zumba???

Options
I took a zumba class the other day for the first time. It was totally fun, and I want to do it again, but how many calories does it burn?? I can't log it in. Anyone else have this problem? Or have you tried zumba and what do you think?

Replies

• GardenGuide
    Options
    Hi. I have absoutley fallen in Love with Zumba. Enjoy!
  • platano6
    platano6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have a heart rate monitor on during Zumba, you can find the number of calories you burn. I could not imagine anyone buring 1000 calories during a 60 minute Zumba class. I will teach a Zumba class on Wednesday and will where my heart rate monitor. I would expect it to read somewhere around 500 calories. Try to make all of your movements as big as possible. This would include the use of your arms, legs and Hips... It's a lot of fun when you make the moves large! Have fun.
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Personally I haven't done zumba - I can't afford the "elite" membership at my gym and with a "regular" membership we don't have access to classes. But, I do have a few friends who do zumba and love it! They wear a HRM to see their calories burned and then add that into their exercise database. HRM's vary in price from $20 - $100+ - that's on my Christmas wish list! :-)
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I log zumba as: "Dancing, aerobics, ballet or modern, twist"

I reckon they just about cover it!

its a rough guide.

I love zumba too. Its random! : )
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    .I guess I'm gonna have to break down and get a HR monitor. I've been doing Zumba once a week ( it's all my schedule will allow) and love it, but I've been counting it as an aerobic work out. Guess I'll put that on my shopping list today.
  • AmyShip
    AmyShip Posts: 24
    Options
    I log Zumba as Aerobics. I wear a heart rate monitor and i burn between 700-900 calories in the hour, depending on how hard i work. I would get a heart rate monitor that tracks calories, it's your best bet to accurately calculate the calories.
  • thenebean9
    Options
    @suzikelley - check out www.zumba.com to find other instructors in your area! not all zumba instructors teach at gyms, and you may be able to find an instructor who accepts drop-ins at a price per class :)
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a HRM. They're awesome! Everyone burns a different amount of calories...and it all depends on what dances are being done (high or low intensity). For me, on two dif. days, I've burned 530cal & 564cal durning a one hour session....
  • lesliejsilva
    lesliejsilva Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I personally think I burn more than 500 calories because I'm heavier I burn more...and I also feel like it's more than just modern aerobic dance, well my class is anyway...I also took kickboxing before and it's the same intensity and sweat factor for me (lol!) so I just log it in as kickboxing.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I just log with the same calories burned as dance modern or belly dancing. I might be burning more, I might be burning less (since at the moment I don't know the moves), but until I dish out some $$$ for a heart rate monitor this will do lol.
  • nuttytart1976
    Options
    Is there any reason why Zumba isnt listed as an exercise? You 'supposedly' burn more calories doing Zumba than Jazzercise etc!!
    I go to 3/4 classes a week, do a DVD at home twice a week... Now in my 6th week and love it :0)
    xxxx
  • manamac
    manamac Posts: 13
    Options
    I took my HRM to my last Zumba class and I burned about 250 cals. As mentioned though everyone is different in the calories they burn while working out. The class is a great time and I have an absolute blast!
  • jaimechiioldi
    jaimechiioldi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I go to Jazzercise 5-7 times a week and I burn anywhere from 550 to 700 calories in an hour (I wear a HRM every time I go)....so I would think Zumba would be close to the same numbers (depending on weight of course).
  • nuttytart1976
    Options
    I'd better purchase a HRM then hadnt I!! lol! Thanks guys for your advise.
    Nutty xx
  • PercyPig
    PercyPig Posts: 318
    Options
    I take my HRM to Zumba classes and when I work really hard I burn 550-600 cals in 45 minutes.