Water retention experience?

Options
So after coming to the conclusion that im holding water weight, because i have swollen ankles, my stomach has become podgey and i have gained about 2/3 kg in a week, I am looking for ways to differentiate between water retention and fat just so in future i will have a greater idea of what is fat gain and what is water gain.
Does fat feel/look different?
Are there any tests i can do to tell the difference?
Also does anyone have any ways to get rid of water retention other than the usual " chug down loads of water and cut back on sodium" because i have tried both of these for a couple days and not much change has occured.

Also id like to hear what caused other peoples water retention experiences and how long it took them to get rid.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you believe you are retaining water and not able to get rid of it, you should see a doctor.

As to telling the difference between water weight and fat weight - if you're eating at a deficit, any weight gained is water weight. I'm not sure of any tests you can perform that could differentiate, but if you find one, I'd like to hear it. :)
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So after coming to the conclusion that im holding water weight, because i have swollen ankles, my stomach has become podgey and i have gained about 2/3 kg in a week, I am looking for ways to differentiate between water retention and fat just so in future i will have a greater idea of what is fat gain and what is water gain.
    Also does anyone have any ways to get rid of water retention other than the usual " chug down loads of water and cut back on sodium" because i have tried both of these for a couple days and not much change has occured.

Also id like to hear what caused other peoples water retention experiences and how long it took them to get rid.

This is what I drink for water retention and it works. Mix 2 ounces of 100% cranberry juice (Trader Joe's @ $3.99) with 7 ounces of water - make sure you are close to a bathroom for the first couple of days. I try to drink it at least 3 times a day. It really helps to flush out all that excess water, much better than taking water pills.

It must be 100% cranberry juice.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I retain water any time I eat excess salt. Increase your water intake, it seems counterproductive, but it really does work. You can also add a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar to your water. That's a natural diuretic.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

You doc should be able to run a blood test to check your sodium/potassium levels and make sure they are in acceptable ranges.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Excellent word, podgy. :smile:

I retain water like a camel. If I eat more than 1,500g of sodium, I get three pounds in water overnight. If I don't drink at least 11 glasses of water, I get two pounds overnight. If I keep my sodium under 1,500g, eat a ton of protein, cut my carbs a bit, and drink my water, I can lose four or five pounds in water overnight. Many times, it takes 4-5 days for all the water to come off and I'll often have a "bathroom break every 30 minutes like I haven't gone all day" water dump which will eliminate anywhere up to three or four pounds in water.

It's horrible. My only choice is to stay the course and eventually, all the water goes away. Especially when I up my protein. A LOT. If I'm replacing my energy source with my protein instead of carbs, my body lets go of the water.

Disclaimer: This is what works for ME. But you have my immense water-bound sympathies. It's ridiculous how many days I lose weight in a row only to find it all back because I had an extra tortilla or something. Sometimes, our bodies be crazy.

:drinker: