burning calories

Options
I have a doubt i heard and of course red a lot about you have to burn more calories than you are consuming and this means if i eat per day 1200 calories i have to burn more than that per day??? i dont get this much...what it means....???is any one there to answer me please...feeling bad to b silly...

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You need to remember that the vast majority of the calories you burn is through just being alive, and normal daily activities. Your body burns calories with all its normal physiological processes. You would burn (let's say for example) 1400 calories just being alive, lying in bed unconscious. Then, you burn more simply by moving around in your daily life. You don't have to burn more than you eat through planned exercise. Exercise can help you add a couple of hundred here and there to your daily burn, but it's not the majority of your daily calorie burn. You absolutely do not have to burn off 1200 calories in a day's workout to lose weight.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Burning more than you eat is essentially correct.......However what you burn is your TDEE, which includes your BMR, non exercise activity burn and exercise burns.

Even without exercising your body will be burning more than 1200 calories, in fact it will almost certainly burn more than 1200 if you were in a coma

Plug your numbers into MFP, set for a healthy weight loss (2 lbs per week is really for people who have 100 lbs plus to lose) and eat back 50% - 75% of your exercise burn and weight/measure everything you eat and drink and you should lose weight at the required rate without being hungry