is my goal realistic?

Hi,

I am thinking loudly and would like to share my thoughts with you and get your opinions.

I lost around 30 kg ... I went from 110 kg to 80 kg.. my tall is 5' 8''....I did many p90x and insanity workouts ..Now I started lifting weight ...doing my own workout at home..

my body fat % is 17..

my goal was to reach 70 kg... now i think this goal is not realistic any more...

should my goal be to reduce my body fat to be 10%.. which means 7*80/100=5 kg fat to lose.... thats mean my new goal should be to hit 75 kg

Am i correct?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• cocoacurls
    cocoacurls Posts: 7
    I think it would be even healthier if you aim for something like 60-65 kg or so. It is all in your head.

P.:S. Losing JUST body FAT is not always the healthiest. The more weight you have, the stronger the pressure on your joints. So more and more and more muscle is not always good, especially for women. Your hormonal balance (androgen hormones) can mess up. If I was you (and was at some point) I wuld aim for something under 70 kg or MAX 70 kg and losing both muscle and a bit of fat. Just dont lose it fast. Take a diet break fr 3-4-5.12 months and than lose more weight. I understand why you think it is not realistic, but believe me, you will change your perspective once you stay for a while on 70-75.

I am sure that now 1000 people here will attack me because I did not say ''listen to your body, stay on 80 kg'', but I actually dont believe this is healthy. 80 kg even on 17% body fat is normal for a 180 cm tall man, not for a woman. And this is NOT because of my taste for vision, but because of the hormone functions. Sooner or later it all messes up. I know a couple of girls that are that muscular, not much BF and 80 kg, 170 cm. They are all with PCOS, abnormal testosterone levels, acne, etc.

Just lose some muscle, go down to 65 and be healthy. The world is getting bigger and bigger and bigger and the standards are changing. The body physiology does not.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    I think it would be even healthier if you aim for something like 60-65 kg or so. It is all in your head.

P.:S. Losing JUST body FAT is not always the healthiest. The more weight you have, the stronger the pressure on your joints. So more and more and more muscle is not always good, especially for women. Your hormonal balance (androgen hormones) can mess up. If I was you (and was at some point) I wuld aim for something under 70 kg or MAX 70 kg and losing both muscle and a bit of fat. Just dont lose it fast. Take a diet break fr 3-4-5.12 months and than lose more weight. I understand why you think it is not realistic, but believe me, you will change your perspective once you stay for a while on 70-75.

814220.gif

OP - 70 is a healthy BMI and seems reasonable, especially if you're looking to add some muscle. But don't just go on weight, mirror and clothes count too. I note you're male, not female as has been assumed above, so 70 would seem about right.
  • cocoacurls
    Ops, sorry, I thought OP is a female ;D
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    cocovanille - OP is male. (according to his profile)

However 70kg would be within healthy BMI range for a female of 5ft 8 in so not sure what you meant to say.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member

I am sure that now 1000 people here will attack me because I did not say ''listen to your body, stay on 80 kg'', but I actually dont believe this is healthy. 80 kg even on 17% body fat is normal for a 180 cm tall man, not for a woman. And this is NOT because of my taste for vision, but because of the hormone functions. Sooner or later it all messes up. I know a couple of girls that are that muscular, not much BF and 80 kg, 170 cm. They are all with PCOS, abnormal testosterone levels, acne, etc.

Just lose some muscle, go down to 65 and be healthy. The world is getting bigger and bigger and bigger and the standards are changing. The body physiology does not.

Can you please share the studies that back up this claim that having muscle will cause PCOS, etc... And that women should try to lose muscle mass.

(Please say I misunderstood your comments due to lack of caffeine)
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    74 kg = 10% bf for you provided zero loss of lean mas
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

Can you please share the studies that back up this claim that having muscle will cause PCOS, etc... And that women should try to lose muscle mass.

(Please say I misunderstood your comments due to lack of caffeine)

+1...

Seriously, where are these studies?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Also, some helpful links.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this then... ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • cocoacurls
    I have no studies. I have real life experience, as I said I know women who are too muscular with a low BF %. I dont care what you think, I just express my opinion on the forum. Also, this standards are pretty common just in the overdeveloped countries and most common in America, where people are really fat on avarage.

I come from east Europe and now live in Germany. Women here are pretty fit and take care of themselves. 80 kg muscular woman is a pure exception. I come from Bulgaria and a woman 70-80 kg there is concidered VERY overweight. It is no coincidence that the bulgarian women are on avarage very healthy and we dont have such high rates on diabetes, some ****ing strange deseases etc.
    The avarage woman weights 55-65 kg, most of the zoung girls 55-60. My mother was 57 kg her whole life and never eats more than she needs. My whole family also. Everyone I know has some restriction, it is like hygiene. Fat people (for women over 65 kg) are rare. Here in Germany the standards are not so tight, but people on general have some eating ''ethic''. Americans just dont on my opinion. This is why someone can concider 70-75 kg woman with 17% bodyfat normal.

