Will I stop sweating like a beast while exercising?

Options
I started to exercise regularly in early January - 5-6 times per week of cardio of approx. 60 minutes. I started at 340 pounds and sweated like mad - now that I am down 54 pounds, I still sweat like a sailor. The back of my shirt and back of thighs where I am touching the recumbent bike are just soaked. Will this taper off when I lose more weight or will I always be the sweaty person at the gym?

Replies

• Refrigerator1
    Refrigerator1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well the heavier you are, the more insulation, therefore more sweat. As you lose weight, you will sweat less because there is not so much insulation keeping you warm. But I also know of many thin girls that sweat like a monster. There is really no way to tell if you are a sweater or not. Just bring a towel and enjoy the fact that you are doing something good for your body. Don't sweat the small stuff. Lol
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Who knows? In my opinion, sweating should be part of working out - if you don't sweat, you're not working very hard! Everyone is different, but I can tell you I'm at my goal weight and I sweat big time when I work out. I bring a towel to the gym to mop up, because my gym does not provide them - many gyms do. I say be proud of of your hard work and don't worry about the sweating!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    At 170, I sweat A LOT. At 135, I sweat A LOT. So if you're like me you'll always be wet. But who knows how your body will react to more weight lost.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight and improve your cardiovascular fitness, your body will remove heat more efficiently.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. Sweating is a good thing. Your body has to remove heat, and it does this by sweating. As you get fitter, you might even sweat more. It means that your body is getting better at removing heat. My husband is a fast marathon runner, and he starts to sweat copiously within minutes of running, as his body seeks to eliminate heat.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    I have found that as I lose weight and get in regular cardio workouts (which are sweaty) that I sweat much less than I used to while doing regular activities.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have always been a crazy sweater, whether I was pregnant and 240 lbs, or a svelte 130-lb. teenager on the soccer field. I think a lot of it is down to genetics. I just wear lots of wicking clothing and wait to cool off before I shower. Or else I'll come out all sweaty.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When I was at my fittest, I sweated more than anyone else I knew - even just going for a stroll. (and by fit, I mean I could knock out 60 pushups and 75 situps in two minutes, and was running 2 miles in 16 minutes). Now, I'm heavier and less fit, and I sweat just as much. I really think how much you sweat depends on genetics more than it does fitness level. :)
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone else.

If I look at a basketball court, I start sweating.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I sweat, figure skating. Last week, even my pony tail was soaking wet. At the gym, I have to remember a towel because I drip on the treadmills.
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will. If you are someone who sweats when they work hard, that won't change because of your size. It is your body being a machine, that needs to stay cool. Sweat it out!!
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I agree. The only way that your sweating will reduce is if you don't push yourself. Bring a towel and continue to push yourself.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well, people who are larger will definitely sweat more. However, only you will find out whether or not you sweat as much at your goal weight and current weight.

I'm not a very large person, but I sweat like no other and I've heard that it could be genetic as well.
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Well the heavier you are, the more insulation, therefore more sweat. As you lose weight, you will sweat less because there is not so much insulation keeping you warm. But I also know of many thin girls that sweat like a monster. There is really no way to tell if you are a sweater or not. Just bring a towel and enjoy the fact that you are doing something good for your body. Don't sweat the small stuff. Lol

I have been doing an hour of kickboxing 3 times per week and sweat like crazy every single time...my butt, sports bra and even my hair is soaked in sweat. My face turns beat red and the sweat drips off of me...I am 5'6" and weigh 133lbs and have been doing kickboxing for 2 months now. It is very embarrassing and I even have people there asking me if I am okay lol. So I was wondering the same thing...will the extensive sweating ever go away....
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    probably not - sweating is your body cooling - as you get fitter your body gets better at cooling - I think I sweat more now that iI did before I got into shape
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Embrace the sweat, it means you kicked some serious *kitten*.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone else.

If I look at a basketball court, I start sweating.
    Right?! I sweat through every layer after 5 min of just walking. Then I see some poncy, bronzed a**e walking around on the surface of the sun drinking a hot coffee wearing a jumper in mid-summer ... NOTHING! Not even a drop of his brow, that piece of ....

Yea, some people sweat more than others. That's genetics. From someone who is relatively slim? When I see a heavy person exercising and sweating? I cheer them on. Good for them! Look at what you're accomplishing while your mates are getting fatter. You're doing something ... something brilliant ... and I cheer you. Your accomplishment is well more important than some extra sweat. Good for you.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I sweat an awful not at the gym, and I have never been overweight.
    15 minutes in, I usually have sweat dripping down my face.
    But I have heard various things can factor in, including protein levels, bodyfat% and intensity of training. It also might be due to my having impaired lungs. I have learnt to live with it, and even on occasion be proud of it as I do kick *kitten* when I am at the gym.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat buckets. My shirts and shorts might be a little damp, but I don't drip sweat even when doing HIIT workouts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sweating is one of a few ways your body works to regulate body temperature. The sweat evaporating from your skin is actually what cools you. The sweat droplets evaporating is what releases the heat in the sweat droplet. Sweating buckets or not sweating does not indicate a good workout or that you are more or less intense than the gym rat next to you. You can sit outside in a lawn chair in July and sweat buckets but I doubt anyone here feels lawn chair sitting is an intense workout. Environmental factors humidity, temperature all play a role. So unfortunately, your sweat pattern will most likely not change significantly even after you drop some weight.