I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hey I am 25 years old male with a sedentary lifestyle (software engineer student/intern). 5'7 ish.

I have always been overweight (around 190 by the end of high school) but each year I've been gaining 5-10 pounds more to my current weight of around 225 pounds.

I recently started using MyFitnessPal as well as signing up for a gym.

Apparently if I want to lose 2 pounds a week I need 1500 net calories per day. I haven't found it very hard to be around that number but I feel like it might be slightly low. The way I see it, I aim for 1500 net and as long as I am 2000 or lower that is fine. I usually eat 2000 everyday and on the days I workout/walk I usually lose around 500.

As for the gym, my gym has this beginner circuit where there are 8 machines reserved (Not sure about the names : 1. is a leg curl machine in a sitting position where you push down, 2. the other where you push upwards. 3. Is one that is like a sitting bench press, where you push forwards and work your pecs. 4. is one that is like an overhead press. 5. is a lat pull down machine and 6. a triceps pushdown machine. Finally there is 7. a crunch machine that works abs and then 8. a back extension machine that works whatever the muscles in your lower back are called).

You do each machine for 1 minute non-stop with 30 seconds pause in between. Added to that is 8 minutes of warm-up cardio (I usually use the elliptical here) and then 10 minutes of intense cardio to finish it off (I like to run on the treadmill here). Do you think this is a good beginner program? I like it because it's quick and simple yet still feels intense for me.

BTW, your pictures are inspirational.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    How long did it take to see results

Depends on what you mean by "results". I probably lost 15-20 lbs in the first month but on someone over 300 that's going to be a lot of water and not make a huge visual difference. After a year a looked like an entirely different person. Basically, if you have a ton of weight to lose, and haven't lost hardly any within a couple months, you're doing something (or many things) wrong.
    jensenjenm wrote: »
    Just wondering how it's going for you years later in the maintenance phase. I am nearing the end of my weight loss and approaching maintenance myself. Please feel free to friend me.
    I never really entered a "maintenance" phase. I feel like this is a mistake for most people. Any time I met a goal I simply set a new one. Once I achieved weight loss for health purposes I decided to start working on body recomposition and aesthetics. I still am to this day. Usually I spend about 7-8 months each year purposefully gaining weight (slowly) and strength then the remaining 4-5 months cutting off the fat that was added from the gaining phase. In theory each year you have a little more lean tissue and a little less fat at roughly the same weight. I'll probably do this indefinitely.

• alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Doing stronglifts for 10 weeks now without cardio, only leisure walks and yoga stretching. I'm trying to lose belly pooch, but I notice my back and shoulders getting wider and thighs getting bigger, belly pooch still there. I read an article where they say women will get bigger before they get smaller, but my clothes are getting tighter. I used to be a cardio junkie. Recently, i've been thinking of doing cardio alternating days between my lifts but i'm afraid my lifts will plateau as my lifts are getting difficult with passing weeks. I'm getting a bit uncomfortable with my body now. I'm on a plant based diet for almost 2.5 years and doing intuitive eating and doesnt track my weight. Should I start cutting and do cardio again? should i follow any specific macros? Any advice? Thank you!

My lifts are
    squat-100lbs
    bench press-55lbs
    barbell row-60lbs
    ohp-40lbs
    deadlift-130lbs

height-5'3
  • RachelEdwards1977
    RachelEdwards1977 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I haven't read through every single post, (theres73pages) so I apologise if youve already answered this. What is your opinion on intermittent fasting? Is it something you did? Were you very strict with what you ate or were you more IIFYM?
  • karm029
    karm029 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hi,
    i am also obese
    my current weight is 216.93 lbs,height 166 cm.
    i have started workout and diet from some 42-45 days and lose 14 lbs in these days
    my problem is i face too much fluctuations in weight, before 4 days it was 213.6 lbs ,when i keep my calories under 1300 strictly (after asking in this community i increased my calories intake to 1500 from 3 days ) still facing these much fluctuations what is solution, i am pure veg,so didn't eat any non-veg/eggs items
    and i do exercise daily 2 hours which burn around 700-750 calories ,how i can improve my performance,i have to lose more 80-82 lbs ,how i can do it really quickly,please help me ..
  • take2spicy
    take2spicy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Nice job!
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Impressive as hell, but not typical.., the amount of discipline it must have taken, unreal. I went from 212 -> 147 -> 170 (long story but working on it, see photo, got severe AMS ~17000 ft climbing Kilimanjaro and was in not so good shape for a couple months) and never looked like that, he is right folks, heavy lifting is key. I, too have started lifting way late, and at my age takes roughly a month to put on 1 lb of muscle, but not a deterrent, just what I do, as its a lifestyle.
  • Rabia0202
    Rabia0202 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there u have probably already answered this apologies in advance.
    What do you recommend for female 5ft2 needs to lose around stone.
    I'm starting the fast diet 5:2 to lose weight but in terms of exercise I need advice for quickest results.
    Many thanks
  • vismal
    Options
    nFoooo wrote: »
    Hey I am 25 years old male with a sedentary lifestyle (software engineer student/intern). 5'7 ish.

