Do you count walking to get places as exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    How you account for that activity is completely up to you...you can account for it either in your activity level or you can account for it after the fact and log it. Personally, I include my regular walking in my activity level.
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It's a perfect example of what makes up your activity setting - something you do as part of your daily life / job.
    So no, don't log it as separate exercise but be realistic about choosing an activity setting which reflects that you aren't spending all your time sitting down.

If you went for an "extra" walk for exercise then you could log that.

this is exactly what I was going to say. Exercise is defined by that outside of your normal routine, if it is normal for you then it is not getting your heart rate up or pushing you. It should be figured into your activity level when you found your BMR.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you put your activity level in as sedentary you should count it as sedentary would be sitting around all day, not walking as much as you are. If you selected something like lightly active for activity level, then things get a little fuzzier.
  • cllewis737
    cllewis737 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do, I use the Endomondo app on my phone, which has a step counter (and syncs with the myfitnesspal app). I only use that for walking farther than a half mile, but I'm very happy with it. I also use it for other exercise (like riding my bike). It will take the calories I burn and add them to the calories available for me for the day. I LOVE that.