What is a good starting weight for a kettlebell?

Options
I'm looking at kettlebells on amazon, trying to decide which type and weight, I'm leaning towards 10 lbs, but not sure if that will be good for me. I don't want it too light but not super heavy, I use 3 lb weights for now and sometimes use both in one hand. I want it for squats and swings to start. I'm pretty small, not a lot of upper body strength.

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into Kettlebells, too! The weight they typically recommend for beginners is 8kg for ladies and 16kg for men. That does sound heavy. I can only guess it has something to do with the kettlebell movements being very different than dumbell movements. The Metrixx 8kg kettlebell from Kettlebell USA looks like a great model and is currently on sale for $40 with free shipping.

Nearly every site I turn to says buying Kettlebells online and then trying to learn how to use them from a book or DVD is a likely path to injury. I plan to have a kettlebell instructor teach me the basics. The places near me charge $20 per class, and since I only want an intro, anywhere within an hour is fine.

Good luck with your training. :)
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I found this: http://kettlebellsworkouts.com/kettlebell-store/ and this: http://kettlebellsworkouts.com/beginner-kettlebell-workout/ I think I might go with the 15lb, but I'm going to check the weights when I go to walmart in a bit. I'll be buying from amazon though.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Whatever weight allows you to do the exercise with proper form and that will be determined by your current strength abilities.
  • crsawinton
    Options
    the problem is 'm trying to order from amazon. I don't go to a gym and my local town only has walmart with a couple different ones.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    the problem is 'm trying to order from amazon. I don't go to a gym and my local town only has walmart with a couple different ones.

Go to Walmart and perform a couple of the exercises with the small selection they have. Have a friend take a vid of you so that you can see what your form looks like with the different weights or just go by feel if that's not feasible. From that, you should get a better idea of what weight would be appropriate for you.

I do a few kettle bell exercises from time to time. I use everything from 26 to 55 lb weights depending on the exercise being completed. You really need to try the exercises first. Does your area have a used sporting goods store? I have to drive to a different town than my own but one not too far away has a place called "Use it again sports" and that's where I purchased all of my kettle bells for about 2/3 the price of new and I was able to 'test drive' them before purchasing.

Be creative and you'll figure it out.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    find a kettle bell class - learn good form and figure out the weight you need. 8kg is the lightest you`ll need - seriously my coaches 2 year old daughter can pick up his 8 kg bell a grown woman should be able to
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    i have a kb.. i love it!!! its a 10 lb bell.. i have arthritis in my wrists and in my left elbow.. if i didn't i would probably lift heavier than a 10. if you have no issues as i do.. i would go at least with a 15, but try them out see whats comfortable you want heavy enough that its not easy but not heavy your pulling yourself too hard .
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    4kg = 8.8lb - I started a class and was told to start with that, and gradually move up. It will depend if you have used a lot of weights etc. before as well. I have also kettlercise dvd and use that in house with my own 4kg and will gradually move on to 6kg and then maybe 8kg at a push.

you should feel a few of weights at shops and see what you feel is best - don't go too high to start with though :smile:
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 pound one that I need to sell on CL as my trainer made me start with 35 lbs...no going back...50 will be next!
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    yea if i didnt have the arthritis to contend with.. 10 pounds really would be too light.
  • brewer377
    brewer377 Posts: 1
    Options
    There's tons of good programs out there. I'd stick with strongfirst and Dragon door. I've used them for years. A good starting weight would probably be 12-16 pounds and focus on technique. Lots of sets of low reps. Not typical crossfit workouts.

For some program reviews, check out jbkettlebelltraining.com.

Beat of luck!
  • crsawinton
    Options
    I went to walmart and went with the 10lb, they only had 10, 15, and 20 (smallest walmart on earth) I'm not a gym person, plus I live 25 minutes from town, so I'll look online for workout form, ect. thanks everyone!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I started with a 5kg kettle bell. Fitness blender has a beginner 30 min workout which I did with it. I now use an 8kg and 12kg bells. I do really need new ones though.
  • Bardane
    Bardane Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started with an 8kg to learn the movements. Now I use a 20kg, and hope to move to 24kg in a few weeks. I use the 8kg and 12kg for long cycle swings of 100-200 swings which is my cardio effort, along with overhead presses and goblet squats .

Never enjoyed cardio until I started the kettle bells :love:
  • nanook37
    nanook37 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend livefitrevolution.org which is a 12 week free kettlebell program taught by a certified kettlebell trainer and she talks about what weight to start with... Because most KB movements use the lower body you can and should go much heavier so you should probably be starting with around a 8KG or 20lb bell
  • crsawinton
    Options
    I just joined http://livefitrevolution.org/ I will look for the 12 week program thanks!!