Meals for 2-4 that are $7 or under?

Options
My pay got messed up this period & only have $100 to spend for two on groceries for two weeks. Hoping we can eat right super cheap! As we like to have leftovers for lunches the next day, I said recipes that feed 2-4 people. :wink: Any and all recipes would be a help!

Note: boyfriend is picky and won't eat any seafood or most veggies that aren't 'sweet' (carrots, corn, peas and the like) or potatoes.

Replies

• MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You can buy ~2 pound bag of frozen chicken breasts for $10 at Kroger or depending on where you live, Meijer. I'm sure Publix has them too if you live more south. (If you live in the U.S. at all)
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts. Lean beef. Cans of tuna. Veggies. Tell your boyfriend to put on his big boy pants and suck it up. He's an adult. Time to realize the realities and quit being as picky as a 4 yr old with his food.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Boneless chicken breast is 1.99/lb everyday at Walmart. That would be 5lbs for $10.00. But honestly you need to stock up on pasta and cheap sauce like prego to stretch $100.00 for two people over two weeks. You should probably invest $10.00 on my old friend ramen soup. You can get about 30+ of the brick shaped packages for that. Eggs are cheap for breakfast.
  • newgmartin
    newgmartin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Get the sales circulars for your local grocery stores, and shop around the special deals. If you eat meat, then work around the stuff that's on sale, and make that the starting point for planning menus. Like, a whole chicken makes meal one, then the leftovers go for sandwiches, and the carcass makes stock for soup. Pork roasts are good too, or beef, you can take leftover bits and put them in a red sauce for pasta, or make chili.

Also, go for the cheap eggs, don't worry about free range or whatever. Eggs are good cheap protein, and can work for every type of meal, and baking. A frittata is a terrific way to re-use little bits of pasta, or other starches like potatoes, with a little meat and vegetable to make a good filling meal - you don't need much of any one thing, so it comes out as much more than the sum of its parts.

I also love legumes like beans and lentils, they stretch things like soups and stews and offer great bang for your calorie buck with fiber, iron, etc. but Mr. Fussypants may not like them. I'm married to one of those. Dried beans are usually cheapest unless you hit a sale. If you have a crockpot, it's super easy to cook them in that, with no overnight soaking needed. Falafel are really good and super easy to make as well.

I love to cook from scratch, and have lots of recipes and stuff on different blogs I write for, as well as just in my home stash, so ping me if you need any! Good luck, it's a big challenge, but you can do it.
  • abcdefghijkayla
    abcdefghijkayla Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! We just grabbed a cheap carton of eggs and I defrosted a package of bacon that we had leftover, so thinking tonight will just be breakfast for dinner. Definitely need to invest in a crock pot. Every time we go to Goodwill I scour their kitchen section for one. Love cooking with minimal effort haha!