Replies

• ellochka5
    ellochka5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks Vismal!!
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to gain muscle while in a calorie deficit? Sorry if this has already been asked.
  • watkins1980
    watkins1980 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Any advice for me who has to lose 150 lbs to goal and was wondering if i should immediately start working out, and if i should skip cardio and just do weights?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    cm_rosa wrote: »
    Just wanted to give you a shout out for an awesome job on taking back control of your life! I too have done this--lost 117lbs & still counting. My question is how do you stay motivated to working out?? I walk every day & take the stairs at work (4th floor). I have a dreadmill at home--oops...I mean treadmill ☺️. I have a hard time sticking to something because I get bored. Any advise to help with this??
    It seems you aren't very fond of using the treadmill. Neither am I! Infact, I loathe walking or running on a treadmill. The key is to find some area of fitness you genuinely enjoy. I love weight lifting. I get to set strength goals and constantly progress with the weights over time. For cardio, I enjoy hiking. While I can only do that so many months out of the year in Ohio, it requires little motivation because it's an activity I enjoy. When someone says they don't enjoy any type of physical activity, to me, that person simply hasn't tried enough different activities. There's a million and one ways to stay fit, find one or two you love and motivation won't be a problem.

• vismal
    Options
    mfm143 wrote: »
    Is it possible to gain muscle while in a calorie deficit? Sorry if this has already been asked.
    This is a very simple question with a somewhat complex answer. For the majority of people, the answer is no. The body requires excess fuel in order to build muscle. If you are in a caloric deficit, the body uses stored fuel (some of which is fat) for energy. Unfortunately, the body is far too efficient to both use fuel for the creation of muscle whilst using fat for energy. If this was the case, a little weight lifting and a little cardio and everyone would look like a bodybuilder. While that sounds great, from an evolutionary perspective, it's terrible. In times of famine the body does not want to waste precious energy on building unnecessary muscle. Now this is all in regards to net creation of muscle and loss of fat. The body constantly is building up and breaking down muscles, as well as burning and storing fat, but all we really care about is net gains and losses.

Now there are some exceptions. Those going through puberty have a hormonal advantage geared towards growth. For teens, some fat loss along with simultaneous muscle gain is quite common. This is why, unless they are overweight/obese, I almost never recommend a teenager specifically do a fat loss phase. They can lose fat staying around maintenance and put on muscle as well. People who use PEDs are similar to teens. They have a hormonal advantage geared towards growth. They can certainly put on muscle and lose fat simultaneously. Those new to weightlifting can do both for a brief period of time. Depending on genetics, some can do it more efficiently than others. This lasts anywhere from about 6 months to a year, and even in this case, the muscle gains are not dramatic. There is more potential for muscle gain if the new lifter is obese as the body has quite an excess of fat stored for fuel. Finally, there are the genetic freaks of nature. They might as well be on PEDs because their bodies perform as if they are. There is no use using them as a reference point for anything because to the vast majority of people, they simply produce results we are not capable of.

This is why for almost all people, it is FAR FAR more efficient to choose one goal or another. While some people with average genetics can do a recomp diet and over the course of time lose a little bit of fat and gain a little bit of muscle, it would have been much more efficient for them to focus on a muscle gaining phase followed by a fat loss phase. The net fat loss and muscle gain would be greater.

So the TL/DR of this is no, unless they are a teen, on drugs, a new lifter, or a genetic freak.
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for such a detailed answer - I have been on my journey close to 7 mo now and I have been doing ICF at a 1800 cal /day rate - I didn't really see super gains but have lost about 13 lbs so far - I've taken a break for about 3 mo now as had some life stresses to deal with I am in the middle of moving do with no workouts I dropped my dal/cals to 1700- but plan to get back going in March, will up to 1800 again and since I am not at my calorie goal - (have about 30-40lbs to go)- should I continue with ICF x5 and light cardio x2 until I reach my calorie goal than go into maintainece and slowly up my calories and focus on more weight lifting to build muscle? TIA
  • Sredster
    Sredster Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No Questions here. I just want to say HOLY CRAP! You are a true inspiration! You look fantastic! I hope I can have a transformation as amazing as yours!
  • Horsepital
    Horsepital Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Vismal, thank you for the keeping up this post, it's been very informative.

