Dizzy Spells and Head Rushes

Options
I realize this may or may not be exercise or nutrition related but I thought I would ask any way.
For the past 3 days I have been having head rushes and dizzy spells. If I am not careful and turn my head too quickly, I black out. When I try to sleep the room spins. I am afraid to drive or do any weight training.

I dont understand why this is happening! I eat a very healthy balanced diet of mostly vegetables and lean meats (1200 calories /day) and I am currently doing P90x (I just completed week 3). This is NOT normal for me, I havent felt this way EVER and its not as though I am vomiting or showing other signs of illness.

If anyone has any idea what could be going on, please let me know. After 3 days of this (and missing my weight workouts) I need to know what is up.
Thanks!
Natalee

Replies

• potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If this persists you should see a doctor. You may have an inner ear problem.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Orthostatic hypotension, also known as postural hypotension, orthostasis, and colloquially as head rush or a dizzy spell, is a form of hypotension in which a person's blood pressure suddenly falls when the person stands up. The decrease is typically greater than 20/10 mm Hg, and may be most pronounced after resting. The incidence increases with age.

Signs and symptoms
    Symptoms, which generally occur after sudden standing or stretching (after standing), include dizziness, euphoria, bodily dissociation, distortions in hearing, lightheadedness, nausea, headache, blurred or dimmed vision (possibly to the point of momentary blindness), generalized (or extremity) numbness/tingling and fainting, coat hanger pain (pain centered in the neck and shoulders), and in rare, extreme cases, vasovagal syncope (a specific type of fainting.) They are consequences of insufficient blood pressure and cerebral perfusion (blood supply). Occasionally, there may be a feeling of warmth in the head and shoulders for a few seconds after the dizziness subsides.

Causes
    Orthostatic hypotension is primarily caused by gravity-induced blood pooling in the lower extremities, which in turn compromises venous return, resulting in decreased cardiac output and subsequent lowering of arterial pressure. For example, if a person changes from a lying position to standing, he or she will lose about 700 ml of blood from the thorax. It can also be noted that there is a decreased systolic (contracting) blood pressure and a decreased diastolic (resting) blood pressure. The overall effect is an insufficient blood perfusion in the upper part of the body.

Still, the blood pressure does not normally fall very much, because it immediately triggers a vasoconstriction (baroreceptor reflex), pressing the blood up into the body again. Therefore, a secondary factor that causes a greater than normal fall in blood pressure is often required. Such factors include hypovolemia, diseases, medications, or, very rarely, safety harnesses.
  • jessyjade22
    Options
    Try going up on your calories for a couple days. Even if you are eating the way you should your body may have hit a point where its using a higher percentage of carbs than before which could cause the dizzy spells. I know when I have cuts carbs all together for a couple days I get dizzy for a bit till I get more energy so maybe this is what is happening to you?
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    please see a doctor right away.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    If you're doing P90X, the recommended calories are way higher than 1200 per day. You may want to bump up your calories. It could be a simple as you are not eating enough.

That being said, I also second going to a Dr.
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor. I get those symptoms when my allergies get bad and when I get ear infections.
  • I realize this may or may not be exercise or nutrition related but I thought I would ask any way.
    For the past 3 days I have been having head rushes and dizzy spells. If I am not careful and turn my head too quickly, I black out. When I try to sleep the room spins. I am afraid to drive or do any weight training.

I dont understand why this is happening! I eat a very healthy balanced diet of mostly vegetables and lean meats (1200 calories /day) and I am currently doing P90x (I just completed week 3). This is NOT normal for me, I havent felt this way EVER and its not as though I am vomiting or showing other signs of illness.

If anyone has any idea what could be going on, please let me know. After 3 days of this (and missing my weight workouts) I need to know what is up.
    Thanks!

There are many reasons that this might be occurring, but the one piece of advice that I can assuredly give you ... Don't take advice from people here unless that advice and information are to go see a Dr. Even if you were lucky enough to stumble on a Dr in this Forum, and he/she were to give you advice ... Diagnoses online isn't to be trusted. Go see your Dr., and in the meantime I'd stop the exercising.
    Natalee