I have always been overweight (around 190 by the end of high school) but each year I've been gaining 5-10 pounds more to my current weight of around 225 pounds.

I recently started using MyFitnessPal as well as signing up for a gym.

Apparently if I want to lose 2 pounds a week I need 1500 net calories per day. I haven't found it very hard to be around that number but I feel like it might be slightly low. The way I see it, I aim for 1500 net and as long as I am 2000 or lower that is fine. I usually eat 2000 everyday and on the days I workout/walk I usually lose around 500.

As for the gym, my gym has this beginner circuit where there are 8 machines reserved (Not sure about the names : 1. is a leg curl machine in a sitting position where you push down, 2. the other where you push upwards. 3. Is one that is like a sitting bench press, where you push forwards and work your pecs. 4. is one that is like an overhead press. 5. is a lat pull down machine and 6. a triceps pushdown machine. Finally there is 7. a crunch machine that works abs and then 8. a back extension machine that works whatever the muscles in your lower back are called).

You do each machine for 1 minute non-stop with 30 seconds pause in between. Added to that is 8 minutes of warm-up cardio (I usually use the elliptical here) and then 10 minutes of intense cardio to finish it off (I like to run on the treadmill here). Do you think this is a good beginner program? I like it because it's quick and simple yet still feels intense for me.

BTW, your pictures are inspirational.
    I don't use MFP's method of calculating calories. MFP gives you a number, assumes you'll exercise (and log that exercise) then adds calories for you to eat based on the exercise you did. Calculating exercise calories involves a lot of estimation and can really complicate what can be a rather simple process. I prefer to simply pick a calorie goal, track extremely accurately (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101), and follow your weight. If you are losing weight, you're fine. If you are not, after a few weeks, reduce your calories by about 10% or so and repeat the process. You can fine tune things by paying attention to macronutrients as well as just calories. I explain all of that here: .

As for your workout plan, I'd say it's pretty terrible. Circuit training pretty much sucks IMO. I loathe any kind of weightlifting that involves "do as many reps as possible in a given amount of time". How do you progress? Do you add weight? Do you try for more reps? A much better approach for a beginner is to focus on the basic, compound, barbell movements. I like programs like starting strength, stronglifts, or my new favorite, the greyskull LP. They are simple, concentrate on the most important movements, and have progression (lifting heavier weights as time goes on) built right into them. I would suggest you ditch the circuit training for a proven beginners routine.
    alechua wrote: »
    Doing stronglifts for 10 weeks now without cardio, only leisure walks and yoga stretching. I'm trying to lose belly pooch, but I notice my back and shoulders getting wider and thighs getting bigger, belly pooch still there. I read an article where they say women will get bigger before they get smaller, but my clothes are getting tighter. I used to be a cardio junkie. Recently, i've been thinking of doing cardio alternating days between my lifts but i'm afraid my lifts will plateau as my lifts are getting difficult with passing weeks. I'm getting a bit uncomfortable with my body now. I'm on a plant based diet for almost 2.5 years and doing intuitive eating and doesnt track my weight. Should I start cutting and do cardio again? should i follow any specific macros? Any advice? Thank you!

My lifts are
    squat-100lbs
    bench press-55lbs
    barbell row-60lbs
    ohp-40lbs
    deadlift-130lbs

height-5'3
    So the idea that women get bigger before they get smaller is nonsense. If you eat less calories then you burn in a day, you'll lose weight (get smaller). If you eat more calories then you burn in a day, you'll gain. If your muscles are getting bigger and your stomach isn't getting any smaller, my guess is that on average you are eating more per day then you are burning. Muscle gain is fine and is a part of body recomposition but if your current goal is fat loss, then you need to alter your diet to achieve a calorie deficit. Intuitive eating is great and all but it makes knowing whether or not you're in a deficit difficult. Additionally, not weighing yourself also complicates the process. If you are relying on how you look and how your clothes fit to determine if you are gaining or losing, it's going to take weeks at a time before you really notice visual changes and have the opportunity to adjust calories. The video I linked above explains how I calculate a calorie/macro plan. If you are trying to lose fat then you also must be prepared for the progression of your lifts to slow down or stop altogether. It is much more difficult to gain strength while in a calorie deficit versus a calorie surplus but again, this is okay. A good goal while focusing on fat loss is to simply maintain strength, any gains can be considered a bonus. After you finish losing the desired amount of fat, you can begin to add weight slowly in order to advance strength again. If you gain slowly enough you won't gain too much fat. This is essentially the basic bodybuilding principle of bulk/cut cycling and is what most men and women use to achieve an aesthetic physique.

