Does it gets hard losing weight after a while?

Options
sonuyos
sonuyos Posts: 114 Member
Does it get harder to lose weight after a time??

I lost 20kgs till now....and I raised my bar from 1200-1600 or sometimes even 1700-1800 cal

So is it getting hard or should I lower back yo 1200??

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm female and unless you're extremely short, I'm also shorter than you, and I'm in my late 30s, and I lose on 1800 cals/day... I'm pretty sure you can eat quite a bit more than 1800 cals/day and still lose weight

1200 cals/day is too low for most women... and men usually need more calories than women due to being (usually) bigger and having more lean mass.

you'll find weight loss a lot harder on 1200 cals/day... you may lose weight faster on this number but it'll be much harder in terms of dealing with hunger, not binge eating and compliance in general
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    As an 18 man you really shouldn't have been on 1200 calories a day (unless you're 4 foot tall). You would have lost a lot of muscle mass doing that (which you don't want). So no don't lower it back down yes it will get slower but as long as you're consistent though it will continue to come off
  • vickee13
    vickee13 Posts: 31
    Options
    Weight loss does start to slow near the end, I had several weeks near the end where my weight was sticking. Was lucky enough not to gain some weeks but this can happen too!
    The trick is not to let a no weight loss or a little gain to put you off getting to your goal - I did this on so many of my diets in the past!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It slows down but as long as you eat at a deficit, you will still lose... just slower, because you don't want the same kind of deficit when you have 40 kg to lose than when you have 10.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There is no reason a male should be eating 1200 calories per day. I'm 5'10" and oldish and I lost steadily eating 2100 - 2300 calories gross daily and I maintain at around 2700 - 2800.

As you lean out, weight loss becomes progressively slower; you simply don't have the fat stores to mobilize like you used to...you will drop faster at 1200 calories, but a lot of your scale losses will be muscle.
  • vzgregg
    vzgregg Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'2" and MFP tells me to do 1200 cals. i try to stay under 1000 and i workout everyday during the week. when i first started after i had my son, the weight loss was rapid probably because my body was used to a much higher calorie diet. I've been 1at 1200 calories (or close to) for a few years now...and it is much harder to lose weight. i'm 37 now and think some of it may have to do with getting older? slowing metabolism? i don't know...but its definitely harder to lose now than it used to be.