Trader Joe's -- What to get?

Options
I'm hoping to go to Trader Joes within the Next hour and am asking for any suggestions of what to get while there. The WW team leader suggestes an Eggplant & Squash mix, & Bouillabaisse as the topping. She also suggested Chimi Churri but I'm not sure if it's gonna be high in sodium cuz she said it was Spicy. I have no clue what else to get there and am not motivated to go for only 3 items. I want to look into Almond Butter & Milk as well but that's about it.

Replies

• marilla
    marilla Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I like their soups in a carton and they are a really good price there compared to a lot of other places. They have some low sodium ones.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you've already gone or not, but I love their frozen chili lime chicken burgers and the champagne pear vinaigrette salad dressing!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I like their soups in a carton and they are a really good price there compared to a lot of other places. They have some low sodium ones.

I love the chicken noodle soup in the carton, two servings (I eat it as one) for about 1200 sodium, which I don't think is bad for soup

Tomato basel soup in the larger cartons

Apple chicken sausage is good

Frozen teriyaki chicken (kind of pre-made micro and serve in a red and black or brown package)

They have some muffins that are high fiber and low in calories that are pretty good point value, but I don't really like them

Hummus (I like the egg plant) and last time I was there they had a little veggie tray thing that would go good with the hummus

Canadian bacon

I can't think of anything else. I should know all the tricks since my hubby works there :wink:

Brown rice in the frozen food section
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I really like their frozen stuff...I don't remember exact names, so bear with me, but the 99% fat free bean and rice burrito is great (comes in a pack of two but I have one at a time); the Gnocchi Alla Sorrentina is amazing; the Penne Pepperonata is tasty...pretty much all of their frozen vegetable mixes are great too--you can't go wrong with any of those. Edamame...yum! Do watch the sodium because they tend to sneak it in when you're not expecting it. Some of the sodium content--especially in stuff like Thai dishes--is just off the charts. However, a low-sodium salsa they have that's great is the Fire-Roasted Tomato Salsa with no salt added.

Sorry for the rambling, but I love TJ's...you really can't go wrong with most of their stuff, but like I said, *do* pay attention to the sodium content. Happy shopping! :)
  • merimeaux
    Options
    Don't know if you've already gone or not, but I love their frozen chili lime chicken burgers and the champagne pear vinaigrette salad dressing!

Ah, my absolute favorite salad dressing is their Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette. Two tablespoons is 25 calories, 0g fat, 170mg sodium. I usually only use one tablespoon on my salad because a little goes a long way for me. :)
  • angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I've actually been looking for Hummus. Is eggplant healthier than most? I have been told about the Brown Rice so I may have to take a look. Apple Chicken sausage? Does it come in links or patties? How is the sodium in the Chili Lime Chicken Burgers? I'll look around for the soup. Thanx Everybody!!!
  • merimeaux
    Options
    Hmmm. I've actually been looking for Hummus. Is eggplant healthier than most? I have been told about the Brown Rice so I may have to take a look. Apple Chicken sausage? Does it come in links or patties? How is the sodium in the Chili Lime Chicken Burgers? I'll look around for the soup. Thanx Everybody!!!

If you've been looking for hummus you should definitely try their roasted red pepper hummus, for one. If you're a fan of avocados or guacamole, you would LOVE their avocado hummus (or is it called guacamole hummus?...not sure). I think the roasted red pepper hummus has fewer calories than regular hummus, but might also then have less protein...you'll have to look at the labels when you get there. But we've tried most of their hummus varieties and those are our two faves. :)
  • missmeliss
    missmeliss Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    - packaged beets in the fridge section near all of the veggies. it's wonderful chopped on top of salad!
    - bruschetta in the canned section near all of the pasta sauces. outstanding flavor!
    - the dolmas in a jar.
    - the chevre with herbs. smear on a triscuit - yum!
    - steamer clams in butter and garlic sauce in the freezer section. low calorie, high flavor!
    - the seasoned mahi mahi fillets. grill 'em and serve with brown rice.