• vismal
    Options
    Hi,
    I haven't read through every single post, (theres73pages) so I apologise if youve already answered this. What is your opinion on intermittent fasting? Is it something you did? Were you very strict with what you ate or were you more IIFYM?
    Intermittent fasting (IF) is a great tool for helping with adherence during weight loss. I used it year round for a number of years and but now I usually use it only during times of fat loss or maintenance while I stick to a more conventional eating pattern during muscle building phases. First things first, it isn't magic. By that I mean it does not speed fat loss compared to a regular eating pattern if the calories are the same. What it does do (for some) is make it easier to maintain a calorie deficit by aiding with satiation. It can make fat loss faster in the sense that it might allow you to be able to eat fewer calories per day compared to conventional eating and still remain compliant. It also offers convenience because you only have to worry about food for a limited period during the day. Rather than thinking about what to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and in between I usually just have 2 large "meals" and I'm done. Some people hate IF and it simply doesn't work well for their lifestyle. I usually advise anyone interested to give it a go and to at least try it for 3-4 weeks. The first week or two can be rough for some people. I was fortunate and after a day or too I was pretty much used to the new way of eating. If after a month you like the diet, then by all means continue. If not, give it up. Remember, IF should make things easier for you, if it's making things harder, then don't do it.

I follow IIFYM because the types of foods you eat largely do not affect results. That being said, when I am in a calorie deficit I still predominantly eat "healthy" foods because they are the most satiating. I large plate of vegetables probably have about the same amount of calories and carbs as a small serving of candy. While either could be incorporated into my diet, 9 times out of 10 I will choose the vegetables because they will do more to keep me full. But it is nice to know that the 1 time out of 10 when I really want the candy, I can have it.
    karm029 wrote: »
    hi,
    i am also obese
    i have started workout and diet from some 42-45 days and lose 14 lbs in these days
    my problem is i face too much fluctuations in weight, before 4 days it was 213.6 lbs ,when i keep my calories under 1300 strictly (after asking in this community i increased my calories intake to 1500 from 3 days ) still facing these much fluctuations what is solution, i am pure veg,so didn't eat any non-veg/eggs items
    and i do exercise daily 2 hours which burn around 700-750 calories ,how i can improve my performance,i have to lose more 80-82 lbs ,how i can do it really quickly,please help me ..

Weight fluctuations are completely normal. Weight loss and gain isn't linear. I recommend that people weigh daily but then track those weights with something like trendweight.com. The website takes daily weights and does a rolling average so you can see what your weight is actually doing beneath all the daily fluctuations. As for your calories, if you weigh 216 and are eating between 1300-1500 calories + burning 700 with cardio and weight isn't pouring off, then you are eating much more then you think. Give this a read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
  • karm029
    karm029 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Hi,
    Intermittent fasting (IF) is a great tool for helping with adherence during weight loss. I used it year round for a number of years and but now I usually use it only during times of fat loss or maintenance while I stick to a more conventional eating pattern during muscle building phases. First things first, it isn't magic. By that I mean it does not speed fat loss compared to a regular eating pattern if the calories are the same. What it does do (for some) is make it easier to maintain a calorie deficit by aiding with satiation. It can make fat loss faster in the sense that it might allow you to be able to eat fewer calories per day compared to conventional eating and still remain compliant. It also offers convenience because you only have to worry about food for a limited period during the day. Rather than thinking about what to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and in between I usually just have 2 large "meals" and I'm done. Some people hate IF and it simply doesn't work well for their lifestyle. I usually advise anyone interested to give it a go and to at least try it for 3-4 weeks. The first week or two can be rough for some people. I was fortunate and after a day or too I was pretty much used to the new way of eating. If after a month you like the diet, then by all means continue. If not, give it up. Remember, IF should make things easier for you, if it's making things harder, then don't do it.

