My 16 year old daughter

Maggie1960
Maggie1960 Posts: 322
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
She's called Charlie and she has recently been diagnosed with IJA (idiopathic juvenile arthritis). She has severe symptoms and is in a lot of pain. The joints currently affected are her back, hips, knees and feet.

She starts aggressive drug treatment on Wednesday. This will annihilate her reproductive system. She has to attend for egg extraction on Tuesday. She is not keen - she's 16 for goodness sake. Please any advice, encouragement and help appreciated.

I'm not sure where this plea for help should be placed.

Replies

• She's called Charlie and she has recently been diagnosed with IJA (idiopathic juvenile arthritis). She has severe symptoms and is in a lot of pain. The joints currently affected are her back, hips, knees and feet.

She starts aggressive drug treatment on Wednesday. This will annihilate her reproductive system. She has to attend for egg extraction on Tuesday. She is not keen - she's 16 for goodness sake. Please any advice, encouragement and help appreciated.

I'm not sure where this plea for help should be placed.

I left a note on your profile. I'm also sending out pleas for information to my friends and family. I left this post link on facebook too ...
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I'm so sorry to hear of this. Had no idea you could get arthritis that young. Awww, such an awful thing to go through. I know what an awful disease it is as my Mum had chronic rheumatoid arthritis.

I can only hope the treatment goes well and the symptoms are alleviated. My Mum also had agressive treatment - infusions - and it did relieve the symptoms a lot :bigsmile:

There is always hope

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • That is so sad - I know how you must feel my daughter was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondulitis (another form of Arthritis) at about that age. Have you checked out arthritiscare? Their website has a lot of good info and some discussion boards that may be useful.
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/php/phpBB2/

John
  • I am so sorry your daughter and all of you are going through this. I have no info on this procedure, just wanted to offer support.
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    All I can send is positive vibes to you and your family... {{{{{HUG}}}}}
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Would it do any harm to take the eggs out? That's her fall back insurance. Then research as much as you can about the "aggressive drug treatment" - what are the alternatives...?? Get a 2nd opinion? Talk to the various expert bodies - Arthritis Foundation etc. This will all take a little time tho - can you put off the drug treatment for a couple of weeks?
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    I'll pray for you, but that's all I can really do but sympathize. My hubby has had gout caused by a genetic disorder since he was 15; I know how much harder it is to cope with limited mobility so young.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Wow. So sorry to hear about your daughter. I know how frustrating and scary battling this type of disease can be. I was diagnosed at 15 with Severe Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. I started aggressive treatments then too, however, none of the doctors were concerned with my reproductive system at the time. Now, 15 years later, I have severe PCOS and most likely will never have children. On one hand, I'm glad the doctors are thinking ahead for your daughter on this one. But on the other hand, it is extremely frightening for a 16 year old to have to make such decisions regarding reproductive health while battling such a severe disease.

I would also recommend the message boards on the Arthritis Foundation website. There are lots of helpful people there that can offer answers, ideas, and support for you and your daughter. I'm not sure of your location, but if you contact the Arthritis Foundation or maybe your local hospital (usually teaching hospitals) you can find local support groups for both you and your daughter to attend.

Hang in there and know that you two are NOT alone facing this disease. It is scary and there will be lots of tears, but there is support out there and you'll always find us here at MFP to help you out.
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    So sorry that you both have to face this I have never heard of it before now :wink: Will be sending lots of the "Luck of the Irish" to you both at this difficult time :heart:
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    i'm so sorry for you and your daughter, I don't know anything about the procedure but just wanted to tell you I"m sending prayers up your way.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it so I can't offer advice. What I can off is prayers going up for her and your entire family as you face this struggle together. Keep us posted!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    I just wanted to offer some hugs, mamma ((hugs))
This discussion has been closed.