This post does NOT intend to offend somebody. I love Americans, just the overconsumption made the body standards very unhealthy. This site proves it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    I have no studies. I have real life experience, as I said I know women who are too muscular with a low BF %. I dont care what you think, I just express my opinion on the forum. Also, this standards are pretty common just in the overdeveloped countries and most common in America, where people are really fat on avarage.
    If it's your opinion then you shouldn't be advising people to lose fat and muscle if you have no studies of science behind why you say that. I'm sorry but women or men don't develop health issues from putting on muscle. Which it's actually hard for women to put on muscle unless they are trying to bulk up and eating at a surplus. A person when losing weight will always lose both fat and lean muscle, but you need to try to keep some of that muscle and make it stronger which will help your body perform the way it should.
    I come from east Europe and now live in Germany. Women here are pretty fit and take care of themselves. 80 kg muscular woman is a pure exception. I come from Bulgaria and a woman 70-80 kg there is concidered VERY overweight. It is no coincidence that the bulgarian women are on avarage very healthy and we dont have such high rates on diabetes, some ****ing strange deseases etc.
    The avarage woman weights 55-65 kg, most of the zoung girls 55-60. My mother was 57 kg her whole life and never eats more than she needs. My whole family also. Everyone I know has some restriction, it is like hygiene. Fat people (for women over 65 kg) are rare. Here in Germany the standards are not so tight, but people on general have some eating ''ethic''. Americans just dont on my opinion. This is why someone can concider 70-75 kg woman with 17% bodyfat normal.

This post does NOT intend to offend somebody. I love Americans, just the overconsumption made the body standards very unhealthy. This site proves it.

I've been to Ireland, I know that food in Europe is fresher and I wish that America would adopt that. I agree that the portion sizes here are large. But it's not the food that has made any of us fat, it's our eating habits that make us this way. Eating too many calories. Which some may argue it's due to portion size, but the truth is, we all have a decision to make when something is given to us, we can choose to eat all of it or half of it. It's a choice, a decision. That is what makes everyone fat - overconsumption of calories. It has nothing to do with where they live. Because America is no longer #1 in the Worlds Fattest Country, we were ousted by Mexico.

There's also a vast difference between Europe and America in transportation. When I was in Ireland I walked almost everywhere. I'd take the train or bus to where I needed to be, but then once in the city I would walk everywhere and you could. Most American cities are pretty spread out, the city I live in is super spread out. There's not a way I could walk to anything other than a Walmart to get groceries and their produce isn't so good.

So you really can't compare the two because things are pretty different in the two countries.

The thing that remains true though, people get fat from eating too many calories, doesn't matter what the food is.
  • blakedebo
    blakedebo Posts: 130 Member

So, there are only Americans on this site? hmmm...
    and why do you have 30 lbs to lose then?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    I have no studies. I have real life experience, as I said I know women who are too muscular with a low BF %. I dont care what you think, I just express my opinion on the forum.

qxp5oh.gif

Oh and clearly real life experience seeing women trumps studies done evaluating whether or not it's healthy or not. While expressing your opinion is in your realm to do, be prepared to have to back it up with facts when you actually try to advise someone to lose muscle (which is freaking absurd btw).
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    I have no studies. I have real life experience, as I said I know women who are too muscular with a low BF %. I dont care what you think, I just express my opinion on the forum.

By the way, I see you are friends with heybales. You will learn a LOT from him. He's awesome.
  • _HeartsOnFire_

So, there are only Americans on this site? hmmm...
    and why do you have 30 lbs to lose then?

Yes, because overconsumption of calories could NEVER happen in other countries right?!?

As of July 15, 2013....the top 10 fattest countries are...

10. Germany 20.2% Obesity Rate
    9. Canada 22% Obesity Rate
    8. Norway 22.4% Obesity Rate
    7. Slovakia 23% Obesity Rate
    6. UAE 23% Obesity Rate
    5. Czech Republic 24.2% Obesity Rate
    4. Australia 24.6% Obesity Rate
    3. New Zealand 26.5% Obesity Rate
    2. USA 31.8% Obesity Rate
    1. Mexico 32.8% Obesity Rate

Interesting that 4 European Nations made it in the top 10
  • GiveMeCoffee

If you can't back up your opinion with science than it's completely irrelevant and bad advice.

So you are trying to lose 30 lbs of muscle? Sounds real healthy ... but thanks I was deciding not to go lift today and take a rest day but you have inspired me to go get it done.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member

Opinion and anecdotal evidence =/= good advice

Peer reviewed studies > opinion and anecdotal evidence

Giving advice to someone looking for help and basing it solely on opinion and anecdotal evidence = really bad from
  • GiveMeCoffee
    jwhited71,
    Of course, if you start at 285 pounds, 150 muscular will be a good end point. But it doesnt mean it is optimal.

You are right it might not be optimal I may stop at 160, as I do want to preserve my muscle, and be healthy. I don't have this desire to be a stick figure with no muscle tone.

But when you give advice to someone you need to base it in reality not on a warped sense of what you feel is sexy. Thank you for letting me know my being over 200 pounds was gross to you. You make a lot of friends don't you :flowerforyou:
  • _HeartsOnFire_

FANMADE_Screw_Logic!.gif

How exactly am I ****ing up my health? Please enlighten us all with your OPINION.

I'm not looking to become a body builder, I'm looking to minimize muscle loss, while losing fat. It's actually pretty hard for women to build a lot of muscle unless they really want that - and they'd have to eat at a surplus not a deficit.

It's okay to be wrong. It really is. Nothing wrong with that. If you are going to tell people they should lose fat and muscle you should start off by saying this is my opinion and there is no science or medical studies proving anything I say, because again this is just my opinion.

And as StrokingDiction stated above
    Opinion and anecdotal evidence =/= good advice

Peer reviewed studies > opinion and anecdotal evidence

Giving advice to someone looking for help and basing it solely on opinion and anecdotal evidence = really bad form
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member

Please tell me your kidding!?#?!
  • albajrai
    albajrai Posts: 12 Member
    mmmmmm.. PCOS ..... I think as a male (and OP !!) ... my goal should be to avoid such thing ..... i just understood my goal in life ..... it became more realistic now :bigsmile: