I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• ferdinandthong
    ferdinandthong Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    823p47eljmfr.png

My diary is open please look at it from Jan 10 2015 onward, ignore anything before that because I was not weighting the food. Starting Jan 10 onward i am sure that all the food are 95% accurately tracked because i weight the food. Even it is not accurate i still give a calories allowance which i only eat 1000kcal and below EVERYDAY. I am 5'8'' weight 62kg, as you see the graph has shown that i stop losing weight recently. I dont track my macros as i only want to lose body fat below 10% before i start to bulk up. HELP :'( . I know eating that few calories is not good and my metabolism might slows down, but no matter what it will slow move right?
  • bryce0000
    bryce0000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Can you share your red velvet homemade quest bar recipe? I saw your vid on making the bars and want to make that one it sounds great.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    823p47eljmfr.png

My diary is open please look at it from Jan 10 2015 onward, ignore anything before that because I was not weighting the food. Starting Jan 10 onward i am sure that all the food are 95% accurately tracked because i weight the food. Even it is not accurate i still give a calories allowance which i only eat 1000kcal and below EVERYDAY. I am 5'8'' weight 62kg, as you see the graph has shown that i stop losing weight recently. I dont track my macros as i only want to lose body fat below 10% before i start to bulk up. HELP :'( . I know eating that few calories is not good and my metabolism might slows down, but no matter what it will slow move right?
    What are you trying to cut down to? I don't see any major fat on you. If you are waiting for abs to show, they aren't going to. You haven't developed any kind of muscular base. Getting leaner is not going to improve your physique at all. You should be bulking like yesterday. Also your protein intake is terrible. You are going to lose lean mass as well as fat if you keep on such low calories. You are taller and weigh less then my fiance and eat less then her as well. This is not good. You need to be eating a lot more, lifting, and getting in way more protein. You simply aren't going to be able to cut much more weight off your frame. It's going to be a losing battle. And if you manage to do it, you are going to look sickly, not cut. There is really no reason to continue trying to lose weight at this point. I'd start bulking today. What are your long term goals?
    bryce0000 wrote: »
    Can you share your red velvet homemade quest bar recipe? I saw your vid on making the bars and want to make that one it sounds great.
    The video is the recipe, just substitute red velvet protein powder in for the protein powder. That's all I do.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Congratulations , you look incredible!! ☺️
  • fat_beyonce
    fat_beyonce Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    no questions, just my congratulations, you've made excellent progress from your start weight, well done
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Very impressive!
  • gvj777
    gvj777 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • jmichaelminton
    jmichaelminton Posts: 47 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey,

I'm 22 years old, male, and 5'6". I started losing weight (starting 308 lbs) towards the end of last summer and am now 5-6 months into my weight loss. Currently I'm at 230 lbs and have been losing a steady 1-2 lbs (probably a little closer to 1.5-1.7 lbs/week) weekly despite losing 2-4 lbs weekly (sometimes I'd lose 3-4 lbs in one week and maybe a pound at most other weeks) during my first couple of months of weight loss. I regularly see a dietician every two weeks and track BF% with electrical impedance (currently 35% BF; I was 38% BF early December). I did nothing but consume 1200 kcal/day initially to 2000 kcal/day (1400 kcal after burning 600 kcal from exercise) as per my dietician's advice; up to this point I have only done cardio, but I would like to start strength training a few days of the week as well.

Loose skin is something that I worry about after my weight goal of 140 lbs is reached, which I should reach at the end of the year if not a few months sooner at the rate of weight loss I am currently experiencing (1-2 lbs/week). I've been overweight (50-70 lbs) for much of my life (since 9 years of age), but I lost from 205 to 145 lbs when I was 16 without doing any strength training and doing a crash diet over an entire summer with lots of cardio. I remember looking very skinny in clothes but still having a little bit of moobs and lower belly fat afterwards (which looked a little flabby and was embarrassing). After gaining that weight back throughout the rest of high school and throughout college to get to a maximum weight of 308 lbs, I got fed up and decided to take care of myself once and for all the healthy way. I realized it was stupid to do a crash diet without any lifting (felt very weak after that from muscle loss).

Anyway, my question is this: If I add strength training in addition to my cardio at this point (again 5-6 mos. into my journey) do you think I have much to worry about in terms of "flabiness"/loose skin once I reach my goal weight? I plan to bulk up at that point in order to look "toned." I'd also like to think my experience as a teenager was due to my extremely rapid weight loss (often would lose 0.5-1.0 lb/DAY) combined with lack of strength training of any sort (just pure cardio) as being my problem back then. Thanks!

P.S. I forgot to mention that I have been doing the whole exfoliation/moisturizing thing as well because I heard it helps some. LOL
  • thedomesticmum
    thedomesticmum Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Congratulations, that's an amazing transformation. What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?
    1. Myfitnesspal of course. It wasn't until I began tracking my intake that my success really started to take off
    2. Understanding that "eating clean" is meaningless and that in order to have true life long success I had to eat foods I enjoyed (ice cream, cookies, etc) on a regular basis but in moderation
    3. Lifting heavy weights
    4. Not listening when people say "you lost enough already" or "you are getting too skinny"
    5. Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible. There is more pseudoscience and myths in this field then any other on earth! So much BS to cut through to find the truth.

I am only at this point in your thread but thank you so much for posting!!
    It is amazing that you about #4. I lost a lot of weight years ago and a few people close to mw kept saying "you're getting too skinny, you dont need to lose anymore, etc". It's amazing how destructive that was...I ended up right back in my old habits :neutral_face:
    I will have to take a look at your dairy for some inspiration.
    Keep up the great work!!
  • mudkings
    mudkings Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your lifestyle change. Very inspirational. I started at about the same weight and am a work in progress now.looks like I need to hit gym. Lol
  • che0407
    che0407 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats mate!! Awesome Transformation!

Can i ask if you had/have any issues with your butt? lol (your the first guy i have asked that) I'm at a point now where i need to bulk as i look skinny fat and need to fill in where i have loose skin issues. One major part seems to be my love handles and butt. Because of poor posture i have very little glute muscle and im hoping by working on this it will help. Its almost like someone super imposed a saggy *kitten* onto my pictures lol.
    Just wondering if you had any ideas or you experienced this?

Cheers

Top inspirational post by far!!
  • vismal
    Options
    Hey,

I'm 22 years old, male, and 5'6". I started losing weight (starting 308 lbs) towards the end of last summer and am now 5-6 months into my weight loss. Currently I'm at 230 lbs and have been losing a steady 1-2 lbs (probably a little closer to 1.5-1.7 lbs/week) weekly despite losing 2-4 lbs weekly (sometimes I'd lose 3-4 lbs in one week and maybe a pound at most other weeks) during my first couple of months of weight loss. I regularly see a dietician every two weeks and track BF% with electrical impedance (currently 35% BF; I was 38% BF early December). I did nothing but consume 1200 kcal/day initially to 2000 kcal/day (1400 kcal after burning 600 kcal from exercise) as per my dietician's advice; up to this point I have only done cardio, but I would like to start strength training a few days of the week as well.

Loose skin is something that I worry about after my weight goal of 140 lbs is reached, which I should reach at the end of the year if not a few months sooner at the rate of weight loss I am currently experiencing (1-2 lbs/week). I've been overweight (50-70 lbs) for much of my life (since 9 years of age), but I lost from 205 to 145 lbs when I was 16 without doing any strength training and doing a crash diet over an entire summer with lots of cardio. I remember looking very skinny in clothes but still having a little bit of moobs and lower belly fat afterwards (which looked a little flabby and was embarrassing). After gaining that weight back throughout the rest of high school and throughout college to get to a maximum weight of 308 lbs, I got fed up and decided to take care of myself once and for all the healthy way. I realized it was stupid to do a crash diet without any lifting (felt very weak after that from muscle loss).