I've been working out with a trainer for the last few months. It's been very helpful in motivating me to get in to the gym, but it's not something I can continue to afford. I am planning on starting Strong Lifts next week, and I'm having trouble deciding what weight I should start with. On his site, he suggests that beginners start with the bar, but that seems too light considering I've already been working out. Today I did 3X10 sets of 95lbs bench press for instance. I think my form is pretty good on all of the exercises involved with strong lifts, thanks to my trainer.

I am a male, 5'8", 195lbs, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!
  • saralthrash
    saralthrash Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to lose 50 lbs. I really need to lose 90 to be in the "normal range." Anyway I've been lifting and I was wondering about how much of an impact heavy lifting would have on the way my body looks and my overall weight loss. As of now I bench about 70lbs and squat only 100lbs. I want to lift heavier but I'm nervous lol Do you feel like lifting heavy improved your losses or do you credit it mostly to diet? And when lifting heavy for weight loss do you still eat a large deficit? I'm curious because I've read that in order to build muscle you have to eat more.
  • vismal
    Options
    mfm143 wrote: »
    Thanks for such a detailed answer - I have been on my journey close to 7 mo now and I have been doing ICF at a 1800 cal /day rate - I didn't really see super gains but have lost about 13 lbs so far - I've taken a break for about 3 mo now as had some life stresses to deal with I am in the middle of moving do with no workouts I dropped my dal/cals to 1700- but plan to get back going in March, will up to 1800 again and since I am not at my calorie goal - (have about 30-40lbs to go)- should I continue with ICF x5 and light cardio x2 until I reach my calorie goal than go into maintainece and slowly up my calories and focus on more weight lifting to build muscle? TIA
    There is really no need to get away from the 5x5 until you stop progressing. Once you are no longer able to lift heavier weights, you either need to increase calories, or use a less linear program. Most people can stick with a 5x5 for a year. If you've been in a deficit the whole time, when you switch to a surplus, you generally start progressing again even if you had stalled.
    Sredster wrote: »
    No Questions here. I just want to say HOLY CRAP! You are a true inspiration! You look fantastic! I hope I can have a transformation as amazing as yours!
    Your profile makes it look like you've already made quite the transformation yourself! You look great as well!

• vismal
    Options
    Horsepital wrote: »
    Hi Vismal, thank you for the keeping up this post, it's been very informative.

I've been working out with a trainer for the last few months. It's been very helpful in motivating me to get in to the gym, but it's not something I can continue to afford. I am planning on starting Strong Lifts next week, and I'm having trouble deciding what weight I should start with. On his site, he suggests that beginners start with the bar, but that seems too light considering I've already been working out. Today I did 3X10 sets of 95lbs bench press for instance. I think my form is pretty good on all of the exercises involved with strong lifts, thanks to my trainer.

I am a male, 5'8", 195lbs, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!
    Starting weight isn't very important. Just pick a weight where you can complete all 5 reps of all 5 sets with good form. The first week shouldn't be "easy" but you also shouldn't have to grind to hard to get your reps in. Because the program is built around progression, you'll constantly be adding weight each week until it becomes difficult. If you are doing 95 for 3x10, you can probably do a little more for 5x5, but you could even start at 95 if you want.
    I've been wanting to lose 50 lbs. I really need to lose 90 to be in the "normal range." Anyway I've been lifting and I was wondering about how much of an impact heavy lifting would have on the way my body looks and my overall weight loss. As of now I bench about 70lbs and squat only 100lbs. I want to lift heavier but I'm nervous lol Do you feel like lifting heavy improved your losses or do you credit it mostly to diet? And when lifting heavy for weight loss do you still eat a large deficit? I'm curious because I've read that in order to build muscle you have to eat more.
    Lifting will greatly impact how you look once the weight is lost. You will not really lose weight any faster from lifting as it doesn't burn all that many calories, nor will you gain much muscle while in a deficit, but lifting does help your body preserve lean tissue while you lose weight. For this reason alone it is extremely impactful on how you look in the end. Diet will still be the main factor with regards to fat loss, but lifting IMO is still extremely important.

