Has anyone...

Options
So im using my app everyday and logging everything and so far so good! Im easily beating my recommended goal on mfp on calorie intake, now im wondering, have any of you 'done well' and not gained as much as you'd hoped/expected through something like fast metabolism?
I do believe i have a faster than average as im not a bad eater... And not an overly active person & still like a stick lol but also genes play a part for me as from my mum and siblings were were slim until late 20's

Whats your thoughts?

Replies

• rf1583
    rf1583 Posts: 65
    Options
    Are you actually gaining weight? Even though you say you are beating the recommended calorie intake from my fitness pal, that doesn't mean you are actually eating in a high enough surplus to gain weight. Other than my heavy lifting 3 days a week I'm not overly active either due to a sedentary job and what I actually needed to eat in the proper surplus to gain slowly is much higher than what my fitness all told me. It sounds like you need to just eat more.
  • zoemchristopher
    zoemchristopher Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I only started this a couple of days ago, so its very early days. Although in just a few days I already feel a lot fuller and feel I will make progress better than what Ive ever tried in the past without a calorie counter.
    Im taking in on average around 2300 calories, Im 98lbs and 5''6
    I just worry about the reason why I haven't gained weight in the past easily
  • rf1583
    rf1583 Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and was 98lbs also. I never gained weight easily my while life and I've discovered it was because I just wasn't eating enough calories consistently to gain. Since you just started, give it some time. If you truly are eating in a surplus you will gain weight.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I had to jigger my calories up by about 100 from the calculated amount to gain consistently and then had to add another 50 about nine weeks later.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I lost 6lbs in March by eating 3500+ a day. It happens, especially if your activity level is really high. Just adjust your intake to compensate.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Sure some people have a higher metabolism than others but not so much that they cannot gain weight. If you're sure you are logging your food and exercise accurately and consistently and you aren't gaining then you will just need to up your calories some, that's all. BMR is normally pretty accurate for most people though...
  • likitisplit
    Options
    BMR is accurate (it only underestimates mine by 100 kcals) unless there is a history of eating disorder
  • zoemchristopher
    Options
    Oh good, im still new to all this, just been having a read, my goal is 2010 but on average im taking in 2500 roughly so im happy with that , got to gain something!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and roughly 175 pounds. My maintenance calories are 2050 and I was gaining a pound a week at 2500 or 2600 calories a day.
  • marieuramaynard
    Options
    Have you tried drinking ensure in between.meals.
    Or whey protein drink it will help you gain faster weight.
    But make sure once you get to your desired weight that you work
    Out too.
  • zoemchristopher
    Options
    Yeah im doing little strength exercises also, i'll do this around 3x a week, i have actually got some weight gain shakes here but havent touched it for a while i might try and add that to my diet although that might be difficult considering how much im already eating...
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I actually am doing the same as you and I think patience along with a good, dense caloric surplus is what is working best for me at the moment.

I've been cooking everything in coconut oil, mashing my potatoes/sweet potatoes with coconut butter (SO GOOD!) or peanut butter. Pretty much adding caloric-dense but not super filling foods to each meal and I find that I don't get TOO uncomfortable and bloated :)

Can't wait to see and hear about your progress! Best of luck xo!
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking ensure in between.meals.
    Or whey protein drink it will help you gain faster weight.
    But make sure once you get to your desired weight that you work
    Out too.

This too - if you make smoothies/shakes its pretty easy to add in another scoop of protein powder or a nut butter.