I wanna move to USA but...

Options
2»

Replies

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Trust me all that are saying stay in S. Africa, don't realise how bad it can truly be... I want to live in a place where I don't have to have tinted windows, to prevent hi-jacking scenarios, I don't want to have to keep my windows closed at all times I stop when driving. I don't want to have to struggle for applying for jobs because I am not "african/black". I don't want to have to have a high wall surrounding my property, with electric fences and spikes, along with a top grade security company to feel remotely safe in my home.

Those are just a few things to name what I don't want, things that I'm currently forced to live with... I'm set to leave the country, no matter what the cost.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Again, what is your trade/skill?
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Again, what is your trade/skill?

Currently, I'm a student studying Business Management and Business Administration.. I'm planning on working in the corporate management field. One day in the future I plan on having my own business however.. I've got it all planned out, time is the only factor
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    It's good to set your goals, even if they are years away.

I would consider the south--Florida, North Carolina, if you want something sunny but more affordable. I think one thing you have to consider is you will be an immigrant, coming from a place of discrimination. Unfortunately you may face discrimination in the future, no matter where you go. For that reason I would consider a larger city, where immigrants tend to flock to and can find their own communities. This is coming from someone whose parents immigrated here to Ohio. I now live in Chicago and like it a lot more. Another consideration is safety, which is a concern--you would have to research carefully about moving into a safe neighborhood no matter what city you choose.

Other thoughts: California is gorgeous but wayyyy too expensive. And I've been to Texas and while some may love it, I wouldn't move there unless it was for an amazing job.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    So there's a big survey of the states called the "Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index"

http://info.healthways.com/wbi2013

If you are going to come without already having a job, then I would think you could just look at the overall results and decide based on that.

If you're going to get a job before getting here, I would sort them by Basic Access or Physical Health.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    OK... for the most part, any place "Sunny and warm" is going to be expensive also.
    Now, many are talking trash about Texas (I am not a Texan) but, Austin is a very modern city and would be a good place to start.
    I personally live in South Florida. It is expensive down here but, North Florida is much cheaper. Jacksonville is very nice and there are jobs to be had for sure.
    Las Vegas also is starting to come alive again. It is not on the coast but, it is hot and you are close to the mountians.
    Believe it or not but, your accent will actually open a lot of doors for you. People seem to think that a British accent = really smart. Yes, I know that your is South African but, to the average American, we can't tell the difference.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Now, many are talking trash about Texas (I am not a Texan) but, Austin is a very modern city and would be a good place to start.
    I personally live in South Florida. It is expensive down here but, North Florida is much cheaper. Jacksonville is very nice and there are jobs to be had for sure.

As a fellow South Floridian, I agree with both of these statements.

Austin is a really fun city!
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Florida is one of those states where each city (that I've been to, anyway) has poor areas, middle class, above average and some very wealthy, all in one city, a few streets apart.
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Well if you want lovely springs, hot summers, colorful falls, and beautiful snowy winters, then Wisconsin's the place to be ;) But you might find Texas or Arizona more to your liking if you want warmer climates consistently.
  • embrace_the_dark_side
    Options
    At the end of the day, it all depends on where you can find a job, what kind of lifestyle you enjoy, and (based on my interaction with many Saffas in Perth) how comfortable you are with diversity.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Currently, I'm a student studying Business Management and Business Administration.. I'm planning on working in the corporate management field. One day in the future I plan on having my own business however.. I've got it all planned out, time is the only factor

If corporate management is your thing, you want a large city for that. Texas actually might be a good option for you, as they have a LOT of corporate level jobs with very large companies there. Austin in particular is booming, as is Houston.

If you're planning on starting your own business in the future, you may actually have luck in the places I've mentioned that do not have a lot of employment options available - i.e., southern Georgia, rural areas of the Southwest, etc. Jobs (especially well-paying ones) are DESPERATELY needed in these areas, and most of the time, the cost of living in such places is dirt-cheap. When I lived in southern Georgia (Valdosta area), housing and food were VERY inexpensive - but it was balanced out by lack of employment options (ESPECIALLY for those with higher education - I was "too qualified" to sling hash but there weren't any available opportunities for someone with a Master's degree. Really, a no win situation all around). You'd be doing yourself a favor by going to a place that doesn't cost a lot to live in and you'd be doing them a favor by having good-paying jobs available to make THEIR lives better, make sense?

Whatever you decide, make sure you know about different tax rates for each state. It can (and does) make or break decisions on where to live in the U.S. Maryland (where I live right now) has extremely high tax rates, so much that people are making conscious decisions to leave there - while Delaware, right next door, has no sales tax at all. Tax rates can range from zero (your best scenario) to over ten percent (D.C.). And localities can also tax - Baltimore City, for example, has property taxes on each house that border on extortion - again, a big reason why people are leaving the area (along with crime and other things, but that's another story).

There is a LOT to consider when you're making a move like this, but since you say it's going to be a few years, this is a good opportunity to start investigating your options.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    California is expensive, so unless you're willing to not save much.. Yeah, sure go there.
    Florida is your best bet weather-wise, as it's in the south and it's relatively cheaper. Really hot there.
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    USA is a nuthouse, there are nicer and better places to live...
    Anyway, good luck with this.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Come to Cleveland, OH. Zooksbrah (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/user/zooksbrah/status ) could use a roommate.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Texas. (I honestly would avoid Texas, waaaaay to much american arrogance infusing that state).

tumblr_m2kuubpq7s1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

Texas. It's where the jobs are.

Arrogance?? What arrogance??
    I Love Texas, it's the best country in the world :wink:

Seriously though... Houston and Austin are probably going to be your best picks here.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Austin, San Antonio, San Marcos, Dallas (if you don't mind a commute), but yes, Texas is definitely worth exploring however, having lived in the San Antonio/San Marcos area, you may want to consider picking up some spanish along the way. Language skills break a lot of barriers.
  • shawnp80134
    shawnp80134 Posts: 86
    Options
    Elusive_Design was right, Denver Colorado is a very nice place to live! I didn't grow up here, but I love it.