There are many reasons that this might be occurring, but the one piece of advice that I can assuredly give you ... Don't take advice from people here unless that advice and information are to go see a Dr. Even if you were lucky enough to stumble on a Dr in this Forum, and he/she were to give you advice ... Diagnoses online isn't to be trusted. Go see your Dr., and in the meantime I'd stop the exercising.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing about a month ago....it lasted a week! It was awful!!! I ended up having fluid in my ears which was affecting my balance. Try taking a decongestant and talk to your dr. It may be an ear infection or something else. Good luck and I hope it goes away soon!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've had stuff like that and my advice is to go see a doctor. Seriously. Today. I hope it is something minor and you're feeling better soon!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I've had the problems you describe since I was 11. I fainted when I walked down the stairs at school. The doctor put my on thyroid medicine after that and I've taken it ever since (40+ years). I still get dizzy, where things start to black out, but I can feel it come on and sit down. Have been told to always sit for a minute or two before standing when getting out of bed. I would definitely go to a doctor and get it checked out. It may be something serious or it could be a dietary thing such as anemia. Either way, it's always best to know what you're dealing with. Good Luck
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    Another vote for seeing a doctor ASAP
  • njjacob
    Options
    wow that one guy scared the crap outta me. I get it all the time too. I would see my doctor. But mine is my sugar level.. watch what your eating, we all need sugar but if your watching your diet you might be watching it too much. I had to change up my diet to go around my hypoglycemia.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    If the room is spinning when you get up from lying down or when you turn your head, that sounds like vertigo to me. I get it occasionally, and it's not a lot of fun. Usually, it will be worse on one side. Try lying down on your left side, then sit up quickly. Then try the other side. If there's a noticeable difference, my money is definitely on vertigo. There are exercise you can do that help it go away sooner than it would on its own:
    http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/disorders/bppv/bppv.html

That said, I agree with the others who said you need to eat considerably more than 1,200 calories if you're doing P90X. :smile:

Good luck, and I hope you get over the dizzies soon!
  • abcollins1355
    Options
    It sounds like you are not eating enough calories.
    You dont have your height and weight on here, but 1200 sounds too low for you.

To give you a reference, I am 4'10 115 and i eat 1500 cals a day (and that is for weight loss my normal is about 2000), you are probably taller than me so 1200 would be too low.

I would up your calories, make sure you are getting enough protein (as too low protein can also cause dizziness) and see how you feel.

I have noticed that this site underestimates calories for individuals.

If upping calories does not work, then please see your doctor.

But typically when i see this, it is simply another person who is cutting calories too low (you would not believe how many times a week i see this at the gym where I work).
  • PhoenixAMG
    Options
    I used to have these exact symptoms and saw an electrophysiologist, or cardiologist who deals specifically with the rhythm of the heart and not just the physical heart itself. They did a tilt-table test and I was diagnosed with vasovegal syncope. This is when sometimes the blood does not circulate correctly and pools in the lower half of your body and your blood pressure drops. It can cause fainting spells, dizziness, head rushes. Definitely see a cardiologist because every other doctor I saw before that said it was anxiety attacks and they were horribly wrong and did not believe me when I tried to tell them it wasn't true. I walked around for months thinking I was going crazy until I found the right doctor and got the correct diagnosis.

The condition itself is not life threatening or serious, but it needs to be controlled. You can black out while driving or faint and hit your head and that will definitely be dangerous. PLEASE see a doctor and if you aren't satisfied with what they tell you see a cardiologist and ask specifically for a tilt-table test. I really hopes this helps and that you get better.
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The dizzy spells seemed to pass yesterday afternoon. At least I havent had one since about 1 p.m. yesterday. I know I need to increase my calorie intake, 1200 is what I average even though I am set to about 1500 per day. I am waiting it out today to see if they are going to come back before I make a drs appointment. I live in a small town, and it takes weeks to get in to see a dr with an appointment. Thank you everyone for your concern and suggestions :)
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It could be low blood sugar, low blood pressure, dehydration, or you could just have a stomach bug.
  • DeepSeaDoc_Wife
    DeepSeaDoc_Wife Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The dizzy spells seemed to pass yesterday afternoon. At least I havent had one since about 1 p.m. yesterday. I know I need to increase my calorie intake, 1200 is what I average even though I am set to about 1500 per day. I am waiting it out today to see if they are going to come back before I make a drs appointment. I live in a small town, and it takes weeks to get in to see a dr with an appointment. Thank you everyone for your concern and suggestions :)

To be honest it sounds like you may be anemic. Low iron levels. How are you on eating red meat and dark greens? Do you seem to bruise a lot and really not know why or how that bruise got there? Are you fatigued and sluggish more so than normal? Weak? Also I know this is tmi but menstrual periods can make symptoms more pronounced.
  • RCasablancas
    Options
    I agree with Amarillo_NDN.I did P90X in 2009,and am doing it again now in 2011.I am on my second month,Legs routine,right before rest week.Tonight,at the end,I was doing the pigeon stretch.As I stood up,I become faint and felt a bit out of body.So I paused to regain my composer.Then it occurred to me,this exact thing happened to me in 2009,same stretch,same workout.I attribute it to standing up to quickly and having a rush of blood to or from the brain.It is a strange sensation.So next time I will remember to take my time coming to my feet.My experience tonight caused me to google it and hence I came upon your post.Admittedly I am a bit late chiming in and no doubt your problem has ceased to occur by now :)