Self-scan checkout lanes

Options
13»

Replies

• kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I work on self scan machines in a supermarket and people are useless on them. I don't know how many coins I have to hook out on the note slot and the notes I have to take out of the coupons part! (when it is all clearly labelled!)
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    The ones around here break every 4 customers it seems. I refuse to use them as they put people out of work.

They don't put people out of work. Do you think they just appeared out of thin air? Someone built them. It was a redistribution of workers, not a loss.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Having to prove age when buying Nyquil. 'nuff said.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

You should be asking for the behind the pharmacy counter version anyway. It's the original version before they had to change it due to meth makers. The stuff on the shelves with all the other OTC cold medicine is missing the best ingredient.
  • Sinisterly
    Options

You should be asking for the behind the pharmacy counter version anyway. It's the original version before they had to change it due to meth makers. The stuff on the shelves with all the other OTC cold medicine is missing the best ingredient.
    What's this "best ingredient" you speak of? :huh:
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

pseudoephedrine
  • Sinisterly
    Options

pseudoephedrine
    -want-
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you are buying alcohol or cigarettes, please go to a cashier lane if one is available. You by definition are not self-checkout.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I love them, especially at costco where the lines for the cashiers are always ridiculous. We need an age limit on them in South Florida though, say 40 and under only. There's nothing worse than watching grandma in front of you take 9 tries trying to scan each item. I've taken to jumping in and expediting the old folks, I consider it community service...

Ha ha, my grandma would knock you on your behind if you tried this with her! I really think it is a disservice to assume all seniors are inept at electronics. My grandma has a smart phone (and knows how to use it), a laptop (she is the best at google searches), and a tablet (because she hates not having anything to do while waiting at appointments) and a Kindle. So please do not assume that all "old folk" are in need of your help!
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The problem with self-checkout is all the theft detection features they tried to build in, particularly the scale. It slows the machines down, makes them misread what you put in them, require attendant intervention (from an attendant who often is not present) if you bring your own bags or have something too big to fit on the scale, etc. Throw in stupidity like failure to put machine readable stickers on produce (which has stickers, just not ones the machine can read) and you have a disaster.

Now I prefer the machines because 90% of the time I don't see a human cashier adding any value to the transaction. And I'm not going to pay people just for being there. It's like the Soviet Union paying elevator operators to push the button for you long after automatic elevators came into existence just as a make work thing. I oppose that. If someone adds value I'm very happy to have them around and to pay for that value, but most of the time this isn't the case. That said, I choose the machines over the cashiers because the lines are generally shorter not because I don't want the human interaction.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I use them because I can bring my own bag and load it all to hell without care or concern as to whether those items "belong" in the bag together. As nutty as it drives me when inept people try to use them, the cashier lanes where they only load two items per bag and double bag my milk which already HAS a handle no matter how many times I tell them to just cram everything in to my extra large bag I brought from home, THAT will drive me strait up a wall.
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Self checkout is evil. Eventually, the stores will be nothing but self checkout and all those jobs will disappear. Replaced by robots. Yay.

Nothing wrong with that, someone still has to maintain, repair and service them. Machine's shift jobs, they don't necessarily replace them.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I love them, especially at costco where the lines for the cashiers are always ridiculous. We need an age limit on them in South Florida though, say 40 and under only. There's nothing worse than watching grandma in front of you take 9 tries trying to scan each item. I've taken to jumping in and expediting the old folks, I consider it community service...

Ha ha, my grandma would knock you on your behind if you tried this with her! I really think it is a disservice to assume all seniors are inept at electronics. My grandma has a smart phone (and knows how to use it), a laptop (she is the best at google searches), and a tablet (because she hates not having anything to do while waiting at appointments) and a Kindle. So please do not assume that all "old folk" are in need of your help!

It's not an assumption, it's an observation, and of course there are exceptions. I live in south Florida which is also known as god's waiting room so believe me it's very common here. Anyways if your grandma would really hit somebody trying to help her she's should google anger management and get some help.
    image.jpg
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I use them when I have no makeup on, hair in a ponytail and rocking sweats. I don't have to actually talk to anyone then!:laugh:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I used one today, and yes, no make-up, hair cannot get in a ponytail, and I only said hi to the little old lady who flipped me off!