I follow IIFYM because the types of foods you eat largely do not affect results. That being said, when I am in a calorie deficit I still predominantly eat "healthy" foods because they are the most satiating. I large plate of vegetables probably have about the same amount of calories and carbs as a small serving of candy. While either could be incorporated into my diet, 9 times out of 10 I will choose the vegetables because they will do more to keep me full. But it is nice to know that the 1 time out of 10 when I really want the candy, I can have it.
    hi,
    i am also obese

Weight fluctuations are completely normal. Weight loss and gain isn't linear. I recommend that people weigh daily but then track those weights with something like trendweight.com. The website takes daily weights and does a rolling average so you can see what your weight is actually doing beneath all the daily fluctuations. As for your calories, if you weigh 216 and are eating between 1300-1500 calories + burning 700 with cardio and weight isn't pouring off, then you are eating much more then you think. Give this a read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101

i am losing 5-6 kg/month,but i don't think is it fine,Bcoz i want to lose more ... what should i do ?
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    height-5'3[/quote]So the idea that women get bigger before they get smaller is nonsense. If you eat less calories then you burn in a day, you'll lose weight (get smaller). If you eat more calories then you burn in a day, you'll gain. If your muscles are getting bigger and your stomach isn't getting any smaller, my guess is that on average you are eating more per day then you are burning. Muscle gain is fine and is a part of body recomposition but if your current goal is fat loss, then you need to alter your diet to achieve a calorie deficit. Intuitive eating is great and all but it makes knowing whether or not you're in a deficit difficult. Additionally, not weighing yourself also complicates the process. If you are relying on how you look and how your clothes fit to determine if you are gaining or losing, it's going to take weeks at a time before you really notice visual changes and have the opportunity to adjust calories. The video I linked above explains how I calculate a calorie/macro plan. If you are trying to lose fat then you also must be prepared for the progression of your lifts to slow down or stop altogether. It is much more difficult to gain strength while in a calorie deficit versus a calorie surplus but again, this is okay. A good goal while focusing on fat loss is to simply maintain strength, any gains can be considered a bonus. After you finish losing the desired amount of fat, you can begin to add weight slowly in order to advance strength again. If you gain slowly enough you won't gain too much fat. This is essentially the basic bodybuilding principle of bulk/cut cycling and is what most men and women use to achieve an aesthetic physique.

[/quote]
    Wouldn't it be too low if I didnt eat my exercise calories back? If I'm 130lb and want to gain muscle and lose fat can I use the 10 range for my calories, does it apply to only strength training and not doing cardio? Like 130x10=1,300 calories given i'm only doing stronglifts and no cardio, wouldn't be it too little to fuel my lifts? I can't seem to be full enough with that little calories, how about doing short HIIT cardio to increase my calories too? And is stronglifts good for fat loss, my gym trainer keep insisting to do hypertrophy, but I get too exhausted doing many reps. Do you take any supplements to supprt your strength training while on a deficit/maintenance calories to keep increasing the weights of your lifts? Thanks!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    i am losing 5-6 kg/month,but i don't think is it fine,Bcoz i want to lose more ... what should i do ?

Reset your expectations. 5-6 kg / month is faster than is healthy. You are likely losing muscle along with fat.
  • vismal
    Options
    Rabia0202 wrote: »
    Hi there u have probably already answered this apologies in advance.
    What do you recommend for female 5ft2 needs to lose around stone.
    I'm starting the fast diet 5:2 to lose weight but in terms of exercise I need advice for quickest results.
    Many thanks
    Basically the same things I'd recommend to anyone who needs to lose weight. You need to count your calories accurately and eat in a deficit. If after a few weeks of eating a consistent number of calories you aren't losing weight, reduce your calories by about 10%. If you are eating so few calories that you absolutely should be losing weight but aren't, examine how accurate your counting is http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
    5:2 is fine if you enjoy eating that way but it doesn't change the fact that a calorie deficit is needed. Because 2 of the days are super low or no calorie, you can eat more on the days that aren't but the average of the week is all that really matters. At a height of 5ft2 I'd caution you that results won't likely be quick. Petite women do not lose weight quickly. On the upside, petite women usually notice a difference in body composition with less total weight lost than taller women so there's that.
    Hi,

hi,
    i am also obese

Obtain more realistic expectations. 5-6kg a month is already too much and will be almost impossible to maintain. You will likely have to settle for about 3kg a month and eventually even that will be hard to achieve and 1.5-2 will be more realistic. You do not get fat overnight and you can't help to get unfat overnight either. That being said, losing 2kg a month for a year will have most people looking like an entirely different person.

