Circuit training debilitating DOMS

Options
sauci
sauci Posts: 94 Member
I went to circuits (legs) on Wednesday I really enjoyed it but I have been unable to walk properly since. :sad: I had to slide down the stairs on my bum because my legs were to weak to descend properly:noway: . I normally run 5-7 k 3 times a week, swim twice a week and do some body weight exercises like squats every few days but I haven't done anything since. I'm really surprised how bad it has been. I was tired before the class and my TOM do you think that this has any bearing on the severity? Any tips for prevention or cure? Do you think it will as bad next week? I don't want my normal routine to suffer because of this but I was clearly challenged and my competitive streak makes me want to go back? Any advice?:ohwell:

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the fact that you were tired before had an impact but I always stretch thoroughly after lifting, do a bit of foam rolling right after stretching as well as in the evening before bed. I also find that walking at a leisurely pace helps to tone them down.
  • sauci
    Options
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It will get better the more you do the workout, so don't be afraid to do it again once you heal.

I highly recommend taking some time to go for a walk and get your legs moving more. It will hurt at first, but it'll feel great after a while.

If it's really bad, take an ibuprofen and take a rest day.
  • sauci
    Options
    That's encouraging. I did go for a light swim which did give me some relief and I went for a walk Thursday and Friday but I felt like a wonky donkey! :blushing:

I'll keep at it..

• tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I quit trying to lift weights and went back to cardio. I don't have time nor desire to be in that much pain on a regular basis. I couldn't walk well (like you said), even rolling over in bed was painful. Tylenol and ibuprofen around the clock, didn't touch the pain. No, thanks. Yes I realize I probably did too much and yes I realize it gets better in time. However I need to walk in order to work, so I don't have time to be debilitated every week waiting to heal before the next session. I wish I did.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I quit trying to lift weights and went back to cardio. I don't have time nor desire to be in that much pain on a regular basis. I couldn't walk well (like you said), even rolling over in bed was painful. Tylenol and ibuprofen around the clock, didn't touch the pain. No, thanks. Yes I realize I probably did too much and yes I realize it gets better in time. However I need to walk in order to work, so I don't have time to be debilitated every week waiting to heal before the next session. I wish I did.

If you have debilitating pain every week then your doing it wrong. I get a little sore If I change something up or try something new but other than that, I'm rarely in any pain. I'm glad I didn't quit lifting after the initial tough bout of DOMS. I wouldn't be nearly as happy with my physique or fitness abilities.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options

If you have debilitating pain every week then your doing it wrong. I get a little sore If I change something up or try something new but other than that, I'm rarely in any pain. I'm glad I didn't quit lifting after the initial tough bout of DOMS. I wouldn't be nearly as happy with my physique or fitness abilities.

I know, you're right. I'm just annoyed with myself for not being able to do it! I'll try again with much lighter weights another time soon.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I know, you're right. I'm just annoyed with myself for not being able to do it! I'll try again with much lighter weights another time soon.

I understand how you feel. I get horrible DOMS when I take any more than a month or so off lifting and come back to it. Some people get it worse than others.

That being said, it is temporary, and I promise that it gets better. Try again, and just do your best to push through it. Strength training has some truly wonderful benefits to your health and fitness.