Wanting to start training for running...

Options
Hi Everyone... i am an avid walker but i want to start training to jog... i have tried in the past but find it very exhausting and give up quickly... does anyone have some tips on how to start conditioning yourself to jog??? Thanks much for all your help...
blessed be,
willow

Replies

• eversits
    eversits Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml. It has a very easy and helpful plan to start jogging/running. I just started it this week, but everybody swears by it!!!
    Good luck!!!
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    For your initial stage... just do it... when you are out walking and feel the need to break on through to the other side.. do it.. run.... and then when you cant stop and walk and then run again. It feels good and you will love it. After a week of doing random spurts start to "train" by running for a minute or two then walk for 3... build up until your runs are longer than your walks. There are a lot of programs out there that will help you... pick a goal... i.e. run a 5k in less than 30 minutes and train for that. I also subscribe to Runners magazine because it has a lot of tips for the novice through the pro. I am goal oriented and very competitive ... if you want to run just to run then set mini goals for yourself and build from there. Hope this helps.
  • FatGoinDown
    FatGoinDown Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Go slow. It's not about speed at first. Pay attention to your body and have fun. Work up to 5k without stopping and just do that for a long time. A really good book is "Running Room's Book on Running" by John Stanton. You may find joining a clinic helpful, or to run with friends. Personally, I found I could not keep up and sustained injuries. My answer was to run by myself. After 2 years of not running, I started again and got my 5k (without stopping) in no time. If you have an ipod, you can get this device from Nike which will help you clock your distance. Go to Nike+ .com. Above all, have fun and enjoy it!
  • Willow_28
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great tips!!! Looking forward to starting tomorrow morning... Thanks again...
    blessed be,
    willow
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone... i am an avid walker but i want to start training to jog... i have tried in the past but find it very exhausting and give up quickly... does anyone have some tips on how to start conditioning yourself to jog??? Thanks much for all your help...
    blessed be,
    willow

Jog for one minute, walk for one minute, jog for one minute, walk for one minute, continue doing that until you have completed however long you set out to do. As it begins to feel easier over the coming weeks, shorten the walk time by, say 10 seconds and lengthen the jog time by 10 seconds, eventually, you will eliminate the walk time and be jogging the whole session.

The trick is to not try to rush it all, just take your time and you will get there in the end.