Options
So I decided to enter into a 10k. I have succesfully run a 5k and can run about 3.5-4.5 miles. However I hit my wall and want to walk everytime around the 4 mile mark. I only have a week left and not feeling to confident. Yesterday I felt like a sack of potaotes was on my back! lol

I figure if I have to walk for a minute so what.....just finish. But I am looking for some pointers.

My other question is the remainder of this week will be late work days. I will not be home until after dark so the remainder of my running until the 10k will be on the treadmill. Is that going to hinder my progress

Replies

• missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    Congratulations! Running on the treadmill is fine, if you use a slight decline it will mimic road pressure, but with only a week left you don't want to do too much running. As for the distance, I always recommend walk/run at the beginning to conserve energy so you can finish strong :) Have fun and let us know how it goes!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Most beginner runners hit 2 walls. The first one is getting up to 5k and the other getting up to 5 miles. So what you are experiencing is normal. If you are feeling that heavy on your runs you may need to adjust your eating some to have more energy (have some more carbs because that is what your body uses for energy during running) or maybe you need some rest.

Running on a treadmill a week before will not hinder your race. It might improve it if you need to rest some.
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    just did my first 10k yesterday! walked most, but was very happy to finish :smile: good luck! as far as training, I think you'll do just fine! my training sucked (my own fault) and I still did it!
  • jahnlaw
    jahnlaw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A friend told me that he finished a marathon. After complementing him and explaining that I wanted to run a 10K, he laughed and admitted he didn't run it but walked most of the way with some running in between. He said no one ever asked him if he ran a marathon just whether he finished it. My take on it regarding being fit is working out to my max and doing more every week. I want to run a 10k as a part of being fit. So I figure if I can run 7k, more reasonable, then I can do the last 3 k on race day. Good luck. Btw if u google 10k preparaztion threre are a lot of good sources.
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the pointers, I feel a little better! I will post on sunday how I did (not if I completed...but when)!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I hit a wall at 5 miles, and the way I got through it was to run to the point of where I usually feel I need to quit, walk for a minute and then run another half mile. Keep adding a half mile to your long run every week until you get up to the 6 miles. Before you know it you won't need that walk break anymore. If you can run 3 miles you can run 6. The fight you will have will be in your mind. Just tell yourself you CAN do it! Eat well and get plenty of rest this week. Good luck!
  • icemangj
    Options
    What you are experiencing is called the lactate threshold or turn point. You can train to improve it and it will help on all your runs 10k, 5k, even marathons. It is a lactic acid build to a point that your body can not release it fast enough. Here is a good sight that explains it further. http://www.runningplanet.com/training/lactate-threshold-training-lactate-turnpoint.html
    It tells about conditioning for VO2 max and how you can better your time through interval training as well. There are some really good workout plans, but you’ll need more than a week to try them out. Congratulations on your success so far and good luck.
  • kaylou
    Options
    Ran 4.6 last night....felt much better! I actually could have gone farther but it was getting dark and I was a half a block from home. About 3.5 I wanted to stop but just kept pushing once I hit a little over 4 I felt a little engerized! I am more optimistic about the 10k
  • ColoradoClyde
    Options
    Jeff Galloway, an experienced marathoner and coach, recommends alternating running and walking as a way to avoid injury. There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking a few walking breaks during your run -- you may be better off doing it that way.
  • kaylou
    Options
    Hey everyone, I did it! 1 hour 6 minutes and 29 seconds! Feels awesome!
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I did it! 1 hour 6 minutes and 29 seconds! Feels awesome!

WHOOHOOO!!! congrats :)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job. Congratulations!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, congratulations!