i dont know what cranberry crunch is ? but if its a cereal of some kind i wdnt have had that with granola in the same meal .......... just a personal opinion but i think its the way you are putting ur day together ...

maybe others more qualified might be able to help?
  • hideandseek
    Options
    Oh these aren't all at the same time. I guess I'm lazy and haven't changed the meals to say like, "meal 1, meal 2" etc. yet.

Meal 1 was the banana w peanut butter and orange juice at around 8am
    Meal 2 was the cereal and milk (it's a healthy cereal) at around 11am
    Meal 3 was the yogurt and granola at about 3pm
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Well you're eating a lot of fruit and juice and cereal and granola...those are all carbohydrate-rich foods. Try adding some meats or cheeses to your meals, those are high in protein and cheese has very few carbohydrates. You might want to replace the OJ with milk in the AM and add eggs and some egg whites to your second meal. Try a sandwich or salad with your yogurt instead of granola. These replacements will also better control your blood sugar, which is really important for health and fat loss.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, I agree with all so far--eat some protein!! And, less of the cereal. And, remember this--even if it says it's "healthy," it doesn't mean it is. Cereal is high in sodium usually. And carbs will be turned into sugar by body, so it's important to avoid too many. And, where's your vegis??
  • iojoi
    Options
    Well you're eating a lot of fruit and juice and cereal and granola...those are all carbohydrate-rich foods. Try adding some meats or cheeses to your meals, those are high in protein and cheese has very few carbohydrates. You might want to replace the OJ with milk in the AM and add eggs and some egg whites to your second meal. Try a sandwich or salad with your yogurt instead of granola. These replacements will also better control your blood sugar, which is really important for health and fat loss.

thats what i was thinking
    i find it better to have a good hearty breakfast then somethin small for lunch and fill up on a baked potato or something equally hearty with meat or mostly fish in my case with heaps of veg or salad
    since i started doing this I am rarely hungry
  • hideandseek
    Options
    I just had two eggs.

Also, it says I went over on protein. The yogurt, cereal, eggs, and milk provided a lot and the peanut butter gave its fair share too...
  • hideandseek
    Options
    My daily goal is 56 and thus far I've had 67.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I just had two eggs.

Also, it says I went over on protein. The yogurt, cereal, eggs, and milk provided a lot and the peanut butter gave its fair share too...

MFP puts your protein needs at about 15% of your daily calories, which is actually the minimum need for normal functioning, so if you exceed that it's just fine, especially if you're lifting. I manually changed my protein needs to 35% of my daily calories.
  • lietee
    lietee Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    ive noticed that your yogurt is high in carbs too i eat finesse yogurt found in extra foods stores or westfair foods. IT oly has 8 carbs for 100 g and 45 clories!
  • iojoi
    Options
    u will have to start afresh tomora and have a rethink as u cant undo what u already ate today

a typical day for me is
    porridge or poached egg on 1 toast for breakfast

something light like a tortilla for lunch full of salad & shavings of cheese or some scraps of meat etc

and either a cup of pasta or baked potatoe for dinner with meat or mostly for me its fish combined with salad and vegetables

i usually have room for a snack but mostly i have a couple of apples nuts or fruit of some kind maybe a yougurts and i rarely have probs

i imput my drinks in the morning i give myself a daily allowance of teas and sweetner and enuf milk for the day .. and if i know what meal i am having i put them in to then i know whats left
    if my calories are lookin a bit high then i can up my exercise to compensate

the things i avoid is too much bread and too much cereal
    hope this helps
  • hideandseek
    Options
    Well, the yogurt and granola is not going anywhere , heh, but the cereal is a pretty rare thing. I find that every time I eat cereal I feel like crap, even if it's super healthy.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Rethink your choices of carb-rich foods. Like there's no reason to have 2 servings of carbs and dairy for lunch. Substitute that second helping for a fiber-rich salad with some chicken, fish, or egg whites. Broth-based soups with LOTS of veggies and lean protein are good choices. I am a carb JUNKY-that's been my biggest challenge with my dieting changes. But I do notice I feel much less up and down energy-wise and I can eat so much more food during the day.

I don't know how to put my food diary on like you did, but I'd like to show you my intake for the day and I don't even come close to hitting my carbs.

Do a little research regarding low and lower carb foods. Incorporating foods that are as unprocessed as possible helps too.

Good luck!
  • iojoi
    Options
    dont worry too much u will get the hang of it I was in the same place as u 3 months ago
    i have now lost 20lbs altogether .... i think the trouble is gettin a balance of a little of everything that does u good .. i read cereal and granola was good for me so i did exactly the same thing

but by far the easiest way is to plan ahead and imput it as much as u can in the morning
    if its too high either exercise more or adapt ur meals as u need
    but dont stress if only go a tiny bit over ... its not a crime ... and its really also about what u consume over the week being balanced ... u know its not essential to cut things out totaly ... treats are what keep me going ... feeling deprived is totaly demoralisin..

get the right balance and enjoy ur food and in turn ur weight loss will follow
  • hideandseek
    Options

I don't know how to put my food diary on like you did, but I'd like to show you my intake for the day and I don't even come close to hitting my carbs.

Just hit the "Print Screen" button on the top right hand corner of your keyboard, open Microsoft Paint, press CTRL+V, save it, and upload the file to tinypic.com

Voila
  • iojoi
    Options
    Rethink your choices of carb-rich foods. Like there's no reason to have 2 servings of carbs and dairy for lunch. Substitute that second helping for a fiber-rich salad with some chicken, fish, or egg whites. Broth-based soups with LOTS of veggies and lean protein are good choices. I am a carb JUNKY-that's been my biggest challenge with my dieting changes. But I do notice I feel much less up and down energy-wise and I can eat so much more food during the day.

Do a little research regarding low and lower carb foods. Incorporating foods that are as unprocessed as possible helps too.

Good luck!

from one carb junkie to another that was my biggest challange too :flowerforyou:
    my fat intake and sugar was much lower than i expected carbs really were my issue
    and after i ate all i wanted to do was sleep
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Well, the yogurt and granola is not going anywhere

Not to be mean, but that's the kind of thinking that might be holding you back. If you are unwilling to give up the foods that may halting you the most, you can't expect stellar results. Honestly, I never realized just how important food choices were until I really started watching my intake. I used to think 100 calories was 100 calories be it from ice cream or green beans. But looking at the nutritional value of both of these, clearly it's the green beans that will be the better choice.

Think of the relatively short period of time it will take you to lose your weight, and then you can lose a little bit of the rigidity you need right now when you are looking fabulous and healthy!!!
    :smile: