Replies

• emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love weighing daily, it find it helps me notice patterns and such
  • 8lackie
    8lackie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In an effort to not be swayed by fluctuations (read: discouraged) I weigh myself once a week. Also because working out isn't just for weight management but to feel good. I count more on my overall disposition to motivate me, which is greatly enhanced by working out..
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I am weighing daily in the morning now too while I'm trying to lose, because once a week isn't enough data to see a proper trend until a few months go by. How do you know otherwise if one of those weekly weigh-ins happened during a spike or dip?

Absolutely, measure once a week, lose a lb a week, but daily fluctuation +/- 1.5 lbs. It is too easy to get false results. Measure daily at the same time, and see the trends.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Why do you weigh everyday?

You actually get better at dealing with ups and downs when you can see that it happens all the time.

I step on the scale 2 or 3 times daily and I'm sure if I charted it, it'd look much like the OP's chart does.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I not sure it's being obsessed ... I Have aria scales that Bluetooth to computer... Then have a website on my iPad called trend weight. It trends the ups and downs to a figure. I love it.. Love seeing the numbers stay the same or go down. No longer have the stress of that weekly weigh in... Everyone to their own I say... Maybe I am obsessed but I don't care works for me. Especially as I'm am trying to figure out maximum amount of food I can eat.. Am also lifting so you can see increase in weight day after workout. Takes no time at all, jump on, jump off. Done.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. I weigh every day also (more or less). Because my weight fluctuates so much on a day to day basis, I don't want to risk only weighing once a week and having the day I weigh happen to be an upsurge in my weight.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Why do you weigh everyday?

You actually get better at dealing with ups and downs when you can see that it happens all the time.

I agree. When I first started on MFP I was losing 4 to 6 pounds a month. After a couple months that leveled out to 2 to 3 pounds a month. I think weighing at the same time daily and recording using MFP's progress option makes it easier to understand daily fluctuations and also to spot the longer term trends.

I track weight, body fat, and skeletal muscle. (My scale gives me readouts on all three.) The weight trends are easy to spot over the course of one, three, or six months. The body fat fluctuations are a little more volatile, but still have a good trend over longer periods (22.7% to 13.4% over 6 months.) The skeletal muscle graphs look more like an EKG readout. They go up, they go down, seemingly without any trend or direction, but I think I may have lost a pound of muscle in the last six months.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily also. Its a habit I now hope to keep for the rest of my life compared to rarely ever weighing in the past because I didn't want to see how much I weighed.

My charting shows a downward trend but it is more of a stair-step pattern. I drop then stay at that point a few days then either drop or go up, stay at that point a few days, repeat. I've also noticed that usually a gain is followed in a few days by a decent loss, however not always; sometimes the loss is just back to the previous low followed by another small loss shortly.

I think its really interesting OP how you had no leveling off at all during the month you charted and were able to lose so much so fast considering how little you have to lose. I am not sure why different people lose differently and of course it does not matter. The downward trend is what we all want.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have a similar chart.

I like weighing every day. What if I weighed weekly and one day happened to be on a "high" day and the next week a "low" and the third week was another "high"? I might think I have gained weight back or something.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. It is a will power thing for me. I told myself this time I wouldn't obsess over the scale and I'm not. It helps me stay on track with everything else if I keep that promise to myself, sounds weird I know but it is what works for me