Help? Generally OK with weight, but...

Options
I am currently just trying to maintain my weight (5'0" and 105 pounds). I'm generally okay with my appearance, but then I look at pictures of myself or see myself in the window of somewhere and then I feel fat. Then I eat at a deficit for about a week. I don't think this is healthy. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, nor a therapist, but body dysmorphia is a real thing and you sound conflicted by the fact you are at a healthy weight and the disproportionate perception you have of yourself when you look at yourself remotely. If feasible, I suggest some therapy to find a solid basis for your discomfort. Perhaps you dislike the way your body is toned and you could add some weight lifting to give some definition?

Either way, you are aware your perception is not very healthy, so I'm going to just suggest you work on the root of your dissatisfaction. Much luck and hang in there!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Please take a look at a BMI chart - seems to me that you are better than fine... your call
  • mooncath
    mooncath Posts: 31
    Options
    It's odd, because I can look in mirrors and that's fine... Not sure how feasible therapy is for at least a few more months.
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi I can totally relate to you I'm 5 '0 but weigh 117 lbs fluctuate 115.lbs still not happy with reflections in the mirror hate the way I look which is sad as I'm 48 time to be happy but I'm not.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It's odd, because I can look in mirrors and that's fine... Not sure how feasible therapy is for at least a few more months.

Well, you mentioned pictures and windows...pictures add weight (which is the nature of the lens) and windows distort our reflections (which is the nature of the glass).

If you like yourself in your mirror, I'd say you should maintain and enjoy!
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too.....It's a work in progress to learn to accept your body and love it for all the good things.

I try to do this.
  • mooncath
    mooncath Posts: 31
    Options
    Well, you mentioned pictures and windows...pictures add weight (which is the nature of the lens) and windows distort our reflections (which is the nature of the glass).

Ah, no wonder why physics was never my strong suit.

It's frustrating, because I know that in the case of windows at least, it's not going to be a good reflection because sometimes they're at angles, but then when I look, I lose it.