Biggest surprise after buying a scale

Options
2»

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Unlike most, I was overestimating my portions.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Margarine.

I thought I was using a spoonful (approx 5g)...was using more like a scrape (2-3g consistently when I weigh it) so WIN!
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I got a food scale, a new set of measuring cups, and a new set of measuring spoons before I started logging, so I had no "before and after" type surprises. But some of the quantities I'd get for veggies really surprised me when I weighed them--six ounces of steamed broccoli (measured raw) is considerable!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, the biggest one... Pasta and rice. Yikes. 2oz of dried pasta is really not much. And 100g of cooked rice isn't that much either.

For veggies it was the other way around for me, I always thought I could eat a ton for 100 calories... and it's not as much as I thought. A serving of 85g is actually pretty small.
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My great big plates look so empty now with proper portion sizes. A 4oz steak is super small. I saw the video about weighing before I started good so I didn't have a chance to be set in to bad a habit.
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My biggest surprise was how much I was over estimating! Which explains why I've been so hungry without the scale! lol
  • Dalton1720
    Dalton1720 Posts: 104
    Options
    I have a food scale but only find it handy when I need to weigh out meats. I use a measuring cup for almost everything else like cereal, fruit, grains, chopped veggies. I suppose its not "as" accurate but It seems to be easier for me to log with.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale but only find it handy when I need to weigh out meats. I use a measuring cup for almost everything else like cereal, fruit, grains, chopped veggies. I suppose its not "as" accurate but It seems to be easier for me to log with.

Cereal is horribly off. A one cup serving is typically 2/3 of a cup really. At sometimes 200 calories a serving... it adds up.

I don't get it anyway - why bother using more cups to wash? Put bowl on scale, tare, put food, no extra dishes.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I had good and bad surprises really....

Good surprise 1/2c of cottage cheese is not 125g...it's a lot less so I got more of that
    Bad surprise 27g of cereal (fruit loops) is a pittance...makes me cry...

I was actually really good at estimating my meat...I used to use that deck of cards thing = 4oz, horrible at starches/carbs...way under estimating...100g of boiled potatoes...makes me cry...

The only thing with my food scale is that it has sort of made me lazy...not really looking at the quantity on my plate...just the number on the scale...I have to become more aware of that.

As well if I don't buy the same brand of cheese I am screwed..I can get 30g of cheese bang on from Cracker barrel...but no other brands...
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My great big plates look so empty now with proper portion sizes. A 4oz steak is super small. I saw the video about weighing before I started good so I didn't have a chance to be set in to bad a habit.

I've pretty much switched from using dinner plates to salad plates because of this! There is research to support that you feel more satisfied if you eat from a full, small plate vs. a half-full, large plate.
    http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/outreach/large-plates.html
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm really sad about how much a serving of cereal really is.

Yup, that and pasta.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    me too!
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    me too!
    OK, there was supposed to a quote about an ounce of potato chips in there, this should make sense now!
  • Dalton1720
    Dalton1720 Posts: 104
    Options
    Im going to start using my scale for everything because I do eat a decent serving size of cereal so you're probably right. Plus, the more accurate I get the better results. Thanks for the info guys! Ill be sure to post if I find any surprises about my serving sizes.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options

I went out and bought a bunch more salad plates and put the normal dinner plates on a higher shelf since I hardly use them.
  • ovi212
    ovi212 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was actually really overestimating the calories in vegetables. I can eat so much more now that I weight them!