Eat to live

Options
2»

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    No way. Just way too restrictive.

I eat to hit my macros. If I want a serving of ice cream or cake, I have it. I'm not going to refer to a list of DOS and DO NOTS . I have no problem losing weight, I weighed 202. I weigh 135 now, and ate what I wanted.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I am very supportive of vegans and vegos who live that way for ethical, religous and moral reasons. But that's about it, outside of that as any kind of diet or weightloss fad, I wouldn't even bother.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Where does the protein come from? The only thing I see that has protein is nuts (but limited to 1 oz which is nothing) and legumes which are "unlimited" but legumes have twice the carbs as protein so to get the amount of protein you'd want in a day you would have to eat a very large amount of beans.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    According to the author, broccoli has more protein than any animal source...
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    No wonder I love a side of broccoli with my flatiron steak!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    The only reason I am even contemplating doing this are the amazing success stories!

What about all the people on this forum who are losing succesfully without such restrictions?
    [/quote

Right. I can lose weight eating meat and dairy. I would NOT EVER give up meat ( red meat, steak, fried chicken, roast pork, cheese and yogurt in large quantities, not to mention daily chocolate) just to lose weight; not worth it ] That price is higher than I'm willing to pay.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I would do it if someone would prepare it all FOR me. I'd eat just about any diet that was made for me.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    Maybe if someone cut off my tastebuds.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    This is an easy and delicious way to lose weight - and gain health.
    I like to eat this way because I feel great. I did give Paleo a go for 2 years, and before that I was eating the standard way.
    Maybe it was easy for me as it was part of a long progression.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    According to the author, broccoli has more protein than any animal source...

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    To me LIVING also has to be enjoyment and happiness. I've done bodybuilding competitions and have done restricted 12-16 week diets to prep for contests and if I had to eat that way for the rest of my life, then living would suck.
    Health has many more variables than just diet. Rest, stress, environment, risk factor, genetics, etc. all play a part and even if one ate "perfect" but neglected the above, they wouldn't be any more healthier.
    It's really all about balance. Extremes in either direction are usually downfalls.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    At 19, your motivation is losing weight but you may find as you grow older than your motivation will be health.

If you want to give it more consideration two documentaries on Netflix streaming: Forks Over Knives and Hungry for Change.

Best of success on your journey whatever path you take.
  • flhedinger
    flhedinger Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm getting ready to try this for 6 weeks. I'm not committing myself to longer than that, and I will allow myself a few limited modifications -- dairy 1-3 times per week and eggs 1-2 times per week. My main goals in adopting this approach to eating for a little while are: 1) to break myself out of a sugar craving that is sabotaging me on a daily basis; 2) to motivate me to eat better quality foods (vegetables and fruits, whole grains, etc.); and 3) to eat at a calorie deficit without being hungry. I think that by doing this for 6 weeks and then slowly re-introducing certain foods (allowing dairy slightly more often, etc.), I will have adopted better eating habits that will continue for a long time.

Of course, if I lose a good amount of weight in these 6 weeks, that would be great as well!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, cutting out entire food groups should never be on the agenda when working towards weight loss goals.

Eat what you like to eat, in smaller portions. I've been doing that for almost 5 months now. You will get used to eating less food and get full on less food over time. I remember going to the hibachi restaurant with my boyfriend some time last November, when we were both fat and eating without any kind of caloric limit. We DOWNED every single course as the chef was dishing it out to us. It was embarrassing. I went back to the same restaurant last weekend, got the same thing (special for 2, filet mignon, shrimp, scallops, lobster tail, rice, noodles, soup and salad) and left with a doggie bag of exactly HALF my entire main course. I simply couldn't eat it, because I can't eat that much any more. I was amazed.

But anyway, people tend to be really impatient with weight loss, so they try some fad diet for 3-4 weeks, only lose 8 lbs, then binge and gain back 4 in water weight, and then they go "OMG, nothing works!!"

A modest deficit for an extended period of time works. Do that. Lift some weights if you can.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't do this as I enjoy food and eating in such a restricted way would drive me insane.

The recommended diet wheel which was produced and taught in the UK during the 1980's and 1990's recommends that no food groups are left out. Obviously, if you are intolerant of certain foods due to health, faith or personal reasons then you eat to suit your lifestyle. By not eating a balanced diet, you are not feeding your body what it needs to build muscles and stay healthy.

This is a complete lifestyle change, that takes a lot of doing and willpower. I wish you all the best if you do decide to go ahead :-)

Kaela x