Anyway, my question is this: If I add strength training in addition to my cardio at this point (again 5-6 mos. into my journey) do you think I have much to worry about in terms of "flabiness"/loose skin once I reach my goal weight? I plan to bulk up at that point in order to look "toned." I'd also like to think my experience as a teenager was due to my extremely rapid weight loss (often would lose 0.5-1.0 lb/DAY) combined with lack of strength training of any sort (just pure cardio) as being my problem back then. Thanks!

P.S. I forgot to mention that I have been doing the whole exfoliation/moisturizing thing as well because I heard it helps some. LOL
    Check back to page 24. I posted a video that discusses loose skin.
    che0407 wrote: »
    Congrats mate!! Awesome Transformation!

Can i ask if you had/have any issues with your butt? lol (your the first guy i have asked that) I'm at a point now where i need to bulk as i look skinny fat and need to fill in where i have loose skin issues. One major part seems to be my love handles and butt. Because of poor posture i have very little glute muscle and im hoping by working on this it will help. Its almost like someone super imposed a saggy *kitten* onto my pictures lol.
    Just wondering if you had any ideas or you experienced this?

Cheers

Top inspirational post by far!!
    My butt was never an issue. When I was fat it was big and when I lost weight, I held on to plenty of muscle in that area. Squats and deadlifts help tremendously. Genetics are also a big part. You must do your leg exercises with proper form to really hit the glutes correctly. If you are not squatting deep enough, you will not get a lot of activation from your glutes. Most beginners don't squat anywhere close to low enough so don't be afraid to go *kitten* to grass :) The same goes for lunges, you've got to go LOW.

• juliabereza
    juliabereza Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You are a true inspiration!! Share your journey more with people; it will give them hope and confidence!
  • carolturnerkids
    Options
    How did you make it without getting loose skin? Really worrying about this.
  • vismal
    Options
    How did you make it without getting loose skin? Really worrying about this.
    I posted a video about that on page 24

• conangt87
    conangt87 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    NIOCE!!!!!!!!!
  • laureenk8
    laureenk8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    very nice, no saggy skin great, have you got any more clearer pictures of your face when you were 315lbs?
  • Starlite984
    Starlite984 Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Awesome job what a great accomplishment way to go
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi vismal, I started in September 2014 I've lost 40.3 lbs by running and counting calories. I would still like to lose 30lbs to be on the high side of ' healthy' for my height. I'm 5'3 and 172 right now. I use the method TDEE, my calorie goal is 1750 but I normally eat between 1500-1650 calories a day. I run 4 times a week and strength train 2 times a week. I only started strength at the end of November. I noticed my losses slowed in December(4 lbs loss) and January(4.4lbs loss). I know the closer you get to your goal the slower it gets. My questions, is a lbs a week a good goal for having 30lbs to go? Should I lower my calorie intake to try and lose more weekly? Is there something else I should be doing to keep my losses going?? Thank you!
  • vismal
    Options
    laureenk8 wrote: »
    very nice, no saggy skin great, have you got any more clearer pictures of your face when you were 315lbs?
    I do but not on my computer. Not sure why you want to see pictures of my fat-face...lol?
    dyemysoul wrote: »
    Hi vismal, I started in September 2014 I've lost 40.3 lbs by running and counting calories. I would still like to lose 30lbs to be on the high side of ' healthy' for my height. I'm 5'3 and 172 right now. I use the method TDEE, my calorie goal is 1750 but I normally eat between 1500-1650 calories a day. I run 4 times a week and strength train 2 times a week. I only started strength at the end of November. I noticed my losses slowed in December(4 lbs loss) and January(4.4lbs loss). I know the closer you get to your goal the slower it gets. My questions, is a lbs a week a good goal for having 30lbs to go? Should I lower my calorie intake to try and lose more weekly? Is there something else I should be doing to keep my losses going?? Thank you!
    For your goal, a lb a week is a perfect rate of loss. You may even find that as you get within 5-10 lbs of your goal, you'll have to slow even further to 2-3 lbs a month.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!