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I know the key to weight loss is deficit, but what's a LEGIT fat burner that's out there?
  • brandontaylorcmm
    brandontaylorcmm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow awesome job brother... Trying to get in shape like that... Did you have to do excessive skin removal surgery or did it just tighten up naturally? I went from 265 to 195 and have loose skin, and don't know how to get rid of it...
  • vismal
    Options
    alechua wrote: »
    height-5'3
    So the idea that women get bigger before they get smaller is nonsense. If you eat less calories then you burn in a day, you'll lose weight (get smaller). If you eat more calories then you burn in a day, you'll gain. If your muscles are getting bigger and your stomach isn't getting any smaller, my guess is that on average you are eating more per day then you are burning. Muscle gain is fine and is a part of body recomposition but if your current goal is fat loss, then you need to alter your diet to achieve a calorie deficit. Intuitive eating is great and all but it makes knowing whether or not you're in a deficit difficult. Additionally, not weighing yourself also complicates the process. If you are relying on how you look and how your clothes fit to determine if you are gaining or losing, it's going to take weeks at a time before you really notice visual changes and have the opportunity to adjust calories. The video I linked above explains how I calculate a calorie/macro plan. If you are trying to lose fat then you also must be prepared for the progression of your lifts to slow down or stop altogether. It is much more difficult to gain strength while in a calorie deficit versus a calorie surplus but again, this is okay. A good goal while focusing on fat loss is to simply maintain strength, any gains can be considered a bonus. After you finish losing the desired amount of fat, you can begin to add weight slowly in order to advance strength again. If you gain slowly enough you won't gain too much fat. This is essentially the basic bodybuilding principle of bulk/cut cycling and is what most men and women use to achieve an aesthetic physique.

[/quote]
    Wouldn't it be too low if I didnt eat my exercise calories back? If I'm 130lb and want to gain muscle and lose fat can I use the 10 range for my calories, does it apply to only strength training and not doing cardio? Like 130x10=1,300 calories given i'm only doing stronglifts and no cardio, wouldn't be it too little to fuel my lifts? I can't seem to be full enough with that little calories, how about doing short HIIT cardio to increase my calories too? And is stronglifts good for fat loss, my gym trainer keep insisting to do hypertrophy, but I get too exhausted doing many reps. Do you take any supplements to supprt your strength training while on a deficit/maintenance calories to keep increasing the weights of your lifts? Thanks!
    [/quote]You aren't going to gain muscle and lose fat efficiently at the same time. They are competing goals. Gaining muscle requires a calorie surplus and losing fat requires a deficit. You need to pick which goal is most important. If you wish to lose fat, then accept that muscle gains will likely not occur during that time and that strength will gain will be slow or absent. If you wish to gain muscle understand that even in the perfect environment small gains in fat will occur. The idea is to cycle between these phases throughout the year and your net result will be fat loss and muscle gain but you can't do them both at once. If 10 calories per lb is too little for you try 12 and see what happens. Fat loss will be slower but the diet will likely be more manageable. The trainer at your gym is very misinformed if they think a 5x5 workout will not induce hypertrophy. I wouldn't listen to anything they say as this is a very basic concept. Hypertrophy is not caused by a rep range but is caused by progressive tension overload (lifting more weight over time). As far as supplements for maintaining strength, creatine monohydrate is really the only proven one. 5 gm a day every day no loading dose necessary. You will gain some weight on the scale when you start but its water and not to be worried about.

• NC2001
    NC2001 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm just now starting my weight loss journey, and I was wondering what is a good starting point for meal plans? What do you recommend for meals one should eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I'm 5'7" and 250lbs. I would love to drop down to 175lbs. I already have started working out for the last three weeks doing cardio and some weight training 3x a week. Should I focus on more cardio then weights till I lose more pounds, or just go for an even mix?
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi there! I'm curious what you think about the amount that metabolism plays into weight loss. What I mean by that is we all know people who seem to be able to eat nothing but high-caloric food and tons of it and yet stay really lean, (I'm thinking jealously of a coworker right now), while many of us eat an extra donut and our bodies hold on to it for dear life. I'm exaggerating, of course, but I swear it seems like that sometimes. Other than the fact that life simply isn't fair, what are your thoughts?

(Oh, and sorry if that's already been discussed, I've only made it through page 7 of the thread so far, which is awesome BTW! Thanks so much for having kept it up!!)
  • WorshipHK
    WorshipHK Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    4. Not listening when people say "you lost enough already" or "you are getting too skinny"

This one is so *kitten* annoying. I have many theories why people say this, but I just wish they wouldn't and would just celebrate your successes with you.

AMAZING job on your weight loss btw. You look fantastic :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!