Just keep swimming...

Options

Replies

• daediniarcaliel
    Options
    as a former triathlete i did some swimming before, mostly at our nearby lake and the swimming hall, but nowadays i'm only running. i live by the sea now, so i swim in summer in salt water. i still do long swims in summer, but now mostly to enjoy it :)
  • doheed
    doheed Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I get a least one swim in a week. I'm a SAHD and my father takes my son once a week so I get in the pool then. I try to fit in more if the weather is poor and I can't get out on my bike.

My routine is 250/250, 200/200, 150/150, 100/100, 50/50, 25/25 m respectively of Breaststroke/Free, a short rest, then back up the other way. I don't eat, or not eat, anything special before going but get more hungry post swim than after being out on my bike for a couple of hours, not sure what's up with that; maybe someone more cleverer than I can shed some light on it.

I'm happy to accept any friend requests from fellow swimmers on here, fitbit or endomondo, although I only use endomondo for logging my bike rides.

http://www.endomondo.com/profile/15147505
    https://www.fitbit.com/user/28SGCZ

Happy swimming folks
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm not swimming at all right at the moment (recovering from surgery) but when I get the all clear I'll go back to a few days a week to five days a week of swimming. I don't really have a routine. I'm not a great swimmer. still learning really. so I just do what I can to get from one end of the pool to the other. we usually swim for about 30 min-45 min and then spend ten to 15 in the hot tub.

I've read that the after swim munchies is really your body trying to get it's temperature back up. the hot tub really seems to help with the hunger. the one thing I've learned over the winter is never go swimming hungry. that makes the after swim munchies treacherous. I have a snack with carbs half an hour before swimming or so and couple that with the hot tub and it (swim munchies) doesn't seem to affect me too badly.

the problem I've been trying to deal with is skin problems (Dry and probably ezema) from the chemicals in the pool. I've heard that if you dissolve vitamin c tablets in a spray bottle and spray yourself with it it neutralizes a lot of the chlorine. I need to try that. we're in a salt water pool but the amount of chlorine generated is still enough to irritate the skin for me.
  • mootscat
    mootscat Posts: 14
    Options
    I want to start swimming as a part of my weight loss fitness routine. I can swim, as in fun in the pool without drowning - but I don't know any technical strokes. Do I need to find a way to learn the specific strokes for it to be beneficial or can I jump in and go with my own "stroke"? My gym does not offer a swim coach and I don't know anyone who knows technical swimming.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @ Mootscat - The first thing I'll say is that getting in the water & moving will burn calories for you, so I would go ahead & do it. Remember, ANY exercise is beneficial. The second thing I'll throw out there is that you don't necessarily need a coach, there are videos all over YouTube that can help you out should you feel you want to perfect your technique. Also, there's a great bunch of people in this forum - so feel free to ask questions as I'm sure somebody will be able to help you out. I think you'd be surprised how quickly your stroke will refine itself just from swimming consistently....
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I'm not swimming at all right at the moment (recovering from surgery) but when I get the all clear I'll go back to a few days a week to five days a week of swimming. I don't really have a routine. I'm not a great swimmer. still learning really. so I just do what I can to get from one end of the pool to the other. we usually swim for about 30 min-45 min and then spend ten to 15 in the hot tub.

I've read that the after swim munchies is really your body trying to get it's temperature back up. the hot tub really seems to help with the hunger. the one thing I've learned over the winter is never go swimming hungry. that makes the after swim munchies treacherous. I have a snack with carbs half an hour before swimming or so and couple that with the hot tub and it (swim munchies) doesn't seem to affect me too badly.

the problem I've been trying to deal with is skin problems (Dry and probably ezema) from the chemicals in the pool. I've heard that if you dissolve vitamin c tablets in a spray bottle and spray yourself with it it neutralizes a lot of the chlorine. I need to try that. we're in a salt water pool but the amount of chlorine generated is still enough to irritate the skin for me.

Interesting about the vitamin C because I use citrus shampoo to equalize the chlorine.
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I'm learning to swim - and finding it really work!
    I go 3 times a week most weeks (pool a few miles from my house) with the aim of being able to swim well enough for a triathlon. But first, I need to crack that 25 metres without dying first ...

Men have it much harder. You will sink a bit more until you get really moving. If you having alot of trouble with your legs sinking, try and float them with a pull buoy in the beginning until you get the hang of it.

I'm a woman and float like a friggin rock.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Yep, having lessons to learn front crawl (freestyle) and butterfly. I use pull buoys and floats when I go to the pool alone too. I just can't get my legs to work properly.

About to start open water swimming again, have a wetsuit this year so will be able to stay in the water longer.

I get the hungry thing too, always have felt hungrier after swimming than any other exercise.

I have a massive backside and rack, so I'm fairly buoyant :)
  • Macstraw
    Options
    @Spacebean - which stroke are you having trouble with the kick? If it's butterfly, is it the kick itself or is it the timing of the placement of it in the stroke cycle?
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options
    @Spacebean - which stroke are you having trouble with the kick? If it's butterfly, is it the kick itself or is it the timing of the placement of it in the stroke cycle?

It's the actual kick for front crawl and butterfly, my legs simply do not do what my brain is telling them to do.

My butterfly legs start to drift apart and turn into breast stroke and for crawl, I cannot get the leg kick right at all. I've watched youtube videos, I've read books, I attend a group class. It's very frustrating and I'm thinking of going for some one-to-one coaching, but can't afford that right now. I use a float to practice crawl legs and it takes me about 3 minutes to cover a length and I'm exhausted at the end of one. I am making this much more difficult than it needs to be!

