I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on KETO?

He thinks that ultimately only calories matter. He does recommend a minimum fat and protein intake per day based on your weight. Carb grams can fill your extra calories if you have room for them.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

He thinks only calories matter.

While I'm not OP, that seems like a grossly oversimplified statement of his position.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options

He thinks that ultimately only calories matter. He does recommend a minimum fat and protein intake per day based on your weight. Carb grams can fill your extra calories if you have room for them.
    I'm not sure you qualify to respond on the topic of what the OP thinks. Oh wait......I am sure.

Why am I not qualified? Because of what I look like in my avatar?
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Amazing!! Very inspiring! I don't have any questions, just wanted to give props.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I'm not sure you qualify to respond on the topic of what the OP thinks.

Oh wait......I am sure.

It seems to me as a very good summary of what vismal has said over and over again on this thread. Great job Mr. Great Depression
  • RiniSixxx
    RiniSixxx Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When you were overweight, was it a chore to just get out of bed?
  • Red_Nationhtx
    Red_Nationhtx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    wow that's an dramatic change, congrats.

how did u do it what did ur diet consist of?
    what was ur workout routine thanks in advance.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress! :smile: Seeing this thread seriously made me pumped to lose the weight and get to my goals. :)
    Thank you!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If your washing machine breaks can you just do your laundry on your abs?
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    While you are correct in that you do not build lean mass while losing fat, you can however preserve it. Also I could have spent those early days building more strength and perfecting form.

While I don't want to debate your expertise or experience, I don't think the above statement is completely accurate. It would be better to say that building muscle while losing fat is very difficult, but it is not impossible. The phrasing "very difficult" might even understate just how difficult it is, but it can be done.

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_900/988_body-recomposition.html

This is just one article on the subject, there are many, with many different points of view and experience.

I myself have done it to an extent. What you say above is mostly true, in that for the most part I have maintained lean mass rather than adding it. Maintaining your LBM and dropping fat is certainly easier. But I have sometimes made progress in both, provided I stay disciplined, eat right and do everything I should.

And of course congrats on your transformation! I'm pleased to see that you did it with lifting and a compound routine, which is for the most part what I'm doing. I started with lifting however, haven't done much cardio, and continue to make progress. I think you're right that you would've been better overall if you had started with lifting, its good advice. I hope others are paying attention to your experience it sounds like you really figured it out!
  • karabasik
    karabasik Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Amazing job!!! Just wanted to tag OT for Q&As
  • saleni
    saleni Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    woah .. amazing .... i have to loose around 20 kgs ... n i have time till august .. cux dats when my college strts ... n i dont wana b called chubby n stuff... curently m eating 600-700 calories a day ... and jogging on treadmill for half an hour followed by brisk walk for half an hour .. so any further tips or suggestions ? and yeah currently i weigh 73 kgs ....
  • karabasik
    karabasik Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello Vismal! Congratulations once more on your transformation !
    I have a question . I added hit Kickboxing to my routine couple of months ago. It is pretty intense . I am doing it to get healthier (i am 47 yo female at 130 lb). For last three years i walk between 10 and 16 miles 7 days a week. Plus some hiking , jogging , push ups, etc. I do Kickboxing 2-4 times a week
    My question is do i have to take rest days like some people suggest ? If i go 2 or 3 days in a row, does it make a good impact ?
    Thank you I'm advance for your time and willingness to help!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is a poor choice for a diet IMO. As pointed out, you will only lose weight on a KETO diet if you are in a caloric deficit. The size of the deficit determines weight loss. Keto will not cause extra weight loss compared to a normal diet if the deficit is the same. I don't like ANY restrictive diets. Your diet should involve you eating in a manor you can do for the rest of your life. Flexible dieting allows you to eat the food you like in moderation. If you do keto, lose 50 lbs, then switch back to a regular method of eating, I fear the odds of you regaining most or all of your weight lost, are VERY good.
    When you were overweight, was it a chore to just get out of bed?
    Not to get out of bed, no. But many simple things were. Mowing the lawn might as well have been running a marathon. I worked on the 3rd floor of my hospital and entered on the 2nd, I always took the elevator up 1 floor. Simply walking a decent distance would fatigue me. I had much less overall energy, low sex drive, and I slept a lot more then I do now.
    wow that's an dramatic change, congrats.

how did u do it what did ur diet consist of?
    what was ur workout routine thanks in advance.
    I answered this in detail earlier in the thread. The short version is the diet is calorie and macro nutrient counting. Workout routine would be a 5x5 lifting routine.
    If your washing machine breaks can you just do your laundry on your abs?
    Perhaps my favorite question asked in this entire thread!
  • vismal
    Options
    While you are correct in that you do not build lean mass while losing fat, you can however preserve it. Also I could have spent those early days building more strength and perfecting form.

