A few questions..

Options
Just recently started MFP almost a week ago and have lost 3.4 lbs. And to continue this I have a few questions.

-What foods should I absolutely avoide while trying to lose weight?

-Can you really eat anything while being within your calorie intake and still lose weight?

-Is having a 'cheat' day ok? as long in moderation?

-What is a 'deficit'?

-The more water you drink, the more weight you'll lose?

- Best time to work out? After eating, after breakfast, before bed?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be informed so I can get the max results..

Thank you all for helping

Replies

• racoiaws
    racoiaws Posts: 2
    Options
    -What foods should I absolutely avoide while trying to lose weight?
    No food is off-limits. Generally, though, you'll want to avoid foods that are high in empty calories.
    -Can you really eat anything while being within your calorie intake and still lose weight?
    Yes.
    -Is having a 'cheat' day ok? as long in moderation?
    Certainly, but "moderation" is the key.
    -What is a 'deficit'?
    A caloric deficit is the ONLY way to lose weight (besides surgery). When the amount of calories you get from food is less than the amount of calories your body uses, you are in a "caloric deficit."
    -The more water you drink, the more weight you'll lose?
    No.
    - Best time to work out? After eating, after breakfast, before bed?
    It doesn't matter, so work out whenever it's convenient for you.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    The only food to avoid is the food that will push you into caloric maintenance levels or a surplus.

Yes. As long as your eating below you caloric maintenance levels, you'll lose weight. It's important to meet your macro and micro nutrient goals as well for overall health.

It's ok to have a cheat day as long as it doesn't lead to abandoning your goals.

A deficit is an amount of calories that will result in weight loss. For me, it was 1700 calories. For you it might be different.

Water intake will not affect fat loss. Just drink enough to stay hydrated.

The best time to work out is when you can make time for it.
  • samiejones1
    samiejones1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ^ everything they said!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    -What foods should I absolutely avoide while trying to lose weight? - No need to avoid any foods, but analyse your diary and see what foods make you feel a certain way.

-Can you really eat anything while being within your calorie intake and still lose weight? Yes. Portion control.

-Is having a 'cheat' day ok? as long in moderation? Sure.

-What is a 'deficit'? Eating less than your body is using up.

-The more water you drink, the more weight you'll lose? No. But drinking lots of water is like putting oil in your car.

- Best time to work out? After eating, after breakfast, before bed? Whenever suits you.
  • metalkim85
    metalkim85 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the feedback. I was gaining so much weight because I was eating so much and going over my caloric intake.
    I never knew you could eat what you wanted and still lose weight. I thought it would be all fruits and veggies lol.

I still don't know what macro and micro is, what's the difference and what do you need it for?

Thanks again.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the feedback. I was gaining so much weight because I was eating so much and going over my caloric intake.
    I never knew you could eat what you wanted and still lose weight. I thought it would be all fruits and veggies lol.

I still don't know what macro and micro is, what's the difference and what do you need it for?

Thanks again.

Macros: fat, protein, carbohydrates

Micros: calcium, potassium, all the vitamins, etc.