The arms and breathing are great, no problems -- they have to be, I literally drag my carcass up the pool, because my legs do b*gger all. I've used a pull buoy and it's all fine, just the damned legs! :grumble: I think I use it too much actually, as I went swimming the day before yesterday and realised after 2 lengths of front crawl, I hadn't even tried to move my legs!

I started lessons when I could barely swim and have got the hang of the other strokes, but it took a very long time. I did move up to a more advanced class a while ago, but had to go back down to beginners because I was wiped out at the warm up stage if it involved a lot of crawl. So I just do crawl and butterfly in lessons now, but it's still not coming together.

I'd be grateful if you had any tips!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Oh man,

My coach had us doing kicking drills last night. 1500 meters of kicking. It is tiring work just kicking. She had us going hard and fast on timed intervals.

I understand what you mean by being able to pull yourself along without kicking. I think that's why she had us doing kick drills.

My only advice for the flutter kick is to make sure you aren't bending your knees too much. She corrected a lady doing exactly that, the lady wasn't going anywhere until she was corrected and it made an improvement.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Just_keep_swimming_dory.gif

Someone had to...
  • Macstraw
    Options
    You ARE thinking about it too much - you're cluttering your mind with so much information it gets difficult to concentrate on 1 thing, & you try to fix it all at once. By working with a float - do you mean a kickboard?

Let's hit the butterfly kick first because the fix for the legs coming apart is simple. They make a monofin, which is essentially a big kicking fin that both feet go into together. Barring the expense of that, you can use a simple tool that my brother (who was my team's coach at the time) did with me - tie a shoelace around your ankles. You don't need to make it too tight, just tight enough to keep your feet & legs together. Then just swim your butterfly - you will get more comfortable keeping your legs together & it will become natural to do it that way.....

For the front crawl kick - think kicking "fast" instead of kicking "big". The biggest thing I see in the other swimmers when I'm working out is that they take these great, big kicks - they look like they're walking while laying face down in the water, like they're walking toward the bottom of the pool. Your kick should come from the hip with the leg pretty well straight, but not locked completely straight. Your toes should be pointed back toward the wall you left & your feet should "flutter" at the ends of your legs. The faster the flutter, the more the kick will help propel you. You don't want to be kicking from the knees, where you are bending the knees to get more movement from the feet. Instead it's almost similar to the feeling that you get if you stick your leg out a little & shake your foot at the end of your leg. It's really no more complicated than that, to the point that the simplicity seems to make it feel like you're not doing enough. You really will be & you'll feel the difference. As for working with the kickboard, I would do only a couple of laps, then either swim the full stroke or do a pull set, then go back to it until you build stamina in your legs because kick sets are VERY taxing. If you try to do too much at once, your legs will hurt & it will affect your form. Don't worry about speed or how long it takes to do a lap, just concentrate n the form until you feel comfortable with it The speed & strength will come in time.....

Hope this helps, & I hope I made it understandable. If anything is not clear or if any questions crop up as you work on it please feel free to ask & I'll do my best to help. If you know any coaches or swimmers that you work with, please ask them about what I said & if they think it would help you - I by no means know all there is to know or would say that my way is the only way....
  • Dozer91
    Dozer91 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I took about a month & 1/2 worth of lessons in the winter and have been swimming 1--2 times a week for an hour or more each time. I play hockey and box 1-2 times week/sport, also trail skate and lift to supplement so I needed something non-impact yet soul crushing to add along with things to switch things up. I have really enjoyed learning everything so far. My warm up is 250 kick, 250 pull, 250 front crawl. Then I do a long swim and finish by doing 25 or 50 in lap sprints. I have no desire to ever do a triathlon. Seriously. Chafing. Nope. I'd love to hear some new ideas for drills and things. Friend me if you want.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I want to swim laps, but it has been years. I am in Water aerobics right now. Building my muscles back up. In hopes to be back to swimming. The crawl is hard for me as both shoulders have had extensive surgeries. The other day we had two young men who do laps everyday, come over and try our class! They quit half way through. Said it was very hard and tiring. LOL! They went back to laps! I wish you luck on your endeavors!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I swim once, sometimes twice a week...I train in a few disciplines/sports so teh rest of my time is either doing that sport-specific workout, lifting or running
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options
    Thank you Macstraw, I really find things like this difficult (it's the same learning to drive), but I love swimming.

About simplicity, breaststoke was the same. For months I struggled and couldn't do it and then one day I suddenly could and very effortlessly and I wondered what I'd been doing before.

I thought being knackered after trying to propel myself along with a kickboard in front of me was just me!
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I started swimming around 2 months ago. I had hit a plateau and couldn't lose weight for anything . I usually water walk for 15 min then swim 15 , then water walk another 15 and swim again. at least 6 days a week . In 2 months I've dropped 20 lbs. I LOVE SWIMMING!
  • Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I haven't done much swimming since the winter because our city indoor pool is just so darn crowded! But I'm in the pool three times a week for water aerobics. These next two Saturdays our class is canceled so I will get some laps in on Sunday instead. I'm kinda excited! I got some new Aquashere goggles I haven't had the chance to use much yet! When I swim, I tend to do mostly backstroke, quite honestly. That was my stroke on high school swim team and since my body is still getting in shape, I like to be able to breaaathe when I need to without drowning. I try to count laps but I enevitably lose count so I just swim for 45 minitues to an hour.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm learning to swim - and finding it really work!
    I go 3 times a week most weeks (pool a few miles from my house) with the aim of being able to swim well enough for a triathlon. But first, I need to crack that 25 metres without dying first ...

Men have it much harder. You will sink a bit more until you get really moving. If you having alot of trouble with your legs sinking, try and float them with a pull buoy in the beginning until you get the hang of it.

I'm a woman and float like a friggin rock.

That's great!! You have lots of muscles then. Me, I couldn't drown if I tried.