oh, i could go on and on...
  • christina1109
    Options

If you've been looking for hummus you should definitely try their roasted red pepper hummus, for one. If you're a fan of avocados or guacamole, you would LOVE their avocado hummus (or is it called guacamole hummus?...not sure). I think the roasted red pepper hummus has fewer calories than regular hummus, but might also then have less protein...you'll have to look at the labels when you get there. But we've tried most of their hummus varieties and those are our two faves. :)

You can always buy the ingredients to make your own. That way you can control the salt content in what you're eating. All you need for that kind of thing is a blender/food processor.
  • angieskia
    Options
    hi miss I have no clue what chevre or dolmas are so I wouldn't know where to look. As fo making my own HUmmus I'd like to buy it 1st to see if I actually like it & cuz I'm lazy. Sorry. What do Beets taste like. I wouldn't mind trying the Mahi Mahi. Do you know how long it takes to Grill? I've heard of Bruschetta but not sure what it is.
  • Gossamer5
    Gossamer5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You should really stay away from any and all frozen foods as they are high in sodium which of course keeps the weight on you as it causes you to retain water. Make anything and everything as fresh as you can. Fresh fruits and veggies are the best.
  • angieskia
    Options
    Thanx Goss!
  • christina1109
    Options
    hi miss I have no clue what chevre or dolmas are so I wouldn't know where to look. As fo making my own HUmmus I'd like to buy it 1st to see if I actually like it & cuz I'm lazy. Sorry. What do Beets taste like. I wouldn't mind trying the Mahi Mahi. Do you know how long it takes to Grill? I've heard of Bruschetta but not sure what it is.

Chevre is a goat cheese, beets have a somewhat sweet flavor to them, dolmas are grape vine leaves (when prepared they are stuffed and then cooked), bruschetta is a crusty bread that is usually topped with olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, basil and cheese, then baked.

There are different types of hummus. If you don't like chick peas, you could always try black bean.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    They have great prices on nuts and dried fruit. I love their pasta sauces. Their five grain hot cereal is great! Hummus is good. They have this frozen dish that's mussles in a lemon wine sauce that you nuke for 5 minutes and it's ready to eat. I could go on and on but i'll let you get started with that stuff
  • Smmikkel
    Options
    I practically live at TJ's. I get excited when they get new items and annoyed when my one item is gone. The following is usually the staples.

Baby spinch - cheap cal and can be used in so many different ways.
    Steamed lentils - easy. Just micro or throw in a saucepan w garlic, onion and curry powder.
    Baby beets - great chilled or warmed topped w some goat cheese depending on the cal intake for the day.
    Turkey patty - 150 cal no weighing/guessing. (I had one for dinner which I chopped up and put in a Sonoma Carb wheat tortilla, steamed broccoli topped w a 1/4 cup of Mexican Lite cheese blend and salsa. All from TJ's and around 300 cal)
    Sonoma wheat tortilla - 60 cal
    Mexican Lite cheese blend - 80 cal 1/4 cup
    Fat Free Greek yogurt - goes in my smoothie
    Agave nectar - replaces my sugar
    Peanut Flour - been playing w this for peanut butter substitute 110 1/4 cup
    Cans of tuna, smoked oysters, chicken w water, smoked trout all canned.
    Chicken/vegetable broth in the little packets that you add your own water.
    Marinaria sauce - good simple sauce inexpensive
    Frozen Brown rice - I always have. 160 a cup. Usually 1/2 works great
    Frozen corn - good but have to watch the portion
    Frozen mixed fruit for my smoothie
    "Just Pasta" penne - I LOVE this. 1 cup 160 cal. Throw a teaspoon of TJ pesto...yum
    Pasta Italiano - great combo pasta 120 a cup
    West Soy Unstweetened Vanilla soy milk - milk substitute. 90 cal cup w 1g sugar. Goes into my coffee in the morn after heated in the micro.

I think that's it for the staples. :)
  • merimeaux
    Options
    You should really stay away from any and all frozen foods as they are high in sodium which of course keeps the weight on you as it causes you to retain water. Make anything and everything as fresh as you can. Fresh fruits and veggies are the best.

Plain, unseasoned, unsalted frozen vegetables aren't bad for you...fresh is the best, but sometimes that's not an option for some people...