• swtroughear
    swtroughear Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i can only hope my cut this year is as successful as yours! brilliant progress man
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    As for the type of lifting, I did it wrong at first by doing a typical "bro split" where you do a body part a day with high reps and low weight. I later switched to 5x5 training which is what I would have started with day 1 if I had to go back and do it again.

Why do you think 5x5 was better for you than the "bro-Split"?
  • vismal
    Options
    As for the type of lifting, I did it wrong at first by doing a typical "bro split" where you do a body part a day with high reps and low weight. I later switched to 5x5 training which is what I would have started with day 1 if I had to go back and do it again.

Why do you think 5x5 was better for you than the "bro-Split"?

Training a muscle increases protein synthesis in that muscle. This lasts in natural athletes for up to 48 hours. Therefor, training each body part 2-3 times a week is most effective. "Bro-splits" came about at around the same time PEDs became synonymous with bodybuilding. Drug enhanced athletes have a much longer period of increased protein synthesis, additionally their recovery is such that they can train a muscle much harder before achieving fatigue. This allows for a single body part a day to be trained with great results. As is with many aspects of bodybuilding be it training, nutrition, supplements, etc it is often portrayed as what is appropriate for enhanced athletes is also appropriate for natural athletes. This is NOT true. Professional bodybuilders are typically not good sources of information for those training naturally.
  • michellenella7
    michellenella7 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing X
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    @vismal Hi, was directed here by someone after I posted about being frustrated/bored with weight lifting. In 2012 I did a crazy amount of cardio, about 2-3 hours a day, 7 days a week. Ate very little, did minimal weight lifting after cardio and with all of that I got down from over 15 stone in January to below 10 stone in November. In 2013 I got more into weights and drastically cut back the cardio, put on a little bit of muscle later that year and got to about 10 stone 7 lbs. But since then I've sort of stalled, diet adherence has been hit or miss where I've done a lot of compensating for over eating just to remain below 11 stone. Strength gains have been minimal, I'm a horribly weak on upper body movements. Right now I am (I think) about 17-20% bodyfat which I've been led to believe is not great for going on a bulk. But I'm completely bored and frustrated with cutting and stalling with lifts but still feeling like I need to cut. I guess I was wondering what you would do in my position?
  • solocash
    solocash Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You sound like you are doing great to me
  • vismal
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    @vismal Hi, was directed here by someone after I posted about being frustrated/bored with weight lifting. In 2012 I did a crazy amount of cardio, about 2-3 hours a day, 7 days a week. Ate very little, did minimal weight lifting after cardio and with all of that I got down from over 15 stone in January to below 10 stone in November. In 2013 I got more into weights and drastically cut back the cardio, put on a little bit of muscle later that year and got to about 10 stone 7 lbs. But since then I've sort of stalled, diet adherence has been hit or miss where I've done a lot of compensating for over eating just to remain below 11 stone. Strength gains have been minimal, I'm a horribly weak on upper body movements. Right now I am (I think) about 17-20% bodyfat which I've been led to believe is not great for going on a bulk. But I'm completely bored and frustrated with cutting and stalling with lifts but still feeling like I need to cut. I guess I was wondering what you would do in my position?
    My entire answer would be contingent on what your goals are. I'm happy to give you my opinion if you can fill me in on your ultimate goals.
  • justinelouise10
    justinelouise10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Did you follow macros or just nutrition on this app? Confused and want to loose water and fat and tone up and strengthen muscles.any tips on all ?
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    My entire answer would be contingent on what your goals are. I'm happy to give you my opinion if you can fill me in on your ultimate goals.

@vismal My goal is to lose fat. After that I want to put on muscle, strength and improve performance.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!