Good or bad?

Options
I'm sure somewhere along the line someone has asked the very question I'm about to ask, but I have yet to find it. What is everyone's opinion of the weight loss shake (IE Slim-Fast, Opti-Meal, etc.)? It seems like a meal replacement shake would be good, but then I've heard that there are a lot of things in them that might cause further health problems instead of the positive weight loss success.

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I use one for breakfast every morning because it quick and easy, I hate that it has so much sugar in it so now that I have taken my last one today, I plan on no longer using them. (just had to use what I had up.)

bottom line is, if you don't have to worry about sugar like I do, and it helps you lose weight, then go for it. Just remember, that not every thing that says it is healthy, is what it claims to be.
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    I've learned on this journey of mine that the true way to losing weight and keeping it off, is to eat healthy always. No shakes or drinks teach you how to eat healthy, portion controlled meals. I know some people have success, but I have never heard of anyone having long term success and that is why we are all here. Good luck on your journey.:flowerforyou:
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    I make my own shakes so I know what's in them plus the slim fast meal replacement shakes have never made me full!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is the best one ever created.
  • ambie1983
    Options
    I agree with the pervious post. If you want long term success you need to find ways to eat healthy. I've tried to do diet such as that and I've seen other ppl also. And we all failed. Cause who really wants to drink those for the rest of your life? I personal wouldn't drink them more than one meal a day. Or more for quick meals on the go.
  • RRodine
    Options
    I am not very good at eating breakfast and who has time, I have one on my way out the door every morning. The first 16lbs I lost (before mfp) was by doing the shake for breakfast and shake for lunch. Now I jsut do breakfast.

I also read a study in a magazine that said that people who use weight lose shakes, lean cuisines (or any of those prepackaged dinners), and protein bars to lose weight have better success.

And about diet control, having a weight lose shake is absolutely diet control, I use to have bacon, toast, french toast, pancakes, etc for breakfast, now I have learned to just have my shake.

I have lost 73lbs in about 18months, and I have had a shake almost everyday.

I do prefer the Special K shakes, I think they just taste better.

Hope this helps.
  • abcollins1355
    Options
    Saw this and had to comment.
    As a Nutritionist, this is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves.
    I ABSOULTELY 100% HATE shakes or any type of meal replacement type programs.

WHY?? Because they are the "quick and easy" way out. They do not teach you how to make healthy choices and keep the weight off in the long run, and they do not teach your body what to do with the food that you take in.

You need REAL food in the morning, so please eat!!!
    If you dont have time to prepare it, make it the night before!! (I do this every morning as I have to be out the door for work at 4 am)
    Yes it will take a little more planning and effort but you will achieve sooooo much more.

Lean Cusines and those types of products are very unhealthy. They are processed foods high in sodium and low in actual nutrition. Most protein bars are little better than most candy bars, high in sugar and fat! You simply dont need them.

I am sorry but a shake is not "diet control", yes it is a better choice than many items but it is NOT real food and it does not fill you for as long as real food does nor does it teach your body how to use the feul you give it. Yes your body needs specific nutrition and it can and will adapt to what you feed it.

Yes you can lose weight on these products, but they are not healthy in the long run, not to mention they are EXPENSIVE!!

To get the BEST nutrtion you should be eating real food at every turn, with in your calories of course.

Now protein shakes are a bit different, as their purpose is to give you more protein to help preserve muscle (which burns more calories and creates a more effecient and higher burning metabolism). Protein shakes are not true "weight loss" products.

Weight loss shakes and weight loss "packaged dinners" are unhealthy, expensive, and not real food.

You would be much better served by eating real food, which you plan out, that does not cost you any extra money out of your budget. This way you KNOW how to eat well and your body learns how to deal with real food, you stay fuller longer and get more nutrients out of your meals.

These companies have brainwashed people into thinking that you need extra things to lose weight. You dont need anything more than proper nutrition and exercise. Thats it, no pills, no potions, no pre packaged goop, just plain ole good real food and exercise.

Weight loss is 80% Nutrition.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend Slim Fast. It is packed with sugar. Then they got on the Atkins band wagon by offering Slim Fast with Protein, still crap. I recommend for a quality protein shake Lean Dessert by BSN. You can find it at any Vitamin Shoppe or online at www.bodybuilding.com. What ever you do, compare the labels/nutritional information.