"diet" food....

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's universally true for you.
    For others that's certainly not universally true.
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I never buy anything low fat if I can avoid it. I do, however, have no problem with sugar-free stuff using artificial sweeteners, as long as it isn't sugar alcohols. Maybe I'm not as sensitive as you guys, but most artificial sweeteners taste just fine to me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I'd rather have a REAL chocolate chip cookie made with butter/sugar/chocolate...than the "diet" version sweetened with stevia, and karo...

Wait, Karo is considered a diet substitute sweetener? Isn't it corn syrup? :huh:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    In general, I agree. I don't buy light mayo because, well, read the ingredients. If I'm at someone's house, for instance, and they have light mayo, I don't mind using it. It's just not something I'd buy. I also prefer whole milk to skimmed because it tastes better and it's got more nutrients and isn't as highly processed as skimmed.

I buy "lighter" cheddar cheese, half fat sour cream, and fat free yogurt because I don't notice a difference in taste or texture and it's a small way to save a few calories.

I cook and bake with butter, but use margarine (without trans fats) for spreading because I feel those products work best for those respective uses.

I prefer Diet Coke to regular because regular tastes sickly sugary sweet to me (although my husband's answer is that I should put whiskey in it to cut the sweetness). I drink maybe 2 Diet Cokes a month, so this is hardly a concern.

It really does boil down to what works for you. Although I will definitely raise an eyebrow at anyone who claims eating "LITE!" products are better for you than eating the regular version.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ...I'd rather have a REAL chocolate chip cookie made with butter/sugar/chocolate...than the "diet" version sweetened with stevia, and karo...

Wait, Karo is considered a diet substitute sweetener? Isn't it corn syrup? :huh:

Ok..Im thinking kareb???it's the fake chalky chocolate people like to pretend tastes like chocolate. You're right..haha "karo" is a brand of corn syrup. sorry.
    I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, but are you talking about CAROB?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It really does boil down to what works for you. Although I will definitely raise an eyebrow at anyone who claims eating "LITE!" products are better for you than eating the regular version.
    If the result is lower weight, it likely is.
    For some people, having excess fat and sugar can both be bad for their health too.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    For others that's certainly not universally true.
    It is universally true for all!!!!!! You're all just lying to yourselves....:laugh: :happy:

But I guess if people can eat raw oysters (which they actually just swallow without chewing because they're so vile) and pretend they're fabulous...fat free mayo would be easy in comparison:laugh:
    I remember a guy once tried to convince me I was wrong when I told him my favourite colour is blue. I Bert-stared in real life, so in his memory:
    bert_eyes.gif

As for mayo, there are exactly two dishes I like mayo in : beef salad and cold tongue. Can't cook either one, so it's all academic...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'd rather put the calories toward my snacks (ice cream, Cadbury egg - the things you deem "junk") than on a tablespoon of full fat mayo, which I hardly notice anyway. If it helps my deficit and keeps me on track, there's nothing wrong with settling for lower calorie options (i.e. 40 calorie bread. Tastes good to me!).

I never said there is anything 'wrong" with choosing low calorie alternatives. What I"m saying is don't try to tell others they're "just as good" or taste great. That's a lie!!!!!

I think skim milk tastes great.
    I buy a low fat ice cream that I think tastes great too.
    And low fat mayo tastes just as good to me - admittedly it might not if I ate a spoon of it on its own but since I only ever eat it mixed with other things - like salads, sandwiches etc, I really can't taste any difference.

I know this is hard to believe but I am not lying.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    With the exception of diet soda, I'll agree. Most "substitutes" for pizza, fries, chips, etc. tastes weird and don't resemble anything like the real thing to me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    For others that's certainly not universally true.It is universally true for all!!!!!! You're all just lying to yourselves

But I guess if people can eat raw oysters (which they actually just swallow without chewing because they're so vile) and pretend they're fabulous...fat free mayo would be easy in comparison

Yup, I don't want to eat anything where the selling feature is "you get used to the taste."
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    'Fat free' versions of food are gross (to me). But I can understand someone who doesn't really like mayo using gross (to me) low fat mayo if he likes it...and so on.

I will use substitutes in some dishes...greek yoghurt instead of milk in mashed potatoes etc. I made blondies out of chickpeas one time and they actually were tasty - can't say they were 'healthy' but I thought they were good.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Let's take my day yesterday, towards the end of the day.
    Let's now say I had the option of a slice of cake or some salad with lean chicken and some strawberries and apples to eat after - which would offer me 'more'?

Further information:
    I had already eaten 2.7kg of strawberries (got them for 20p a 300g packet), a whole iceberg lettuce with other salad, plenty of chicken breast.

Would eating more of the same 'nutritionally dense' foods you wouldn't classify as 'junk' offer me anything useful?
    I very much doubt it. Plenty of micronutrients and protein/fibre/etc targets already hit.
    So, while the cake may not have so much, I'm sure it would have been a better choice as far as ensuring a varied range of nutrients - the dairy parts would offers a good variety, at least.

Please don't put words into my mouth. I never said "junk food" should always be avoided. I eat plenty of junk food myself. But after eating enough real food to achieve my daily goals of adequate protein, adequate fiber, 7 servings of veggies/fruits, and some healthy fats, I then only have so many calories left over to eat junk food. Why waste those calories on tasteless low sugar cake? I'd rather eat full fat/sugar dessert foods that are actually worth the empty calories.

Now if you happen to enjoy eating low sugar/fat dessert foods then that's great. Nobody is telling you to stop eating them. Just don't pretend that they are healthy. They're just lower calorie junk foods that IMO don't taste very good.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I like certain low fat versions of food. I cant taste the difference between lighter than light mayo and the full fat mayo, now prefer coke zero to normal coke, love my low fat yoghurt (although i think they are loaded with sugar), lighter spreads taste the same to me and low fat cheese is also good. I always buy these alternatives but think maybe my taste buds have grown accustomed to the flavours. It helps my calorie control and to me they are just as tasty.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about natural healthy food like fruit and veggies, quality mean, nuts etc... I'm talking about
    1. calorie lowered packaged processed foods you buy in a box/can at a grocery store
    2. "healthy" versions of yummy food that you find recipes for on facebook or pinterest..pic looks great..you make it and it tasts like *kitten*.

Not sure about anyone else..but I'd rather have one tablespoon of full fat yummy mayo....than a cup full of plastic bastardized "fat free" mayo that tastes like..well..white plastic.

I'd rather have a REAL chocolate chip cookie made with butter/sugar/chocolate...than the "diet" verson sweetened with stevia, and karo. sorry..but that version is absolutely disgusting...and I hate it when people pretend it's "Just as good". It's not!!! Stop lying to me!!!!

So here is my diet "plan". Eat the damn real cookie. Stop at one. If you don't..and you eat 5....forgive yourself, and do an extra cardio session with in 24 hours.

Seems to have worked for me. :) Yay real food!

AGREE AGREE AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    But after eating enough real food to achieve my daily goals of adequate protein, adequate fiber, 7 servings of veggies/fruits, and some healthy fats, I then only have so many calories left over to eat junk food. Why waste those calories on tasteless low sugar cake? I'd rather eat full fat/sugar dessert foods that are actually worth the empty calories.

It comes down to do you want quantity or quality? Or do you even have the calorie allotment to indulge in the quality?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    So I just tried sugar free pancake syrup, and saved 70 calories on my pancakes. I couldn't tell the difference. All I'm wondering is why it took me so long to try it. And I'm sure going to make good use of those 70 calories.

Foods that don't really taste that different but let me eat more? Yes please.