While I don't want to debate your expertise or experience, I don't think the above statement is completely accurate. It would be better to say that building muscle while losing fat is very difficult, but it is not impossible. The phrasing "very difficult" might even understate just how difficult it is, but it can be done.

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_900/988_body-recomposition.html

This is just one article on the subject, there are many, with many different points of view and experience.

I myself have done it to an extent. What you say above is mostly true, in that for the most part I have maintained lean mass rather than adding it. Maintaining your LBM and dropping fat is certainly easier. But I have sometimes made progress in both, provided I stay disciplined, eat right and do everything I should.

And of course congrats on your transformation! I'm pleased to see that you did it with lifting and a compound routine, which is for the most part what I'm doing. I started with lifting however, haven't done much cardio, and continue to make progress. I think you're right that you would've been better overall if you had started with lifting, its good advice. I hope others are paying attention to your experience it sounds like you really figured it out!
    An askmen.com article is hardly a scientific source. It's merely the opinion of the author. I read it over and it's basically about calorie cycling. On paper it looks great, lose fat on rest days gain muscle on workout days. Unfortunately the body doesn't have a fat burn/ muscle gain switch. The body is constantly building and tearing down muscle tissue and it's also constantly storing and burning fat. It will do all those things every day. What make you actually lose fat in the long run is net muscle gain or net fat loss. There simply isn't any research to support the methods the author lays out. I feel 99% of people who think they recomped really just lost fat, gained strength, and got their body fat measured by inaccurate means (calipers, BIA scale, etc). While i'm not saying it's impossible, it's so hard to do really next to no one is going to get the best results going that route. If you goals are health or aesthetic based and you are not relatively lean already there is no reason losing fat should not be your focus. Yes new trainees sometimes build a little muscle when they first start lifting. It's not worth worrying about that though. If you have fat to lose, fat loss should be your goal. If you gain a minuscule amount of muscle along the way, good for you but that shouldn't change the way you approach your goals at all.

Even for people who do pull off a successful recomp, their net results will still likely be inferior to someone who did a bulk cut cycle.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    You said in one of your videos that intermittent fasting was something you found helpful. How much caloric deficiency was there in those 'fasting' days and how often did you do it?
  • vismal
    Options
    woah .. amazing .... i have to loose around 20 kgs ... n i have time till august .. cux dats when my college strts ... n i dont wana b called chubby n stuff... curently m eating 600-700 calories a day ... and jogging on treadmill for half an hour followed by brisk walk for half an hour .. so any further tips or suggestions ? and yeah currently i weigh 73 kgs ....
    Yes, rethink everything. Eating 600-700 calories a day is simply unsustainable and unhealthy even if you were doing no physical activity. You are also doing nothing for maintenance of muscle. I'd read over several of the other questions in this thread and completely overhaul what you are doing..
    Hello Vismal! Congratulations once more on your transformation !
    I have a question . I added hit Kickboxing to my routine couple of months ago. It is pretty intense . I am doing it to get healthier (i am 47 yo female at 130 lb). For last three years i walk between 10 and 16 miles 7 days a week. Plus some hiking , jogging , push ups, etc. I do Kickboxing 2-4 times a week
    My question is do i have to take rest days like some people suggest ? If i go 2 or 3 days in a row, does it make a good impact ?
    Thank you I'm advance for your time and willingness to help!
    I always advocate at least 1 full rest day a week where you either do nothing at all, or keep it to light walking. You are doing a ton of physical activity so you need to pay close attention to how you recover. You also need to be sure you are eating enough to fuel everything you are doing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!